Has anyone taken the train from Montreal to Quebec?

No. No one has ever done that. The train leaves Montreal absolutely empty, every single day. :)

Here's the problem... there are two different train stations in Dorval, Via and the AMT. The AMT is the local train and it goes from Dorval to Windsor station, which is a few streets or a metro ride from Gare Central. Via offers a service called Air Connect for CAD$12 including a shuttle from the airport to the Via train station. But it's a very limited service and I don't know if you can book it online. You can call 1-888-VIA-RAIL for information.

You can also take the shuttle bus into Montreal. I'm not sure of their policy on the train station. They used to stop there, but it's been quite a while since I checked it.

The train is relatively quick (3.25 hours) and comfortable. About CAD$55 one way. First class is about CAD$90. It should be a quick taxi from there to the ship.

The other choice is Orleans Express which runs a shuttle from the airport to Quebec City. It's CAD$67 from the airport to Quebec City. See http://www.orleansexpress.com/Corpo/service_aeroportuaire.aspx It runs 5 times a day at 11H00, 14H00, 17H00, 20H30 and 21H15 and takes 4.25 hours (because it stops in downtown Montreal and in Ste-Foy on the way to Quebec City. The bus station is in the back of the train station in Quebec.

Hope this helps.

To add to Ephraim's info, the train/bus station in QC is extremely convenient for the port - much more so than the airport. Indeed, you could probably walk it in about 15-20 minutes, or even take a city bus (it's about 3-4 stops).

• 3 weeks later...

We have taken the train from Montreal to Quebec City (Via Rail) but we did stay in Montreal overnight beforehand after our transatlantic flight. I think our train was around 12:30PM and we booked a companion fare, as this was the most reasonably priced way. It is not an interesting journey but was extremely comfortable and efficient. Our luggage was checked in, in the same manner as checking in at an airport. We would certainly repeat the journey if we ever had the need.

For anyone who is reasonably fit and has a good rolling suitcase, I suggest to walk from the train station to the dock. IMHO, it's less than 15 minutes (with the suitcase) and very nice if you walk on the boardwalk near the water. You could even stop at the market to buy products for the region (vegetables, fruit, wine, liquor, cheese or honey made by my mother and father in law (Miel Leclerc) - if you do, try the Buckwheat Honey, you can't buy this type of specialty honey in grocery stores and it's different from the honey you are used to).

Archived