Skywalkers or Club Fusion?

muffydawg

We're fixin to board the Emerald on February 28th and DH has promised to hit the clubs with me. We're 50 and 54 years old, fans of Journey, Aerosmith, Allman Brothers, Kiss, ZZ Top, Robert Palmer, 80's Hair Bands (remember "Flock of Seagulls"?), and all things danceable from those 2 decades; clearly we are a couple of leftovers stuck in the 1970's and 1980's as far as our music tastes go.

Would you recommend Club Fusion or Skywalkers for us?

Last Feb on the Grand, Skywalkers was virtually empty the couple of times we tried it. Both times it was mixed modern dance tracks. They put club events/music specials in the patter so watch out for information. Didn't have club fusion I don't think :confused:. I'm looking forward to trying that when we sail next week on the Emerald. I'll get back to this thread when I return if I remember. :)

I am a big U2 fan. The first evening at sea a U2 live concert was played on MUTS. Couldn't believe my luck :D

Root out the DJ in Skywalkers soon after you embark (or that evening) tell him what you want and you might find he will accommodate your requests and even schedule in a special night. Of course if you got him a drink at the same time.......

Last Feb on the Grand, Skywalkers was virtually empty the couple of times we tried it. Both times it was mixed modern dance tracks. They put club events/music specials in the patter so watch out for information. Didn't have club fusion I don't think :confused:. I'm looking forward to trying that when we sail next week on the Emerald. I'll get back to this thread when I return if I remember. :)

I am a big U2 fan. The first evening at sea a U2 live concert was played on MUTS. Couldn't believe my luck :D

The Grand Princess doesn't have the ClubFusion, I was on the Grand last year and I can confirm. I think ClubFusion are on the newest boat. I am leaving on the Crown next week, so I will be able to experience it :D

We're fixin to board the Emerald on February 28th and DH has promised to hit the clubs with me. We're 50 and 54 years old, fans of Journey, Aerosmith, Allman Brothers, Kiss, ZZ Top, Robert Palmer, 80's Hair Bands (remember "Flock of Seagulls"?), and all things danceable from those 2 decades; clearly we are a couple of leftovers stuck in the 1970's and 1980's as far as our music tastes go.

Would you recommend Club Fusion or Skywalkers for us?

Alot depends on what kind of band is playing in Club Fusion... we had a disco-ish band before and the dancing was quite lively.

If your in skywalkers you can request the dj tp play your tunes. I found out they are pretty cool about doing that,especially when it's not too crowded. In in "confusion" they have the house band that plays what you like 70's and when no band there is the dj again. PS a little tip is to ask the dj what he wants to drink and deliver him one..... He will spin whatever you want......:cool:

Last year on the CB out of NYC, Explorer's Lounge had a great classic/modern rock band called Wavelength. They also had a karaoke- like event where the band played and you could sing along. Great fun. They played much of what you described.

As for Fusion, they host lots of theme events and Princess Pop Star. They do have a few times where they have a DJ and he will take requests.

In Skywalkers, before 11:00 PM, you may be able to make requests for the music you were talking about. From 11:00 onward, though, it's usually more modern dance/pop/hip hop. I am into the music you described (except Flock of Seagulls,lol). I am also a musician so I love live music.

It's all about requests. They will accomodate you if they can and the crowd dictates it. I do doubt though that at 1:00am you'll hear Dream On in Skywalker's,lol.

Enjoy,

F

If you do request music from the DJ it makes an amazing difference for further requests if you actually get up and dance to your request. If you don't most DJs will 'lose' further requests from you (although a drink can repair your misdemenour)

Both Club Fusion and Skywalkers are brill. The only thing is Skywalkers tends to be for the young as the old folks go to bed pretty early....me included

I thought Skywalker's stayed open until the last people went to bed, but found out it's not true. We were given 'last call' and 'last dance' twice last week on the Ruby at about 2:00 to 2:30 AM. Not bad for an ol' man of 52 and my trophy wife!!

A few years back, the Skywalker's DJs pretty much played what they wanted to and couldn't care less about what the paying passengers wanted to hear. Alot of what I call 'thump-thump' music drove us out numerous times. They'd only have a request night once during the week. Our last 2 cruises in the past 4 months were decidedly different. DJ were more open to requests and they had at least 4 nights of 'All Request Express.' I guess that all those comments on the Princess end of cruise surveys really do matter!!

Club fusion has audience participation 'shows' and theme nights with DJs and bands. That sometimes limits their options to play requests that don't fit the theme. Otherwise, requests are accepted. Club Fusion does tend to close earlier than Skywalker's, however.

Happy Sailings,

Paul

Archived