Best Bear Viewing: Pack Creek vs. Anan Creek

Lanaki

Bear viewing is very important to me during our visit to Alaska. I was wondering if anyone can point out what the differences are between Pack Creek and Anan Creek. Our priority is brown bears since we have black bears in our area (although we can not see them chomping down on salmon as they do in Alaska). Pack Creek on Admiralty Island looks really good but having a hard time trying to book the transportation. Anan Creek also looks good, especially with having both browns & blacks in the same location, and it looks like we can book with someone fairly easily. Do you have any pros and cons on these two areas or any preferences? We will be in both Juneau & Ketchikan the first week of August so can go to either one.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

With your brown bear priority, then Anan isn't going to be a good choice. Although "browns" can be seen, by far, blacks are the given.

Not sure where you are looking for your Pack Creek information, but there is one long established vendor out of Juneau who is excellent. KEY, is to verify your timing and sighting stats.

Thank you for the additional information.

Per my research, via other CC posts as well as the Forest Service web page on Anan Creek, that there was quite the mix of brown & black bear at Anan. But maybe it depends on luck and time of year and such???

The one "main" provider of service to Pack Creek out of Juneau, at least that I know of, happens to have a special trip that day through the Forest Service and the price is much higher and the trip much longer then we had hoped for. (It is a shorter port day in Juneau then the other ports.) So unfortunately on the day we can go out of Juneau it does not work. They were kind enough to refer us to other air providers. So if I can get the permits through the Forest Service myself we may do that. We are looking at that option but wanted to get more information before committing to it.

So I guess Pack Creek is the better of the two? At least that leaves us with the option of ziplining in Ketchikan. :)

If the fish are there, both are excellent. Went to Pack twice and Anan once this past August and each time was spectacular. I won't recommend transport to Anan because it was much less than what was promised (late pickups with no good reasoning, unkept plane (trash in seating area, etc.) and a less-than-charming pilot having a very bad day.

Pack is always easily accessible via Ward Air - we chartered a Beaver for our second trip there the weekend after I was there on a boat overnight at 5-Finger Light...

As I see black bears regularly in the city, the browns are always my viewing preference.

Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case

Thank you Case. That is good additional information.

Funny you should mention Ward Air. They were the only ones who did not respond to my request for information. They were referred to me by the company I would have preferred to take but can not due to circumstances listed in previous post. Maybe I will try to get a hold of them again.

Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.

Funny you should mention Ward Air. They were the only ones who did not respond to my request for information. They were referred to me by the company I would have preferred to take but can not due to circumstances listed in previous post. Maybe I will try to get a hold of them again.

Have you also contacted Butch at Alaska Fly N Fish for Pack Creek??

Have you also contacted Butch at Alaska Fly N Fish for Pack Creek??

I have spoken with Sarah there. She is the one who was kind enough to refer me to the other air operators.

As BQ mentioned, AK Fly n Fish is always worth a shot. (He's a good family friend, and always has my business if the option is available.)

Ward Air is known for doing strictly charter work. They don't do any scheduled flights that I'm aware of. Their rack rates for Pack service are usually quite fair, and the rangers do a good job of orienting you so being self-guided with your own permits is no big deal.

-Case

ooh, ooh, tell us about your trip to 5-finger lighthouse.

This particular trip there were a group of humpback whale researchers setting up their annual counts and ID efforts, so I took the opportunity to snag a copy of their animal ID guide documenting all 2000+ humpbacks known to inhabit SE Alaska for at least part of the year.

Getting on and off "the rock" at 5-Finger can be challenging if seas are rough, but luckily this trip water was flat calm. Sleeping arrangements there are "rustic" but clean and comfortable. Ed, the lightkeeper is a hoot... "local color" doesn't even begin to describe all his tales of gold mining, impromptu Alaska engineering, living on a rock in the middle of the ocean with only fishing boats and whales for neighbors, etc.

Gallons of spot prawns (all the size of the pair in your avatar!) and fresh halibut (caught right off the island 5 minutes before cooking time) for dinner, glacier ice from Tracy Arm to keep your cocktail cold, and good company to while away the evening.

I can go on, but maybe I'll just make everyone wait for the on-the-water blog I'll be posting during my S/B adventure in May... ;-)

Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case

As BQ mentioned, AK Fly n Fish is always worth a shot. (He's a good family friend, and always has my business if the option is available.)

Ward Air is known for doing strictly charter work. They don't do any scheduled flights that I'm aware of. Their rack rates for Pack service are usually quite fair, and the rangers do a good job of orienting you so being self-guided with your own permits is no big deal.

-Case

I would have loved to have used AK Fly n Fish however they have a "special" that day that is much more expensive and too long of a trip for us. But she was very helpful in pointing me towards other operators for our flights, including Ward Air.

I went ahead and emailed Ward Air tonight. (Being so late I thought it better then calling.) If I do not hear back next week I will call them during the day. Hopefully they have something that works for us. I am pretty sure I tried to contact them before and did not hear back. But I have been doing this for so long now (researching and contacting people) that I can't remember any more.

It is good to know that we can be safe even while doing this on our own. We are fairly adventurous, but bear country in a strange environment was a bit daunting. But now I feel a bit better, especially knowing a ranger is close by. :)

Charleston, huh? Used to live in Bend. Company had an office in Coos Bay/ North Bend (moved from one to the other at some point) so was there once or twice. As well as traveling the Oregon coast for vacation. LOVED the West Coast Game Park in Bandon.

Thanks for all of your help!

Lanaki

Already heard back from Ward Air and boy are their prices good! Their response was quick and very informative so add that to the price and we may have a winner. :)

Now I have to be ready for February 20th to get the permits or all of this is for naught. :eek:

Thanks for all of the help everyone.

• 2 months later...

My family (2 adults 2 boys - 8 and 12) will be in Ketchikan July 10. We have a hold on a trip for 4 with Taquan Air to Anan bear viewing. Does anyone know anything about this company? If we go, we will not have any time to do anything else in Ketchikan as our HAL ship is only in port for 6 hrs. I am wondering, given the price of the bear viewing, if we would not have just as nice a day taking a Misty Fjords flight, doing a little shopping, and the lumerjack show. Is this too early for the other bear viewing areas in SE Ak?TNMomofBoys

They are a good company. However, make sure the trip goes to Traitors Cove or Anan Creek. Taquan Air sometimes takes people out to Polk Inlet on Prince of Wales Island once they run out of permits to go to Traitors Cove. Under no circumstance do you want to go to Polk Inlet. It's a waste of money as far as bear viewing goes.

I think your just a little early for prime bear viewing.

Archived