Cayman outings glasses can't snorkle Moby Dick?

lyncde

We will be stopping at Grand Cayman Feb 17th. Some of our group has glasses (no contacts) and bad eye sight and therefore can't really snorkel. Are excursions like Moby Dick tours or stingray sailing still a good choice?

I have poor eyesight and I was able to get a magnifying mask at Sports Authority that works great. I don't remember how much it was but I think it was less then $40. Also, when you are at Stingray city most people don't use a mask. You just stand in the water and the stingrays swim around you. The boat ride is also enjoyable.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Thanks for the reply. Did you purchase the mask in IL? I am in St Charles far outside of Chi. So, would you recommend this type of excursion if you don't have / can't use a mask? Still fun? I don't see any independent excursions to stingray that don't include snorkeling.

Do a google search for "prescription snorkel masks" and you'll find lots of options. I ordered mine a couple of years ago from snorkelcity - it was about $50 - they can handle different prescription strengths for each eye, and it works great. Good luck!

You can search online and find many outlets for prescription masks.

www.prescriptiondivemasks.com will custom grind a lens and fit it to a mask of your choosing. This costs more but provide the clearest possible vision with the ability to fit bifocal, trifocal, or astigmatism correction.

http://www.snorkel-mart.com/detail.cfm?ProductID=121&AllocatedProductID=120 is an example of the more common insert correction. The prescription is not exact but is close enough that you can easily compensate and see quite clearly. This is a more cost affordable option for those who only occasionally use a snorkel mask. Astigmatism correction is not available. a bifocal-type effect may be achieved by adding a small stick-on lens to the insert.

I have had both styles - custom ground or insert, and think there is little difference for my prescription (nearsighted, about -3.25 in each eye with astigmatism).

I would recommend getting a mask that can have the prescription lens installed after you've tried it on. I bought mine online without trying it on first and found out it didn't quite fit my face and leaks a little. I solved the leaking by putting a little bit of petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on the seal.

The best way to see if a mask fits is when you put it to your face and breath in through your nose, the mask stays in place without using the strap.

lyncde - I did get my mask in Illinois but I live near St. Lous. I am sure they would have them in the Chicago area.

The excrsion can be enjoyable without snorkeling. We had a lot in our group that did not snorkel.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

lyncde - I did get my mask in Illinois but I live near St. Lous. I am sure they would have them in the Chicago area.

The excrsion can be enjoyable without snorkeling. We had a lot in our group that did not snorkel.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Hi,

What people did while you snorkel? Do they have to be on the boat or it's a land where they can wait? My mam is 80 and she'll have to wait for us so I'm not sure what to do. We'll be on Century in March.

Please answer.

You have to wait on the boat. My 87 year old dad went with us and he was planning on getting in the water at stingray city but the water was too rough making it very hard to get back into the boat so he just had to sit and watch but he still enjoyed himself.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bought my husband "prescription" goggles and snorkel from Deep Blue Gear....just had to put in what your prescription said (you get a copy from your eye doctor)...and it figures it out. He loves his! Bought them about 3 yrs ago and spent around $50 for the combo. It also came with defogging liquid, a hard plastic case and a soft case.

Do a google search for "prescription snorkel masks" and you'll find lots of options. I ordered mine a couple of years ago from snorkelcity - it was about $50 - they can handle different prescription strengths for each eye, and it works great. Good luck!

If you have your prescription you can order a custom mask from a number of online dive stores. I bought mine from Joe Diver, but there are several on Google.

Archived