Taking the ship apart while you are trying to enjoy your cruise

bevi

How would you feel if the ship you were on was been taken apart while you were on it? We were on the last sailing of the Nordic Empress and they started removing railings, we ate breakfast with the demolition crew, and the crew was unavailable in training for the "New ship" while you were still on board. Wouldn't you be a little shocked that RCCL would start the refurbishment of the ship while you were still on board? This is mainly a word of warning for anyone getting on a ship headed for dry dock. The destruction begins on the last sailing even if you paid full price for your Spring Break cruise wouldn't YOU be a little surprised? We were!! Please comment~~

Thats why I passed on a good deal on a 5 day on the Rhapsody..I would also avoid the first couple of sailings coming out of DD...

Its also a little frustrating that now,you dont

get turn down on the first night,and alot of stuff is shut down early on the last evening.

RCI-Rhapsody- 2003

RCI-Rhapsody- 2004

until the return to the Rhapsody of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

netdiver.gif

I think I would be a little upset, afterall, you went on the cruise to relax and be pampered, not quite what you got. Even if it was the deal of the century, I think RCI was wrong to start this while paid passengers were aboard.

Soveriegn 92 E. Caribbean

Majesty 95 W. Caribbean

Granduer 97 E. Caribbean

Rhapsody 00 Mexico

Vision 02 Alaska

Radiance 03 Panama Canal

Brilliance 3/29/04

Radiance of the Seas/Panama Canal 10/18/2003

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;10;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800Are we there yet?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;10;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

My bags are always packed!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;3;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Brilliance 3/29/2004

I understand that the cruise lines have to try and keep the refurb on schedule but they should also be honest and upfront with their passengers that are booked on those sailings that will be affected by this type of work. If anything they should offer a reduced rate and let it be known why the rate is being reduced.

I read similar comments from guests that were on the Monarch for both the pre and post refurb sailings. For me I would avoid those certain dates at all costs.

Sorry that you had to deal with this.

Gordon

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingator

NCL Starward-86, Starship Atlantic-91, Caribe-92, Seabreeze-93, Fantasy-93, Norway-94, Celebration-94, Sensation-95, Imagination-96, Destiny-97, Celebration-98, Triumph-99, Victory-00, Majesty of the Seas-01, Fascination-01, Carnival Pride-02, Majesty of the Seas-02, Carnival Legend-02, Fantasy 7-03, Glory 9-03, Fantasy 11-03, Triumph 3/04.

Navigator of the Seas 12/04/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;12;04;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

You are being nicer than I would be! I can put up with a lot of stuff that may be border line unacceptable - but taking apart the ship while you are still on it and trying to enjoy your vacation is in my opinion totally unacceptable! I am starting to get the impression that RCCL does not share a whole lot of news with passengers. Just my opinion!

Carnival

Fantasy 11/91, Ecstasy 1/98, Fascination 11/99, Paradise 2/00, Imagination 4/02, Ecstasy 5/03, Paradise 10/03

Royal Caribbean

Sovereign of the Seas 4/04

bevi: I absolutely agree with GinaDucey 100% - you are being too kind.

CruisinGator2: How do we find out exactly which dates a particular ship is scheduled for refit, etc.

I would like to know, as well as what exactly is due for changout/repair/etc..

Grandeur of the Seas

05-31-04

I don't think it is just ships going into dry dock. We sailed on the Vision two weeks ago and one day while we were sitting on our balcony, two guys were on the deck above us, harnessed to the ship and they were scraping paint. We had paint chips flying all over us and our balcony. Not to mention it was annoying having to listen to them yelling at each other. I know this stuff has to be done, but there has to be a better time.

AmySP - they are constantly cleaning and painting the ship. The sea water and salt eats away at the paint and stuff, so they are constantly cleaning and painting whenever they have the chance. Even when I was on the Mariner of the Seas, on its SIXTH voyage, they were painting, washing, and even revarnishing the handrails.

Guest OBAYbee

I too agree with the others on this thread. RCCL as of late could use some good PR.

Refurbishing during a cruise, that people paid perhaps thousands of dollars on, added to the disgruntled passengers with beefs about recent changes on some voyager class ships, is not the PR they need.

I sincerely hope it improves. Lately I see more and more negative and less positive about some if not most of their changes. And in this case it is inexcusable IMO.

If I had paid full price, I would be extremely upset. If they had given us a dicsounted price AND let us know what would be happening, I wouldn't feel so bad about it. Of course, I probably wouldn't book the cruise either.

I'd be interested in knowing when a ship is going in for dry dock or refurbishment also. The only times I've learned about it has been on these forums.

Future cruises

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;01;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Monarch OTS - Mexico Baja 1/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;11;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Explorer OTS - Eastern Caribbean 11/04

Past cruises

Vision OTS - Alaska 7/03

Legend OTS - Alaska 7/02

This should be interesting - we are climbing aboard the AOS a week from Sunday (May 2) for a special 10 day sail prior to dry-dock. By booking way out we did get a good price so we'll see if this is why!

Barb

View the AOS May 2nd Conga Line Picture Website

Join the Conga Line! Send your info to me at boliver@thevine.net

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;2;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Adventure of the Seas - 25th Anniversary Cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;6;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Paradise June 13,2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;4;19;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800 Till my baby girl comes home from So. Africa!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bevi:

How would you feel if the ship you were on was been taken apart while you were on it? ... Wouldn't you be a little shocked that RCCL would start the refurbishment of the ship while you were still on board?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It happened to me on the QE2 shortly before she went in to Hamburg for what turned out to be the "refit from hell". We were surprised that they had started work already, and we were even more surprised that they had shut the deck on which our small inside cabin was situated. None of that was quite as good as the surprise at the vast expanses of the high grade deluxe outside cabin that we were re-assigned to. icon_smile.gif

I happened to be in Hamburg the day that she sailed in, and quite by accident saw her coming up the river. But that's another story altogether.

Thank you for the responses. I have attempted to talk to RCCL about it and they really didn't seem to care. I had a really nice woman with the Crown and Anchor Society customer service dept., her name was KARA, and she was very understanding about hope we felt and put me through to someone above her to talk to and that was horrifying. She just sat there listening to me and then with a real attitude said "Are you expecting something for this?" I was like how about an explanation as to whether this is common practice for RCCL when a ship is headed to dry dock? That is the main thing I wanted to know. Well with her rudness I am sure this is the way RCCL handles things. I am going to send an official letter of complaint to RCCL. I agree with what some of you stated. If they would have let us know when we booked that the ship was going into dry dock and that they would begin some of the refurbishment while we were sailing at least I could have made a valid decision. They could have given us a discounted price or suggested another ship. We sailed this exact ship on Jan. 10 and it was awesome so we expected nothing less for April 10 and we paid MORE for the April due to Spring Break. I appreciate the responses and please let this be a good source of information for all of you out there while scheduling your next cruise. Don't be the last sailing before refurbishment unless they tell you and give you a discounted price. We still made the best of our trip and we stayed very positive while on board and headed to other areas where we could to avoid all the inconviences. We still love cruising~~this was our 8th one, second one with RCCL and maybe our last. RCCL needs to be a little more (okay alot more) customer friendly!! Have a great day whatever your doing! bevi

When I was a kid working at summer camp when the last week of the season would come around we were not allowed to take down so much as one unused tent. We could do nothing to give those folks the impression that the last week was any different from any other week of camp.

Here you have people paying thousands of dollars for a vacation and they get less consideration than kids spending a week at summer camp that only costs about $100.00.

Maybe RCI should send some people to Boy Scout camp training school.

how long will the AOS be in drydock?

Glen

CCL Fantasty - 85

CCL Destiny - 99

NCL Sky - 00

CCL Destiny - 01

NCL Star - 02

CCL Inspiration - 03

vegas trip- can I do this on a cruise board?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;7;3;10;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

The big 50 years old cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;3;13;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

RCI Adventure - 05 'BIG 50'

The AOS will only be in DD for 10 days - goes in May 12 and sails again May 23. I have seen postings where it was reported that they are already doing some carpet replacement. As long as there is a way around any work and they don't use materials with noxious fumes, I think I will be ok with it. The itinerary is great and the sailing has been sold out for quite some time.

Barb

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;2;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Adventure of the Seas - 25th Anniversary Cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;6;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Paradise June 13,2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;4;19;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800 Till my baby girl comes home from So. Africa!

I was on the Adventure during the week of March 7-14 and they were changing the carpets then. In fact, two of the guys installing the new carpet were in the cabin next to mine. We didn't even notice the carpet replacement in process. If we hadn't met our neighbors and had them tell us they were on the ship to replace the carpet, we wouldn't have even known.

Hopefully the May 2nd cruise will go as smoothly and any improvements or renovations will not be noticed.

I hope everyone enjoys the cruise...I'm jealous....love the Adventure of the Seas!

Kimberly

Monarch of the Seas 4/02

Disney Wonder 11/02

Adventure of the Seas 10/03, 3/04

"Girl's Getaway" on Mariner of the Seas 11/7/04 !!

Remember Amy - half the experience is the frame of mind you bring with you!

My family once vacationed at DisneyWorld the week between Christmas and New Years and I had heard horror stories about the crowds. We just accepted that as the nature of the beast, built in extra time and it didn't bother us.

Like you said - this sailing was selling for less than the 7 day - if the ship has to look a bit like my house icon_rolleyes.gif for me to get to have 10 days on her (with somebody else cooking) and get to see 7 ports of call - I don't think I'll mind (reserving the right to voice a different opinion if they get outrageous in that dept though!)

Barb

Archived