Your thoughts on Mega Ships

theos on the go

Hi all,

We were thinking of going on a cruise in 2010. Obviously we will be going on a Carnival cruise. We just happen to like Carnival cruise ships.

I noticed that the mega ship Oasis is coming out May 2010. I believe she will carry 5400+ passengers and cruise the eastern / western Caribbean. I have been to eastern Caribbean ports where we were wall to wall with people from other cruise ships. What do you think it will be like when a mega ship "comes to town" (so to speak)? I am a bit concerned about the beaches, etc. I don't mind a little bit crowded but 5400+ people coming from one cruise ship alone might be a bit too intimidating. I'm hoping that we will not be in port at the same time but it can happen with the popular ports.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on the new "mega ships". How do you think this "new wave of cruising" is going to change cruising?

I am sure that lots of people will enjoy the mega ships (or else RCCL would not have built one) ... but they are not for me.

I favor the Spirit class ships. They are just the right size to me....

I don't go on a cruise ship for the things these mega ships offer....I can get that "feeling" every day at home...

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on the new "mega ships". How do you think this "new wave of cruising" is going to change cruising?

In general, the Economies of Scale work for the cruise lines. The ships will grow to fit the Ports ability to accommodate them (like a Koi will grow to fit it's fish tank, then stop). But at that point there becomes a huge incentive to invest in bigger port facilities, and the cycle starts again.

Eventually the industry will find a sweet spot where the passenger demand, fuel costs, port capacity, and economies of scale reach an equilibrium. And of course there will always be smaller, more upscale ships in the mix too. Passengers will have chioces all along the demand curve based on what they are willing to pay for.

I have no idea if we've reached that theoretical point right now. But my money would be on more 150k+ ships down the line.

Hi all,

We were thinking of going on a cruise in 2010. Obviously we will be going on a Carnival cruise. We just happen to like Carnival cruise ships.

I noticed that the mega ship Oasis is coming out May 2010. I believe she will carry 5400+ passengers and cruise the eastern / western Caribbean. I have been to eastern Caribbean ports where we were wall to wall with people from other cruise ships. What do you think it will be like when a mega ship "comes to town" (so to speak)? I am a bit concerned about the beaches, etc. I don't mind a little bit crowded but 5400+ people coming from one cruise ship alone might be a bit too intimidating. I'm hoping that we will not be in port at the same time but it can happen with the popular ports.

This is why we choose our cruises by how many ships will be in port. I personally think some port schedules are way overbooked now........

I'm going to be on the Dream next year and, for me, that's about as "mega" as I want to go. Might even be too big, but I'm looking forward to seeing the new ship and at least trying it once.

There was a program on TV recently about the RCCL Freedom of the Seas (showed their New Year's cruise) and as I watched people wandering around the mall inside the ship it just struck me as not even looking like a ship. I don't mind a large ship, just as long as I still feel like I am on a ship.

There was a program on TV recently about the RCCL Freedom of the Seas (showed their New Year's cruise) and as I watched people wandering around the mall inside the ship it just struck me as not even looking like a ship. I don't mind a large ship, just as long as I still feel like I am on a ship.

When you are on the top deck of the Freedom of the Seas, or by the pool, or on your private balcony, you feel the same as on any Carnival ship. No one forces you to hang out in the mall part.

What they added in the vast interior spaces didn't come at the cost of any of the existing exterior spaces.

Oasis will be out by the end of the year

I agree.....mostly. I think they might make it through the first sailing "season". The curious and newbies will probably keep it going for a while.

But, I predict it will end up permanently docked somewhere as a land-based vacation destination.... Maybe Dubai where they are developing those luxury islands, homes and resorts.

In this economy, it's unlikely they will be able to fill this ship week after week...and, they have the Allure coming out next year (I think it's next year). I also believe there will be too many "for fee" venues onboard that will turn a lot of people off.

I love to cruise and do so 3/4 times a year - prefer 7-days but will take the Fascination on a 4/5 day if the price is right. But, I'd never consider this ship for many reasons; it's size, the fares and prices, the design and the possibility of a 7-day cruise to nowhere during hurricane season......:eek:

When you are on the top deck of the Freedom of the Seas, or by the pool, or on your private balcony, you feel the same as on any Carnival ship. No one forces you to hang out in the mall part.

LOL! Yes donchawknow they put a gun to your head and say "shop":D

They also force you to do things that you don't want to do like........rock climb, flowrider, ice skate, pay for a hamburger at johnny rockets...etc...ROFLMAO!!!!:D:D

But' date=' I'd never consider this ship for many reasons; it's size, the fares and prices, the design and the possibility of a 7-day cruise to nowhere during hurricane season......:eek:[/quote']

Icing on the cake.......going to book Oasis NOW!!!!:D:D:D

My brothers, parents and spouses just booked the Oasis for Jan 2010. I think it looks to be a fabulous ship...so big that the people can be spread out and not feel any more crowded than any other ship. I rock climbed on the Brilliance and thought it was pretty cool. Would love to zip line and flow ride on the ship.

But, alas, my sister & I are the only ones in our immediate family not going. Waaaa. :( Personally, I would love to go on this ship, but I've already been to the 3 ports its going to sail to...St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and Nassau. With 3 children of my own and trying to do at least one family vacation and one couples vacation a year, my vacation $ is spread pretty thin and I just couldn't justify paying $1779 D1 (ext balconies...cool) pp to places I've already been. I will consider the Oasis though if/when it changes itineraries.

Right now though, my dh & I are close to booking a Carnival cruise (1/2 the price) which its been a long time since we've been on Carnival. I think I can live w/out a rock wall, zipline, ice rink, flow rider for $1800 in my pocket instead of theirs.

RCCL does not sail with sold out ships. If they are having problems filling up the other ships they have now, imagine trying to get 5400 people to go on each sailing. Highly doubtful. Unless they start bring down those prices, I don't see how they will fill them all up.

How do you know they aren't sailing at capacity? Inside info? :)

This is why we choose our cruises by how many ships will be in port. I personally think some port schedules are way overbooked now........

How do you know which ships will be in what ports each day? Do you look at each itinerary for each port or ??

The conceptual drawing pics I've seen of Oasis are mind boggling; RCCL has always been aggressive about having the Largest Ship in the World title when taken by another line (thinking of Grand Princess, QM2, etc.) If the economy is still weak in Q4, they may have trouble filling up these monsters, but they sure are fun to look at!

LOL! Yes donchawknow they put a gun to your head and say "shop":D

They also force you to do things that you don't want to do like........rock climb, flowrider, ice skate, pay for a hamburger at johnny rockets...etc...ROFLMAO!!!!:D:D

Kurbanfan, I've always thought you were one of the more sensible posters here. I normally agree with most of the things you post, and even when I don't I think you make good points.

If I've made on the list of posters that irk you, I apologize.

(can I at least have a cooler song for me than an Xmas jingle?)

Kurbanfan, I've always thought you were one of the more sensible posters here. I normally agree with most of the things you post, and even when I don't I think you make good points.

If I've made on the list of posters that irk you, I apologize.

(can I at least have a cooler song for me than an Xmas jingle?)

No lol! I was agreeing with you!! In a sarcastic way....All these extras that Royal Caribbean have are just options.....but some seem to think because of all these options it won't feel like a cruise ship:rolleyes:

Hey ya gotta admit that Christmas song is fitting:p

How do you know which ships will be in what ports each day? Do you look at each itinerary for each port or ??

Well we still use cruisecal dot com.....they now charge for a membership, but I have a family member who joined. Also I think you can do a monthly thing for only $3.00. We find them to be most accurate. There are other sites I'm sure someone on here will mention.

It is a calendar that shows all ports and what day ships will be there.........

Compared to the old days of wooden ships when I started cruising:D, they are ALL mega ships now! Even the oldest, littlest ships are larger than my first cruise. [17,000 GRT, that would be a tender today!:eek:] I don't sail the older smaller ships now, ONLY because they don't do 7 and longer day cruises. If they did, I'd sail them. Big, little, all good to me. I'll sail Oasis when the prices come down. Packin' the ports IS a problem. Many times the actual population of Grand Cayman is outnumbered by cruisers. And traffic is sometimes gridlocked.

Dan

In general, the Economies of Scale work for the cruise lines. The ships will grow to fit the Ports ability to accommodate them (like a Koi will grow to fit it's fish tank, then stop). But at that point there becomes a huge incentive to invest in bigger port facilities, and the cycle starts again.

Eventually the industry will find a sweet spot where the passenger demand, fuel costs, port capacity, and economies of scale reach an equilibrium. And of course there will always be smaller, more upscale ships in the mix too. Passengers will have chioces all along the demand curve based on what they are willing to pay for.

I have no idea if we've reached that theoretical point right now. But my money would be on more 150k+ ships down the line.

That makes sense just in looking at the past . . . bigger ships, bigger ports, etc. All in all going on a cruise is still one of the more economical vacation choices, so the demand will probably still be there. I just hate to see it get out of hand. Some ports believe they can handle larger cruise ships ($$$$) and then it becomes where the fish is too big for the tank and there is no more room to grow (reality sets in).

My budget is what it is and Carnival's eastern/western cruises fit that. Unfortunately, I am sure one day we will be pulling into port next to a mega ship (fantastic looking as it might be) and some of the areas in port we have visited in the past we will be unable to visit again due to crowds. Ahh I guess we have to go with the changes. :)

Such is life. It is truly amazing though how much the cruising industry has grown from small cruise ships to such huge mega liners in the period of 20 years.

Well we still use cruisecal dot com.....they now charge for a membership, but I have a family member who joined. Also I think you can do a monthly thing for only $3.00. We find them to be most accurate. There are other sites I'm sure someone on here will mention.

It is a calendar that shows all ports and what day ships will be there.........

That site is http://www.cruisereport.com/PortsOfCallList.aspx

just click on the port you want and then the day.

Hi all,

All lines sail with almost all their ships sold out.

I think a ship with 2000 people is too big, and I am not sure that I would get on one of those monsters even if it were free and included all on board spending, tips, excursions, etc.

I am to the point if I can't get the smaller ships, I'll save and go on the upscale lines.

All lines sail with almost all their ships sold out.

I think a ship with 2000 people is too big, and I am not sure that I would get on one of those monsters even if it were free and included all on board spending, tips, excursions, etc.

I am to the point if I can't get the smaller ships, I'll save and go on the upscale lines.

I have to admit I have been on one of the larger Carnival ships (actually 2 - the Conquest and the Liberty) and I have been on the smaller (Carnivale and Elation). I actually really enjoyed the smaller -- the Elation did not feel crowded at all and we sailed with a full ship. I know you give up certain amenities but just the same I really enjoyed the feel of the smaller ship. I imagine I will be looking at the schedule of ships in port when we decide when we are cruising in 2010 (Thanks Bakeman!) to try to avoid being in port at the same time as a mega ship. :)

I was looking at the Oasis and couldn't believe everything it had to offer... I would try it once to see how I liked it. I agree with the idea of overcrowding the ports and I could only imagine how long the late line would be for 5,400 people!

I do like the Valor and that is a bigger ship than most. I enjoy the room and places you can go...

I think a few things that should be considered:

About the Oasis not making it past a year - RCCL would never do that. you don't invest millions of dollars on a superliner and then dock it in Dubai. If RCCL came into problems because the ship wasn't able to be filled, they will retire some of their older and less efficent ships before they dock the Oasis.

I won't be on any of the mega liners because they are WAYYY too big. Aside from the sheer size of the ship (my personal preference) the ports will be wall-to-wall people. In fact, I check all of my cruises to make sure that none of the big ships will be close when I am there.

I've often wondered how the locals feel about 10K people coming into town for 8 hour rampages. I lived near the NYC port and I HATED the traffic and all the tourists. blah....

I do agree - some of the perks of the new and big ships are cool, but I'd rather get more personalized service on a smaller ship.

Archived