When did Princess change the egg crate mattress toppers?

Toto2Kansas

I admit it, we had an entire year between cruises, sad by true. But I was not expecting the egg crate mattress pads to shrink in that year. ;)

On our cruise last month on the Grand, those mattress toppers that made the extra firm mattresses tolerable for us 'Princess and the Pea' types had gone to a thin piece of foam, barely an inch thick, and instead of the normal egg crate design that we have grown used to in the past, it was more of a slight dimpled thin hunk of foam. Our room steward told us that ours was brand new, and we could tell it was by looking at it.

Just wondered when these changed? The other type they always used in the past seemed to really do the trick, and they were quite thick with the egg crate design. But these new ones barely did a thing to the extra firm mattresses.

Just wondered when they changed the type they used, and if they are now using these on all ships? If so, time for us to pack a memory foam mattress pad to take along with us I guess. Even after two weeks, we just never found the beds comfortable at all.

"Sorry to start another 'bed war' thread, but I honestly would like an answer to this so we will know what to take along on the next voyage if this new type is being used fleet wide".

I admit it, we had an entire year between cruises, sad by true. But I was not expecting the egg crate mattress pads to shrink in that year. ;)

On our cruise last month on the Grand, those mattress toppers that made the extra firm mattresses tolerable for us 'Princess and the Pea' types had gone to a thin piece of foam, barely an inch thick, and instead of the normal egg crate design that we have grown used to in the past, it was more of a slight dimpled thin hunk of foam. Our room steward told us that ours was brand new, and we could tell it was by looking at it.

Just wondered when these changed? The other type they always used in the past seemed to really do the trick, and they were quite thick with the egg crate design. But these new ones barely did a thing to the extra firm mattresses.

Just wondered when they changed the type they used, and if they are now using these on all ships? If so, time for us to pack a memory foam mattress pad to take along with us I guess. Even after two weeks, we just never found the beds comfortable at all.

"Sorry to start another 'bed war' thread, but I honestly would like an answer to this so we will know what to take along on the next voyage if this new type is being used fleet wide".

We were on the Star Princess in October, had an eggcrate, believe it was fine.

We were on the Star Princess in October, had an eggcrate, believe it was fine.

Our last cruise before the Grand was also on the Star, and we had no problems with the egg crates they used on that ship. These on the Grand though were totally different and very very thin. Maybe the Grand is the only ship using this type?

I noticed this too when we were on the CB in October 2007. At first I didn't think there was an egg crate but I looked and it was there. Very thin but the best was comfortable. When we were on the Sapphire in October 2008, it was definitely thicker. I wonder if this is a cost-cutting measure.

Probably got a great deal on cheaper eggcrates and "cheaper" is not always better as you have just proven!!

Wonder if we can get a double eggcrate???? :confused:

I will admit to being an egg crate hog. ;) We ended up with three, and even then it didn't work as well as one of the ones they used to use.

We had booked a PH suite, and although it was lovely, the beds were not. :(

Yep, packing that memory foam for the next cruise, that's a definite!

It sounds like maybe they are slowly adding these thin foam things (with no egg crate baffles as before) to all of the ships, or at least adding them as the need arises and the old ones need replacing. :mad:

I just don't know why the beds on Princess have to be so darn hard!

The beds on HAL, Cunard and the new ones on Royal Caribbean are all fantastic. I love Princess but on the Golden I felt like I was lying on plywood (and those were the new ones, apparently - I didn't mind the 'old' ones on the Crown).

I just don't know why the beds on Princess have to be so darn hard!

The beds on HAL, Cunard and the new ones on Royal Caribbean are all fantastic. I love Princess but on the Golden I felt like I was lying on plywood (and those were the new ones, apparently - I didn't mind the 'old' ones on the Crown).

Was there a sale on those mattresses and now new laughable version of 'egg crates' -must be the only explanation..

I also prefer RCL, Celebrity & HAL beds to Princess...

Are u listening 'Princess'???

Me too. I never sleep better than when I'm on a cruise, and I partly credit that to the Princess beds. I love them.

But, I understand Toto's point, and think that there should be a happy medium. I find that the memory-foam mattresses some hotels use are a very good compromise.

funny you should say that Toto. On the Crown in 07 we had a wonderful eggcrate and slept like babies. On the CB this past October the mattress and "eggcrate" were horrible. I felt like I slept on concrete and actually felt like I had bruises. It was horrible. I'm disappointed that they didnt replace the horrible mattresses according to early reports on the CB; guess I'll have to sleep on the sofa again this year!

funny you should say that Toto. On the Crown in 07 we had a wonderful eggcrate and slept like babies. On the CB this past October the mattress and "eggcrate" were horrible. I felt like I slept on concrete and actually felt like I had bruises. It was horrible. I'm disappointed that they didnt replace the horrible mattresses according to early reports on the CB; guess I'll have to sleep on the sofa again this year!

Let's just say I was really considering taking those lounge pads off the chairs on the balcony and sticking them under the sheet this last cruise (as they were three times as thick as the new mattress pads). ;) I didn't, but I considered it. Yep, the couch was looking a lot more inviting then the beds on this one also.

We both could always make due with those old egg crates, not the best, but it made the beds tolerable. These new egg crates are like using absolutely nothing on the beds now, so sad that they changed them. And I agree, we both felt bruised each morning when we awoke, and Advil was our best friend for the back aches. :(

Probably changed vendors or something... I'm sure the old ones were well used... and abused. :D

I'm thinking same thing,,,,,,,,,,the older , really egg crate looking ones seriously must have some bacteria-harbouring issues with all those "dimples"....... The whole thiing about "foam" that is not washable really really bothers me. maybe this newer type is a different material and cleanable????????

As someone mentioned above we were on the Star and that was right after drydock and they still had the original egg crates mattres.. Now I will be on the Coral this coming April and I will certainly check that out. Toto I am the same way as you are; got to have those egg crates for a good night sleep.:eek:

Marilyn

So it's not just me then!

I did a double take last time, and then convinced myself that is was just a worn out one, but it looked pretty new. (I THINK Star Oct 2008)

They are different, and really not very good.

Old design worked great. New design doesn't cut it.

I too am probably going to start bringing my own, depending on how small I can make them for packing.

I welcome any suggestions. Would memory foam be more packable?

Archived