Too crowded train problem in Civitavecchia??

I would like to clarify two issues raised in the thread. The trains to Rome (and I am specifically talking about the local trains) are commuter type trains that do not limit ticket sales. You can buy individual tickets (from the ticket window or the self-service machines) or purchase a BIRG ticket for 9 Euros which covers the round trip local trains plus buses and subways (the Metro) in Rome. The morning rush-hour trains can be crowded, but the worst case would be you might have to stand for a few stops. As to May 1, this is a very major holiday (Labor Day) throughout Western Europe (including Italy). It also happens to be one of the biggest 3 day weekends of 2009. This means that many (if not most) decent shops and stores will be closed for the holdiay. You need to check specifically on each museum and tourist attraction (usually you can Google the places) to find out if they operate on May 1. You may also find that there are fewer trains running on May 1, since they will usually have a holiday schedule which eliminates some commuter-hour trains. I would add that we happened to be in Livorno last May 1 (on a cruise) and decided to rent a car (not easy on a holiday) and drive to Cinque Terre. This particular place is very popular on holidays (with the Italians and tourists) and everything was open.

Hank

I would add that we happened to be in Livorno last May 1 (on a cruise) and decided to rent a car (not easy on a holiday) and drive to Cinque Terre. This particular place is very popular on holidays (with the Italians and tourists) and everything was open.

Hank

Hank, we will be in Livorno on a Sunday in June on Oceania Nautica (small ship and, therefore, no tours offered to Cinque Terre). Because we visited both Pisa and Lucca on a land trip, with a long visit to Florence just two years ago, we want to visit the Cinque Terre this trip. Our ship will be in Livorno for 12 hours (8 to 8). I understand the drive is about 90 minutes. How did your day there by car go? (The train schedule looks like too many connections, with no good connection back to Livorno.) Any advice greatly appreciated.

Pam

Keep in mind that we routinely drive in Europe (and Italy) so we are very comfortable with rental cars. We did the drive from Livorno last May 1 and took another couple along to share the cost. Your major problem might be getting a rental car on a Sunday (check with Hertz) and it sure helps if you can get a car delivered to the pier. We simply drove to Riomaggiore and parked in a paid garage. We than decided to stop in Pisa during the drive back to the ship since our car mates had never seen the tower. It was a perfect day. I have never liked the train schedules from Livorno to Cinque Terre, but it does make a perfect day trip in car...whether it be rented or you hire a private car/driver.

Keep in mind that we routinely drive in Europe (and Italy) so we are very comfortable with rental cars. We did the drive from Livorno last May 1 and took another couple along to share the cost. Your major problem might be getting a rental car on a Sunday (check with Hertz) and it sure helps if you can get a car delivered to the pier. We simply drove to Riomaggiore and parked in a paid garage. We than decided to stop in Pisa during the drive back to the ship since our car mates had never seen the tower. It was a perfect day. I have never liked the train schedules from Livorno to Cinque Terre, but it does make a perfect day trip in car...whether it be rented or you hire a private car/driver.

Hank, thank you so much for the information. I drove in northern France in 2007 and shorts bits from Katakolon to Olympia and on Santorini last fall, but never in Italy. Is it a pretty direct route? Or a lot of twists and turns? The train schedule simply is so lousy, and I really don't see what a private driver will add to our day, other than cost. After you parked, did you walk the rest of the day? Which trails and towns did you visit?

Thanks again for your help.

Pam

Good Morning GSPLover..

I'm back with another question..I have reviewed the trentalia website and timetables for our trip from Civitavecchia to Rome..As discussed, May 1 is a national holiday in Italy..I was concerned the trains would run on a holiday schedule..In your previous post you mentioned departure tracks change with the type of train..The times I have selected are for IC or IC+ trains..Would know what tracks this type of train will depart from Roma Termini?

Times Selected..

Depart Civi 0752

Arrive Roma 0844

Depart Roma 1546

Arrive Civi 1635

There is a later Regional train but wanted to save it as a backup..

Thanks again for all your help..

Carol

We will be there on April 12, Easter Sunday, of all days. Do you think trains will run as usual that day? How long is the ride to Rome?

Are there multiple stops when you get to Rome?

Thanks so much for the website link...I have my homework cut out for me!

First let me say I am NOT an expert on Italian trains..Thanks to the gentleman named GSPLover I have been able to educate myself enough to feel 'fairly' confident about taking the train from Civitavecchia to Rome..I would also like to remember others on CC who have helped me too..What I can tell you..

The trip takes 45 minutes to 1.5 hrs depending on the train..I didn't bookmark them but there are websites where you can see the various stops..The IC or IC+ trains don't stop at each station..making the trip shorter and if I read correctly will run despite a strike..

I antiscipate large crowds in Rome May 1..I believe they have free concerts in P Bernini..but, Oh Boy...You can be sure...Rome will be DOUBLE PACKED on Easter Sunday...

Good Luck..

Carol

Good Morning GSPLover..

I'm back with another question..I have reviewed the trentalia website and timetables for our trip from Civitavecchia to Rome..As discussed, May 1 is a national holiday in Italy..I was concerned the trains would run on a holiday schedule..In your previous post you mentioned departure tracks change with the type of train..The times I have selected are for IC or IC+ trains..Would know what tracks this type of train will depart from Roma Termini?

Times Selected..

Depart Civi 0752

Arrive Roma 0844

Depart Roma 1546

Arrive Civi 1635

There is a later Regional train but wanted to save it as a backup..

Thanks again for all your help..

Carol

The IC and IC+ trains depart from the platforms that are closest to the main terminal building. Which track (binario) is anybody's guess. Try to be there at least 15-20 minutes earlier and check the main departure board at the main terminal number. Remember, check for the train number as your destination (Civitavecchia) may or may not show up on the board. The destination might well show up as Genoa.

GSPLover..

As always..my gratitude is unmeasurable..Thank you again for your prompt responce and expert advice..

I have noted the train numbers but will recheck them before leaving for our cruise..We are on a TA cruise leaving Fort Lauderdale 4/18..will be in Rome 5/1...In your oppinion..how likely are the train numbers to change in that time period?..

Thanks,

Carol

We dock for Rome on Sunday August 2 on our Oceania Insignia cruise.Is Rome open? I figure most of the shops to be closed and the Vatican mussiams. I also read that it might be a big vacation time in Italy.We have been to Rome a few time's thinking of heading some where else while where there. Any suggestions.

We have taken the train multiple times when there were lots of other ships in port--no problem except some depating pax had their luggage in the aisles--oh, well.

When you get off the shuttle, turn right and walk back along the waterfront for about 3-4 blocks to the station on your left. The newsshop where you get the BIRG tix is right there--and they guy knows exactly what you want/need just by looking at you!

If I may chime in, it is very easy to leave the train, or catch the return train, from the San Pietro (St. Peter) station which is closest to the Vatican. Small station and you avoid the huge walks that you encounter at Termini. Termini is closer to the Colosseum and you can catch the Metro there, but it is very confusing, not well marked, and huge. Plus, they charge to use the bathroom and you must have exact change! I recommend San Pietro whenever possible.

One thing to remember: YOU MUST validate your ticket in the small, non-descript yellow box on the platform. Hefty fine if you don't (and they catch you. No one has ever asked me for my ticket anywhere in Italy, BTW). Keep reminding yourself! You have to look for it!!!

Cathy

I think you've been lucky. We've been asked to show our ticket at least four or five times. The first time we rode the train to Rome, though, we hadn't punched our ticket. A very nice man sitting by us told us we would be fined if they checked. Luckily, they didn't. We have been very careful since then.:)

Hlitner, we are planning a trip to Cinque Terre in November. We have been considering taking the train, but it looks very confusing. How difficult is it to rent a car in Livorno and drive on to Cinque Terre? Also, how much did it cost to rent the car. My husband lived in Europe for several years when he was in the service, but has never driven in Italy. (From what we've seen, the traffic can be wild and they don't seem to follow normal driving procedures!) Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks! Mary

I think you've been lucky. We've been asked to show our ticket at least four or five times. The first time we rode the train to Rome, though, we hadn't punched our ticket. A very nice man sitting by us told us we would be fined if they checked. Luckily, they didn't. We have been very careful since then.:)

I always ponder tempting fate by NOT buying a ticket--luckily the sane part of my brain prevails! But I had been duly warned before out first train journey when it was all new. Got to the station, figured out the machine, got the tix and went and plopped ourselves down in the train. Luckily it was the one that pulls up almost to the station on that first track. So we're sitting there ready and anxious to pull away, and all of a sudden it dawns on me--I DIDN'T VALIDATE!!! I threw my stuff at DH and RAN off the train in the pouring rain, as fast as I could lumber, frantically searching for the validation 'machine". I could just imagine the train pulling away and DH heading to Rome alone! Finally I spotted the little yellow box, shoved my tickets in and ran back as fast as I could without falling on my keister on the wet pavement. Made it with about a minute to spare. Needless to say I never forget to validate now!

When we were in Athens this year, or Piraeus, it was so much simpler--they had little machines in front of the turnstiles--you couldn't miss them. If the ones in Italy were any more nondescript, they would be invisible!

Cathy

GSPLover..

As always..my gratitude is unmeasurable..Thank you again for your prompt responce and expert advice..

I have noted the train numbers but will recheck them before leaving for our cruise..We are on a TA cruise leaving Fort Lauderdale 4/18..will be in Rome 5/1...In your oppinion..how likely are the train numbers to change in that time period?..

Thanks,

Carol

Train numbers are extremely stable. I started my 'train site' specifically for memebers of our 6/07 cruise. The site has grown multifold since then. I check train schedules on a very regular basis and have yet to see a schedule where the train numbers change. (could happen -it's Italy)

Check them when you get to Italy - I doubt that they will have changed.

GSPlover your website is truly invaluable for all of us who do not want to miss the boat! http://www.ftroute.com/ItalianTrains.htm It should really be a "sticky" on this board.

Clarification. The diamond symbol means that the train STOPS at Civi. but does not terminate e.g 16.09 ex Termini.

The diamond symbol means that the train does not stop at Civitavecchia - it just keeps on chugging along. Means that you have about 2 minutes to get off the train. Know what time you are due to arrive and be up and near the door five minutes before hand.

Archived