Overpacking??

Bibi

I always overpack and really don't want to do that this time. Does it make sense for me to pack less and do a load of laundry on the ship? This is the first time we've sailed on a ship that has self service laundries. Does anyone else do this?

After several cruises and two large suitcases each, we decided to pack a few baggies of sudsless soap, some of those strips your throw in the dryer and a bag of quarters and do laundry on the ship. I do it on a port day, early in the morning and it takes about 30 min on the washer and 30 min on the dryer. Now we take one suitcase each.

Alan

Definitely, we pack a few tabs of laundry soap and I send the wife out to do the laundry on a sea day. Shhh, don't tell her about laundry being an elite perk! :D

Seriously, there are some things that we don't want to send out, and others are just easy enough to do on our own. I've gotten to where one medium-sized bag is all I really need. Sending out laundry, even if you're paying for it, is a good idea, especially if your airline is one that wants to ding you $25 to pack a second bag (on top of $15 for the first).

Definitely, we pack a few tabs of laundry soap and I send the wife out to do the laundry on a sea day. Shhh, don't tell her about laundry being an elite perk! :D

Seriously, there are some things that we don't want to send out, and others are just easy enough to do on our own. I've gotten to where one medium-sized bag is all I really need. Sending out laundry, even if you're paying for it, is a good idea, especially if your airline is one that wants to ding you $25 to pack a second bag (on top of $15 for the first).

We have had the "free" laundry for 8? cruises now and have only had one problem where they bleached out one of DW's tops - no big deal - and pretty good odds. We DO use the elite perks although we always have minutes left on our internet account.

BTW - your room steward does not do your laundry - all he does is pick it up, send it down and deliver it to you. Our steward always did it with a smile.

Ron

I always overpack and do laundry--what can I say?:o I have also had Princess do my laundry and it always comes back really nice, very nicely pressed--much nicer than I do myself!

Wishing you luck on packing less, someday I hope to learn how to do that!

VB1

Depends on length of cruise I guess. I can make do just fine on a 7 day cruise with 1 large suitcase and NO I don't do laundry. I'm on a cruise for goodness sakes. :D

But for longer cruises, 2 weeks or more (God, I wish), I guess I would have to break down and do a load or 2.

Just pack right. Black pants can go with lots of tops. Same with white pants.

What is the saying....take less clothes and twice as much money, or something like that. LOL

No need to polish my halo :D, but we have been traveling with one large suitcase and one carry-on for both of us for quite a number of cruises, even last year on a 19-day cruise! Yes, it can be done - drastically limit the number of pairs of shoes you take, (seriously!) and pack only light, microfiber clothes and combine different multi-tasking pieces. No complete "outfits"...

My secret trick is to start packing a couple of weeks ahead and then taking things OUT!! Works every time and we've never regretted not schlepping more.

The laundromats on Princess are also a great help. The machines are smallish, so I plan on doing a light load and a dark load each week, usually on a sea-day. I don't carry laundry powder, too heavy and bulky, but I take my own dryer sheets in a zip-lock baggie.

Yeah, I know you hate people like me!!:)

I totally agree with swom. If you are going on a short (7 day) cruise you shouldn't need to do laundry. I personally would not, if I consider what my time is worth during those precious 7 days..I am not going to waste a moment doing chores I don't even like doing at home. If you are on a longer cruise you may have to bite the bullet. Last year I did 19 days in Europe on Celebrity and I had to send out to have laundry done. It's not that I am too cheap to spend the $25 for an extra bag...I just don't want to lug around more than one suitcase & a carry on.

Please tell me, someone - what is wrong with using the elite perk to get your laundry done - many posters, including our moderator, seem to think it is abusing the system. Why would Princess add it to their list of elite perks if they did not want people to use it.

Sorry about that Caroline, but it seems you have a double standard going.

Ron

we have used the laundry facilities before to wash stuff like undies/t.shirts so its only been one load. We too try to mix and match outfits......one pair black pants or a skirt and then a few tops for non formal nights. We are driving so don't have to worry about the extra luggage if it happens. Dd is 13 and I am afraid of how much clothes she will bring....lol...she has started to make a list!!

I always overpack and really don't want to do that this time. Does it make sense for me to pack less and do a load of laundry on the ship? This is the first time we've sailed on a ship that has self service laundries. Does anyone else do this?

You meet the nicest people in the self-service laundry. And if someone has left their laundry too long in the washer or dryer, it's okay to take it out.

I always do a load of laundry on cruises that last longer than 7 days. I bring softener sheets and lots of quarters. I purchase the soap powder in the laundromat on the ship.

On our last cruise three weeks ago, DH and I actually underpacked and came in under the 50lb luggage limit for each of us for the first time. I also waited and packed at the last minute (first time) and as a result didn't overpack. So, this system worked for us.

Totally agree - on a short cruise, laundry isn't necessary. On a 15-day cruise, I did two loads on different days and it definitely cut back on our luggage, aka more room for shoes;)!

Besides the nice people I met in the laundry room, several of us also met a laundry hog who took all three washers in one fell swoop early on a sea day morning. People were lined up and not impressed. The laundry one deck down had more machines and wasn't as busy. For the second load I used what seemed to be an unpopular time, around 5 pm on a port day.

If you just need a couple of fresh golf shirts and slacks, send them out! They removed lipstick from my white slacks (with lycra) that turned out perfectly. I was afraid they would shrink (couldn't afford that on a cruise:eek:) but they were perfectly washed and went back into circulation with different tops.

There are lots of lightweight, fast-drying fabrics available now that help to save you the grief of heavy luggage. If you limit the number of pieces that you'll only wear once, no need to pack more if you pack smart. You just end up wearing your favourite stuff anyway.

I must be the lightest packer in the world! Two 26 inch suitcases and 2 very small carry ons is all we ever take on 10 day or longer cruises. This includes all our snorkel gear and the formal clothes. For a shorter cruise it is only one 26 inch suitcase and the carry ons.

Recently I've tried to buy a small bottle of liquid detergent during a port stop. (I hate the powder). Then we just leave it on the ship in the laundry room (someone might want it). Liquid Tide is easy to identify even if it is in Greek! lol...... We burned through a lot of clothes on that cruise! The tours were HOT even in late June/early July/

Several times on cruises I packed laundry supplies but just couldn't make myself do laundry on a vacation. So now I just try to pack less and I wait for the "bag of laundry" special which is offered 1-2 times on a cruise depending on the length. I think it's about $15 for a bag and you'd be surprised how much you can stuff in one of those bags. ;)Barb

we only bring two 24" suitcases and 2 carry-ons for 2 of us - dh would love to get it down to just one 24" bag.

I do laundry on the 10 or more days cruises, but I do it late in the cruise so that I can bring home clean clothes :) and not have to do laundry as soon as I get home.

Most of the day time, however, we're in bathing suits, either at the pool or at the beach and those I was in the sink.

Archived