Cagney's Specialty Restautant Concern

tineedancer

The charge for Cagney's is $20pp and yes, the Surf and Turf, Lobster, and Crab Legs options are an additional $10. Not worth it in my mind.

Someone reported they were charged $25 for Cagney's. But, it seems that it was only on the Sky and all of the other ships are still charging $20.

PE

Food is so subjective. PE, I rarely disagree with you. But, this time I have to. I think the surf n turf is worth the extra $. One time we went there when my in-laws were traveling with us (our one adult-only time!!!). And, I had just had my nails done earlier that day. I jokingly said when the whole main lobster arrived, "Now, can someone pick this for me???" I was looking at DH at the time. But, by the time I had picked up my mallet and claw-cracker, the assistant waiter was back with gloves on. He picked up the lobster and proceeded to pick the entire thing for me. Then, he did the same for my MIL. I certainly didn't expect THAT!

OK, it was the level of service that time. But, every other time (including that one), the food was absolutely superb!!! The steak was done to perfection (I like it a little pink). And, the lobster melted in my mouth with every juicy bite. And, the potatoes au gratin exploded with flavor with every morsel. I even sent a thank you note to the head chef for the excellent food.

BUT, this is my opinion. And, I'm sure opinions vary greatly.

Food is so subjective. PE, I rarely disagree with you. But, this time I have to. I think the surf n turf is worth the extra $.

BUT, this is my opinion. And, I'm sure opinions vary greatly.

I guess I should have added that Lobster is not one of my favorite foods. Also, there is so much food to be had at Cagney's that Lobster just seems to be so over the top for me. I always forget to not have lunch on Cagney's night that I just cannot finish my steak and feel horrible that they are going to just throw the leftovers out.:(

PE

I guess I should have added that Lobster is not one of my favorite foods. Also' date=' there is so much food to be had at Cagney's that Lobster just seems to be so over the top for me. I always forget to not have lunch on Cagney's night that I just cannot finish my steak and feel horrible that they are going to just throw the leftovers out.:(

PE[/quote']

Well, I certainly understand that, my friend! Whenever I don't finish my food (which is extremely rare!!! I usually gain 5+ pounds on a cruise), I always bring back a doggie bag and put it in the fridge. I did that once at Teppanyaki and had a very nice snack the next day (in the cabin, of course)! I asked our butler for a caesar salad and if he would kindly heat up my beef cubes from the night before. No worries! It was awesome!

I like Cagney's a lot, and ate there three times in December on two cruises. I think $25 is good because it reduces demand, making it easier for me to get in. My favorite item is the truffle fries. My wife got the King Crab Legs all three times for dinner ($10 extra). It was well worth it for me because she liked them a lot!

Hubby and I recently ate at Cagneys aboard the Jewel.

While it was overall very good, we do feel the extra charge of 20pp is expensive.

I also love lobster, but I couldnt bear the thought of another $10.00 charge, so I didnt order it.

We each had very delicous filet mingons. The side dishes were very good.

I loved the mushrooms, and I asked for more, and they happily brought them.

For appetizer, I ordered the crab cake. It was so small, that I had a hard time not laughing out loud when it was placed in front of me. No kidding! Its about the size of a quarter!

My husband ordered (his favorite) sashimi for appetizer, but did send it back since it was too fishy tasting. He got a shrimp cocktail instead, which was good.

My ceasar salad was good, but soggy, like it was premade a while ago.

Both our desserts were delicious.

Service was good, but not outstanding. We definitely felt rushed.

In our opinion, Cagneys was very good, but it is NOT the caliber dining of Portofinos or Chops on RCL nor The Supper Club on Carnival.

Cagney's doesn't compare with Carnival's Supper Club. I would think it's even a stretch to compare it to RCCL's Chops. I've been to Cagney's many times and have never had them remove the lobster from the tail.

Since you've experienced Carnival's Supper Club, I would be interested to know what you think after trying Cagney's. Please post your review when you get home!

I like Cagney's a lot, and ate there three times in December on two cruises. I think $25 is good because it reduces demand, making it easier for me to get in. My favorite item is the truffle fries. My wife got the King Crab Legs all three times for dinner ($10 extra). It was well worth it for me because she liked them a lot!

Stay away from the salmon, very salty and overcooked. I complained and they did nothing.

The truffle fries are great but since I didn't eat the salmon they not worth the $20 for the meal alone. $10 maybe.....

Cagney's doesn't compare with Carnival's Supper Club. I would think it's even a stretch to compare it to RCCL's Chops. I've been to Cagney's many times and have never had them remove the lobster from the tail.

My experience with David's on Carnival Pride was seriously flawed. Extremely slow service. One of the most arrogant servers I have ever encountered on land or sea. Food was okay but nothing to get excited about.

As for removing lobster from the shell you really don't need the help with real main lobster which is what you get in Cagney's. The little Caribbean Lobsters that are served in the main dining rooms really does need to be wrestled out of its' shell.

PE

Stay away from the salmon, very salty and overcooked. I complained and they did nothing.

The truffle fries are great but since I didn't eat the salmon they not worth the $20 for the meal alone. $10 maybe.....

I find this hard to believe. There are too may people that post when they did not like something it was replaced immediately.

PE

This is why I say observations of food is very subjective. Some people have a very salty "palate" while others do not. I found the salmon to be very tasty. But, again, my own opinion....

This is why I say observations of food is very subjective. Some people have a very salty "palate" while others do not. I found the salmon to be very tasty. But, again, my own opinion....

I don't put salt on anything so I think your right.

But I did love the fries!!

I'm with PE on the extra $10.00 for Lobster, but.. I'm like PE in that Lobster isn't one of my favorites. I would much rather have shrimp. However I do have to say Doug ordered the crab legs once and they were perfection. Of course they came to the table split and all you had to do was scoop the delicious meat out. I have never ordered them because I am like some of the posters where if I leave food behind,I feel bad. Guess that is me being a child or parents who went through the great depression or something... So I rarely order the "extra pay options" in the specialty restaurants.

We ate at Cagney's for the first time a few days ago on GEM. The food and service was wonderful but I personally prefer LeBistro for ambiance--which happens to be only $15pp. Cagney's is a smaller restaurant. You can watch the chefs cooking the steak in the kitchen area--which didn't appeal much to me.

We originally booked Teppanyaki Japanese Steak House but when we arrived there were two babies seated at the table next to us. We asked if there were tables available at Cagney's and immediately left to dine there instead. Funny thing is that when we arrived at Cagney's there was also a table with an infant. Since we spent half of our cruise babysitting our 8 month old twin granddaughters, we didn't want to pay extra $ to dine with other babies.

I always thought that there was an age limit at the specialty restaurants. Guess that has changed. I do think there should be an adults only dinner hour for people who want to enjoy a quiet romantic dinner.

"I always thought that there was an age limit at the specialty restaurants. Guess that has changed. I do think there should be an adults only dinner hour for people who want to enjoy a quiet romantic dinner."

I AGREE! For years in our travels, it's been quite the experience to go to a quiet, romantic beach hotel or restaurant, only to have fussing kids and crying babies next to us. NO, that doesn't mean I hate kids. It means there is a difference between Ruth's Chris, and Chuck E Cheese.

MY beautiful 10 month DD will be with us on the next cruise. And I will personally be with her in the cabin while DW shows my in-laws a good time. One or two nights, yeah, we'll try to go to Cagneys and enjoy, possibly with DD IF it's her nap time. If she makes noise, we'll promptly get a "to go" box, and we'll be outta there.

It's about basic courtesy.

...Since you've experienced Carnival's Supper Club, I would be interested to know what you think after trying Cagney's. Please post your review when you get home!

We ate at Carnival Spirit's supper club about four times on our cruise this past October 2008. Ate there in 2006 also. We had five meals at Cagney's on the Jewel in 2007. When comparing the two, it is entirely different. Cagney's menu is more limited, fewer courses but I prefer Cagneys. Carnival portions are just too huge and too many courses. It borders on almost disgusting to see that much food. We like how NCL portions are smaller in every dining venue. We like to order multiple appetizers and lo-cal choices. Have a few bites and on to something new. You can't do that with Carnival, there would be too much waste. The steak quality in Carnival's supper club would sometimes be inconsistant. But I don't remember EVER getting a sub-quality steak at Cagney. We will be on the Jewel again in March 2009 for more comparisons.

It is SO worth the extra $$ - Cagney's is our favorite restaurant. I paid extra for the broiled lobster tail and it was very very big and cooked to perfection!

I did the same when we ate at East meet West steak house on the Sun (basically Cagneys) it was worth every penny.

Nita

That's a surprise! Even on Carnival, they will remove the lobster from the tail. And on RCI they will debone your duck. ;)

The charge for Cagney's is $20pp and yes' date=' the Surf and Turf, Lobster, and Crab Legs options are an additional $10. Not worth it in my mind.

Someone reported they were charged $25 for Cagney's. But, it seems that it was only on the Sky and all of the other ships are still charging $20.

PE[/quote']

While we really liked Cagney's (three times for dinner on one cruise), the additional charged lobster was without a doubt one of the worst items we had all week. In fact, it was so tough and unappealing with white congealed proteins from overcooking at too high a dry temp that we sent it back and requested filet mignons instead and to have the lobster surcharge removed from our bill. It was tough as shoe leather (well, I actually don't know how tough shoe leather is, so that's just a guess) and mostly tasteless. The part I actually tasted was just "off" in every way. This was when they were still serving the whole Maine lobster. What a disappointment after all the good dishes we'd had at previous meals. We aren't the type to send back items unless something is truly horrible.

beachchick

Archived