Help!!! Taking 15 yo DD on cruise - Dad is MIA...

willow028

Could not agree more, a pasport and permision to travel are two different and distinct things. You will need a letter, if the agent does not ask you, he is not doing his job. As I said before the cruise ship agents who check your papers are not real immigration and they have no leeway to break the rules. If they miss something they are on the hook PERSONALLY for fines in the five figures.

My husband has an issue with his passport in Fort Lauderdale, not a big thing at all. They detained him for 3 hours in the "warehouse"and waited for "real immigration" to come and clear him for boarding. It took the "real officer' less than a minute to clear up the matter.

You have got some good advice about economical ways to make this happen.

Good luck

Since he's not going to be "making a fuss" about the child going on vacation, don't worry about it! Just go, and have fun! If the child has no father (which this one doesn't) then there's nothing left for you to do.

That isn't the point. He is still her legal father....and, permission from him is required to take his child out of the country. Homeland Security and the department of Immigration require this.

There are ways to get around it. Either get a copy of the custody papers showing sole custody or get a lawyer involved who will draft a legal form attesting to the absence of the father.

Without this form, she can be denied boarding. Mexico (and other countries) REQUIRES it..and without it, they can't disembark in those places.

This law was put in place to prevent child abductions.....not to let people cruise... It's much bigger than that.

Can we do that? NCL said she had to provide the notarized letter at boarding or they couldn't get on the ship... he's on her birth certificate, which she'll be using as her proof of citizenship...

NCL is correct. Without this form or some legal paper attesting to sole custody or the unavailability of the father, boarding will be denied.

It's a U.S. Law......not the cruise lines.

What would you be able to do if Bio-father was deceased? Could there be away around it that way? Would a notarized statement help? I would think the court papers should be enough. What about calling US passport agency, maybe some help..Good luck.

I also ran into passport problem re:handicapped 20 yo son...Needed passport but could not do forms himself...Fotunately he was able to print his name legible enough to get it through....

If the father was deceased, a copy of the death certificate would be required.

I have traveled out the country with my teenage son several times and never had a letter from husband authorizing his travel - no issues whatsoever. In 2007 my sister and I (sister who is the mother was not on the trip) took our nephew along on a trip to Canada (my 16 year old son was also on this trip and no letter from dh). My nephew was 15 at the time with his passport (my sister did wait until he turned 15 to apply for his passport as he is another child with MIA father) and we had a notarized letter from my sister authorizing us to take him to Canada - no issues whatsover. My sister has taken my underage teenage niece on cruises to the Caribbean and she has had no issues. My brother-in-law has never signed any paper for my sister to take my niece on the trip.

I could see if someone were trying to take a small child out of the country but teens 15-17 should be a different story (even the government only requires one parent signature for passport).

Anyway, just sharing my experiences. It is always better to be safe than sorry so I agree with the posters who are recommending to try to get papers drawn up in advance if possible.

In your example, the kid has his own passport---and, it's assumed that the passport was issued after all requirements had been met. There are restrictions on issuing passports for minors also. With a passport, it's a lot easier. With a birth cert, parental permission is required. It's the LAW.

Like many things in life, you won't need it until you do.

She was hesitant to apply for a passport for her DD with her turning 16 so soon simply due to financial restraints (why pay now then pay again so soon) but that may be the way to go.

The statement above sounds like you think the passport would expire when she's 16. I'm not sure if that's what you meant, but if you get a passport for a child, it's good for 5 years, so it would actually be valid until she's 20. It costs $85 for 5 years vs. $100 for 10 years if you wait until she's 16; so it's a bit more expensive, but it's not huge.

That is quite possibly the worst advice I have ever seen here at CC (and maybe on the web anywhere). :( This child has a father (per the original post) who still has legal rights. The original poster needs a lawyer, post haste -- the custodial parent needs a COURT ORDER decreeing that the person with physical custody is also the legal custodian and can take the minor out of the country, or declaring the non-custodial parent dead and the surviving parent the sole custodian.

It's all TOO common to read posts here (in tones of great indignation) expressing dismay that the cruiseline wouldn't permit one (of two) parents to embark to a foreign port with the kids, etc.

The OP's relative needs to take this seriously and act right NOW to get it resolved with legal assistance.

If that's not possible, I'd book a different kind of vacation (Disneyworld or Universal are awesome!) until the child attains majority. "Ignore it, you'll be fine" is seriously mind-boggling advice. :eek: Both cruiselines and customs officials can and often will inquire into whether a minor child traveling with only one parent is in a disputed custody situation. Why put the OP and her family into that bureaucratic maze?

This is quite possibly the BEST advice I have seen on cc. Legal advice is critical here - just obtaining a passport for the minor does NOT solve all the legal issues. Personally, I would postpone any cruise until the child reaches majority.

In your example' date=' the kid has his own passport---and, it's assumed that the passport was issued after all requirements had been met. There are restrictions on issuing passports for minors also. [b']With a passport, it's a lot easier. With a birth cert, parental permission is required. It's the LAW.[/b]

Like many things in life, you won't need it until you do.

Sorry, G'ma, this is just absolutely not correct and you are perpetuating a myth that is constantly posted on these boards by people who have no idea what they are talking about. I have much personal experience in this area.

Birth certificate or passport, it doesn't matter which one the child has. The parent taking the minor child on the trip ABSOLUTELY must have the notarized Permission to Travel letter from the other parent; this is required by law for many countries.

As already stated correctly several times in this thread, just because one parent gives permission to another, or a minor is old enough to apply for a passport with just one parental signature, the other parent IS NOT giving permission for that child to travel out-of-country.

OP - I honestly hope your cousin will seek legal counsel, or your group is going to be very disappointed. If she indeed has sole legal custody, it should not be difficult or expensive for her to obtain a court order for this trip. Again, I suggest she consult the closest free family court law advisor.

Good luck.

My friend and I (both single moms) have been on 2 Disney cruises and 1 RCCL cruise with our kids. All 3 times we were never asked any questions about the kids or asked to provide any documentation regarding the kids. It shouldn't be an issue. Have a great time.

My friend and I (both single moms) have been on 2 Disney cruises and 1 RCCL cruise with our kids. All 3 times we were never asked any questions about the kids or asked to provide any documentation regarding the kids. It shouldn't be an issue. Have a great time.

Great that you had no problem, but I see by your cruises you did not travel to Mexico. Europe and the Caribbean are different. You can't compare your trips to a trip to Mexico.

Sorry to be blunt, but you are just not aware that the laws in Mexico are totally different, and should not be misinforming the OP. I think OP realizes that her sister must not just assume everything will be o.k. without the necessary legal paperwork.

6rugrats is right about Mexico. The laws there that govern who can enter their county are more strict than others...

When researching the information about my cousin's daughter and how to make sure we wouldn't have a problem..I read about the entrance requirements for mexico and they stress the need for a letter of consent by the absent parent or legal documentation stating why the absent parent is not able to give consent...such as a court order or order by a judge to allow the travel.

To be safe go to the State departments website and READ about the entry requirements for any country you are going to, especially when taking children.

Also make sure, if you go and see a lawyer, that they are familiar with this type of stuff. Sometimes your every day run of the mill attorney may know less about this than you do...

Again, thanks to everyone for their information. We'll be going the legal route to get the court order based on everything you've provided and that we've found out.

I can't thank this forum enough for even bringing this to my attention. We already booked the cruise and our travel agent didn't say anything to us about these requirements - and this is something I should hope a travel agent would be familiar with. The advice about checking State Dept. etc. before booking any trip out of the country is sound and you can bet I'll be doing that in the future!

HI, I am the mother of the child that is booked. yes she is 15, soon to be 16 in may. Thank you for all your information and the ideas you have shared. after reading all of this I went and did some of my own research and made a few phone calls.

first of all NCL says that if you do not have a passport for a minor all you need is a birth cert and a parent consent form (printable from the home page) signed and notorized by the ncp. Their rules are that if you can not get a NCP to sign then the child will not be allowed on the ship. If you have a passport this concent form is not needed. the concent for is purly for the cruise line to cover their butt. Mexico does not care.

the passport office says....

all you need to enter mexico at this time from a cruise ship is a birth cert and proof you are the parent. mexico doesnt care about the ncp. but to be on the safe side... everyone should get a passport.

also having sole physical custody is not enough for the parent. the ncp has to have basically no rights to the child (per passport office). if the ncp has any rights to the child then permission to leave the country is needed.

passport office also has a form that can be signed by the parent stating that the father or ncp is mia. you get it notarized and send it in with all the other paper work. it gets sent to two places and someone decided wether or not (after a back ground check) you need to do more to find the mia parent. most cases the passport is sent with in 3 weeks.

the passport rules for under 16 is both parents have to sign OR you have to fill out the paper for the mia parent. once the child turns 16 only one parent has to sign. if i get her a passport now while she is 15, her passport for a minor is good for 5 years. she will not have to get another one at age 16.

i am not mad or angry that there are so many rules, as far as i can tell this is for the protection of mine and other peoples children. i am glad to see that it can be difficult for a child to be taken over boarders with out permission. I am upset with the travel agent for not informing me of the permission needed. I have cruised before but have never taken my children. I never needed this information before. all i ever needed to cruise before was my own b-cert and marriage cert.

as far as legal stuff. I no longer live in the state where custody was granted. if you know anything about law, you know that in order to change anything I would have to gain a lawyer in that state and have a judge grant permission. this is not an inexspensive request, no matter where you live.

I am sad to see some peoples comments about not worrying since he is not in her life, just go have fun. he has rights wether or not he is in her life. and wether he is a good father or not is his own consequence to face when she confronts him or he confronts his maker. and yes if he was dead this would be so much easier, but i am never that lucky.

so thank you for all of the great info. i hope all this helps some other people out too. but...

when in doubt make a few phone calls. the passport office number is 1-877-487-2778.

Please help experienced cruisers!

My cousin booked an early cruise for her DD's 16th b-day - we're all cruising in April to Mexico (US citizens) and her DD's b-day is in May.

Thanks to these forums I learned that consent from both parents may be needed and she called NCL who confirmed (don't get me started on our travel agent who didn't mention this to to my cousin or her friend who also booked a room for her and her DD on the same cruise!).

Problem... bio-father is MIA and he will not return calls to my cousin. She has legal custody but per NCL that isn't enough unless a judge gives permission - and custody papers were drawn up half the country away - not practical to try and get things done that way.

She doesn't know where her daughter's dad even lives anymore - he frequently moves and doesn't notify anyone. She calls his cell and leaves messages, but no answer/return call.

Has anyone been in this situation? Are there any practical options? The guy hasn't seen his daughter in years, doesn't pay child support, etc...

Any and all help is appreciated!

Though it was in 1993, I had exactly this same situation happen. I knew exactly where my husband was at the time--he was on a vacation being paid for by the state, if you know what I mean. I had to have both the notarized letter and proof from the court before I was allowed to board the ship with our three children. This applies not only to Mexico, but also to Canada and other countries as well.

If she had an attorney for the divorce proceedings, s/he should surely be able to help her out with the legalities.

• Administrators
HI, I am the mother of the child that is booked. yes she is 15, soon to be 16 in may. Thank you for all your information and the ideas you have shared. after reading all of this I went and did some of my own research and made a few phone calls.

first of all NCL says that if you do not have a passport for a minor all you need is a birth cert and a parent consent form (printable from the home page) signed and notorized by the ncp. Their rules are that if you can not get a NCP to sign then the child will not be allowed on the ship. If you have a passport this concent form is not needed. the concent for is purly for the cruise line to cover their butt. Mexico does not care.

all you need to enter mexico at this time from a cruise ship is a birth cert and proof you are the parent. mexico doesnt care about the ncp. but to be on the safe side... everyone should get a passport.

also having sole physical custody is not enough for the parent. the ncp has to have basically no rights to the child (per passport office). if the ncp has any rights to the child then permission to leave the country is needed.

passport office also has a form that can be signed by the parent stating that the father or ncp is mia. you get it notarized and send it in with all the other paper work. it gets sent to two places and someone decided wether or not (after a back ground check) you need to do more to find the mia parent. most cases the passport is sent with in 3 weeks.

the passport rules for under 16 is both parents have to sign OR you have to fill out the paper for the mia parent. once the child turns 16 only one parent has to sign. if i get her a passport now while she is 15, her passport for a minor is good for 5 years. she will not have to get another one at age 16.

i am not mad or angry that there are so many rules, as far as i can tell this is for the protection of mine and other peoples children. i am glad to see that it can be difficult for a child to be taken over boarders with out permission. I am upset with the travel agent for not informing me of the permission needed. I have cruised before but have never taken my children. I never needed this information before. all i ever needed to cruise before was my own b-cert and marriage cert.

as far as legal stuff. I no longer live in the state where custody was granted. if you know anything about law, you know that in order to change anything I would have to gain a lawyer in that state and have a judge grant permission. this is not an inexspensive request, no matter where you live.

I am sad to see some peoples comments about not worrying since he is not in her life, just go have fun. he has rights wether or not he is in her life. and wether he is a good father or not is his own consequence to face when she confronts him or he confronts his maker. and yes if he was dead this would be so much easier, but i am never that lucky.

so thank you for all of the great info. i hope all this helps some other people out too. but...

when in doubt make a few phone calls. the passport office number is 1-877-487-2778.

Absolutely brilliant post, and the part I highlighted is SO important. Folks on the web just love to offer advice (anonymously, of course), but so often accurate answers to legal type questions "depend." They depend on the situation, the facts, the ages of the parties, the countries visited, what has happened ahead of time, what documents you have, and so on.

I am so glad that Willow was able to make this inquiry in advance so you could get the advice you needed, and that you came back to give additional input. I also loved your line about "I am never that lucky!" :D

I hope you all have a great cruise!

[quote name='timtanna']HI, I am the mother of the child that is booked. yes she is 15, soon to be 16 in may. Thank you for all your information and the ideas you have shared. after reading all of this I went and did some of my own research and made a few phone calls.

first of all NCL says that if you do not have a passport for a minor all you need is a birth cert and a parent consent form (printable from the home page) signed and notorized by the ncp. Their rules are that if you can not get a NCP to sign then the child will not be allowed on the ship. If you have a passport this concent form is not needed. the concent for is purly for the cruise line to cover their butt. [B]Mexico does not care[/B].

all you need to enter mexico at this time from a cruise ship is a birth cert and proof you are the parent. [B]mexico doesnt care about the ncp.[/B] but to be on the safe side... everyone should get a passport.

when in doubt make a few phone calls. the passport office number is 1-877-487-2778.[/quote]

*sigh*

Yes, your minor child may obtain a passport without the other parent's permission if you cannot locate them. You just have to complete Form DS-3053.

I don't understand your statements which I have bolded, saying Mexico doesn't care. You also say the Passport Office told you if the other parent has any "rights to the child", you need their permission to enter Mexico. It is unclear if your child's father has any rights or not.

If he still retains legal rights to this child, you still need to have the permission to travel letter signed and notarized. This has absolutely nothing to do with NCL.

Mexico signed the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction. This document sets the requirement for the notarized document requirement. Mexico leads the world as the destination with the most child abductions. Immigration will ask you for this letter.

Good luck to you.

Archived