Weather in April/May - What clothes?

sailaway5

We cruise from Vienna to Basel (our first river cruise) the end of April and first of May, 2009 (Uniworld). Would love to hear from anyone who has cruised this time of year about weather --- and what type of clothes to bring. We want to keep to one checked bag each. I suspect it may be rather chilly and thinking layering would be necessary.

Any help or hints would be appreciated.

You are correct to plan to layer. Also make sure you have a very good wind breaker/rain jacket. You may also want to carry a pair of gloves. It may be very cool or a nice warm Mid 60's day.

Check the weather at www.accuweather.com Put in the major cities you will be visiting.

It will help with determining if you will be visiting during a cool week or a warmer week.

Have a great trip.

MSEm

I always carry a wind and water proof layer that will fit over everything. You might want to look for one that "crushes" into a fist sized ball . . . also think about a set with pants too. Camping and golf stores are good places to look.

We took the same trip at the same time two year's ago. If you are a sun worshiper, don't forget to take shorts for the sun deck and possibly tours (my wife forgot hers and we had to spend valuable time shopping for some there).

We took the same trip at the same time two year's ago. If you are a sun worshiper, don't forget to take shorts for the sun deck and possibly tours (my wife forgot hers and we had to spend valuable time shopping for some there).

Or a pair or two of "convertible" hiking pants . . .

MSEm, jrhllt & CPT trips --- thank you all for your valuable tips. I have already set aside the items you have suggested to prepare for my packing.

I have also made note of the accuweather site --- thanks for that tip also.

Good advice! Also,I like to make sure I have a lightweight turtle neck. To carry all the of layers when no longer needed, we hook a tiny KIVA backpack on a belt loop.....very handy. I hope you have nice weather. It can go either way....snow in April, not uncommon. Have a wonderful cruise. ..........Joan

Archived