Cagney's Specialty Restautant Concern

tineedancer

Several people have mentioned enjoying the Cagney fries - fill me in, what makes them so special??!! Unfortunately, I'm the world's pickiest eater and I like to know what I'm getting myself into before taking a bite! LOL:eek:

Here's a photo...if memory serves, drizzled with white truffle oil and parmesan.

Caribbean cruise 2007

That was quick - thanks! They look good, but I'm not sure about truffle oil??!:confused:

Try it, you'll like it!

I rarely eat french fries, not the healthiest food out there, but these are definately worth the splurge!

we just returned from SKy and found Cagney's dinner good but not exceptional. We parents planned just for us, but due to problems, NCL comped all of us (kids 12 and 14) plus wine for me. We learned from server earlier that day to order entree then ADD the 2 lobster tails (6 oz ea) to create surf/turf.

Boy's salmon was very good and we'r low sodium fans--not salty. I frequently ask for minimal salt/seasoning on fish steaks but totally forgot.

Lobster was bit tough (agree partly w/one review here) Ribeye was outstanding. Crab cakes are very generous (2+inches ea) Salads are hardly remarkable--mine was very osggy--yes--prepared WAY too soon--skip unless you really want one and get apps. Clam chowder was great, bisque was average, shrimp cocktail good, desserts fabulous. Upcharge says $25 at hostess signup but menus varied w/420 or $25 even at our table. NCL did comp the lobster upcharge--I think $35 is far too much; personally I wou;ld regret spending that much on top of our cruise fare.

Bfast at Cagneys is excellent--lunch was heavy-handed--very few snadwich/lunch type dishes.

My report/opinion.

we just returned from SKy and found Cagney's dinner good but not exceptional. We parents planned just for us, but due to problems, NCL comped all of us (kids 12 and 14) plus wine for me. We learned from server earlier that day to order entree then ADD the 2 lobster tails (6 oz ea) to create surf/turf.

Boy's salmon was very good and we'r low sodium fans--not salty. I frequently ask for minimal salt/seasoning on fish steaks but totally forgot.

Lobster was bit tough (agree partly w/one review here) Ribeye was outstanding. Crab cakes are very generous (2+inches ea) Salads are hardly remarkable--mine was very osggy--yes--prepared WAY too soon--skip unless you really want one and get apps. Clam chowder was great, bisque was average, shrimp cocktail good, desserts fabulous. Upcharge says $25 at hostess signup but menus varied w/420 or $25 even at our table. NCL did comp the lobster upcharge--I think $35 is far too much; personally I wou;ld regret spending that much on top of our cruise fare.

Bfast at Cagneys is excellent--lunch was heavy-handed--very few snadwich/lunch type dishes.

My report/opinion.

As far as a salad at Cagneys, I recommend their wedge salad (my favorite salad of all). I believe they serve it with blue cheese dressing, but I always ask to switch mine to thousand island. I have ordered the wedge salad every time we have eaten in Cagneys and it has always been very good.

Great review, I appreciate the candor and details.

What do you mean by 'heavy handed'?

Thanks

I would like to have had entree salad and sandwich choices--they had wagyu beef sliders; hubby's kids got them w/cheese only--each ate half of one and that was it (they were raised on junk food) but they LOVED the fries! (ps--to person who asked--white truffle oil imparts a sort of light earthy scent and taste)

I ordered scallops and they were served on gummy/pasty thick mushroom risotto--a lighter version might be more appreciated by most afternoon cruise diners. The chef there knows how to cook scallops properly.The plate was monstrous--with veggies as well. The 10 oz strip was yum for lunch but maybe a little overkill at 2pm!! I did not regret it and even ate the carrot cake (OMG--super rich).

Service at Cagneys was really great--all meals--and so friendly.

Hope that helps clarify and adds more stuff to ask about!!

Let me get this straight, you can get an above avg steak, lobster tails,(or crab legs) plus appitizers and desert,and order more than 1 tail, or steak ( if you can eat it) for 35 bucks a piece? you can't get it that cheap in any restaurant I know of . I know, I know, the food is incliuded in your cruise, so why pay? even if you divide out the price of each meal and add that cost to the $35 it would STILL be a steal.... A dinner like that would cost upwards of $70-80 a person.

I think I'll be eating there alot on my cruise.

Let me get this straight, you can get an above avg steak, lobster tails,(or crab legs) plus appitizers and desert,and order more than 1 tail, or steak ( if you can eat it) for 35 bucks a piece? you can't get it that cheap in any restaurant I know of . I know, I know, the food is incliuded in your cruise, so why pay? even if you divide out the price of each meal and add that cost to the $35 it would STILL be a steal.... A dinner like that would cost upwards of $70-80 a person.

I think I'll be eating there alot on my cruise.

In the specialty restaurants you cannot order more than one entree like you can in the main dining rooms.

PE

[quote name='S&Dcruising']Opps guess I misread the earlier post.

I do wear glasses for a reason...lol :D[/quote]

Don't worry there is still plenty of food. I always try to skip lunch on Cagney's night because there is so much food. With all of the yummy side dishes to go with your steak there is hardly room for dessert.

PE

[quote=Planer's Edge;17915777]Don't worry there is still plenty of food. I always try to skip lunch on Cagney's night because there is so much food. With all of the yummy side dishes to go with your steak there is hardly room for dessert.

PE[/quote]

I plan to eat like a horse, lol
I can't wait to try all the sugestions from this post.

PE
Have you done the spec. rest. on the Spirit? or are the all the NCL ships the same?

Thanks

[quote=Planer's Edge;17915613]In the specialty restaurants you [B]cannot[/B] order more than one entree like you can in the main dining rooms.

PE[/quote]
At Cagney's you can order a regular entree included in the upcharge PLUS the lobster tails or crab legs for the additional $10. This was on the Sky and it was suggested to me by a Cagney's server, so we did it. They continually offered us extra appetizers IF we couldn;t decide and they did bring an extra shrimp cocktail.

[quote name='SPMorrissey']Stay away from the salmon, very salty and overcooked. I complained and they did nothing.
The truffle fries are great but since I didn't eat the salmon they not worth the $20 for the meal alone. $10 maybe.....[/QUOTE]

I have to agree. I just got off the pearl and ordered salmon at Le Bistro and Cagney's. Both were overcooked and fishy tasting. A waste of the cover charge. The beef dishes at both restaurants were great and well worth the cover charge. It depends what you order. I think you will always find something great tasting to fill you up at Cagney's. I enjoyed the shrimp cocktail and cagney fries very much!
Tammy

[quote name='S&Dcruising']I plan to eat like a horse, lol

PE
Have you done the spec. rest. on the Spirit? or are the all the NCL ships the same?

Thanks[/quote]

Yes, I have eaten in the Specialty restaurants on the Spirit. But, it was a few years ago and they have since moved Le Bistro to where the steakhouse was. They moved the steakhouse to where Le Bistro was and changed its' name from Maxim's to the trademark name of Cagney's.

Cagney's, Le Bistro, Shogun, Teppanyaki, and sushi bar are pretty much the same fleet wide, with different names for the Asian options.

The Spirit does not have the Tex/Mex or Italian options that are available on the newer ships.

PE

[quote name='Vyhanek']I've been to Cagney's many times and have never had them remove the lobster from the tail.
[/quote]

I would be shocked if the waiters at Cagney's DIDN'T remove the lobster from the tail for you tableside, considering as they've done this for me in the main dining room without being asked each time I've sailed.

[/quote]

On our last 2 cruises aboard the Pearl we ate Cagneys. My husband could not decide between 2 different entrees. So the waiter suggested he order both. I said "You can do that?"
His reply was " Sure can!"

I questioned there being a second surcharge and he said absolutely NOT. All you can eat!

So needless to say my 17 year old daughter did the same and between the two of them there was hardly any room on the table for my measley 1 entree meal! :p

PE

Thanks[/QUOTE]I have eaten at some of the specialty dining rooms on the Spirit as well as other NCL ships. they are similar, but a little different.. First choice would always be Le Bistro. Hubby loves Cagney's, I am not as sold on it..Try the Italian dining room, for $10 it is worth it. The atmosphere isn't special, but the food is very good. We also did Shoguns. We had a group of about 10, it was split 50/50 as to how good it was. We loved it, try the short ribs as an appitizer and the desserts are great. You can order as many items as you want. Some of our group didn't think the service was that good, we did. I think it is always tough to try and handle large groups. I will say, our waitress did forget a couple of things.

Nita

Archived