LIVE from Explorer with a bad propellor 2/1/09

megr1125

Royal is not going to tell anyone anything. They are not going to tell us that the Captain has been relieved from duty because he caused millions of dollars in damage to the pod.

They are not going to tell us that they were able to only cut away the bent pieces of each prop blade and that it will not be replaced until drydock in 2010.

They are not going to tell us that every cruise will have some port hours chopped off because the ship vibrates when it hits 20 knots.

And why won't they say anything, because people will cancel or cry for OBC's.

Royal has never been very open with its passengers. When a company is experiencing hard financial times they get even more tight lipped.

And you know this because...:confused:

I'm on an upcoming cruise as well (a little over 5 weeks out). It's my big Five - Oh! birthday so my DH and I will be having a great time no matter what.

I can't see how all of this speculation is helping the situation.:(

From Canadian Commodore's Review of his 2/1 to 2/13 Cruise. Plus, if you search other cruise forum websites, and there are many, you will see similar comments from passengers on the last cruise and live from the current cruise. I am just summarizing what I have read.

"A final note on the propeller. According to my dive instructor who had talked with the divers doing the work on the prop...pieces were cut off each of the blades to bring the prop back into balance. While Explorer won't be able to reach her top speed, whe will remain functional. She's rumored to go into drydock in 2010 and another rumor is that to replace the propeller with a new one will be around the 12 mil mark."

I think that is exactly the point. We are not talking about something that comes up during the sailing that causes a port to be missed, we are talking about something that RCI has known about for almost a month. They should be well aware at this point if there are to be any port time changes or cancellations. I completely understand if there is a weather or safety issue that causes a port to be missed, but that is not the case here.

On my last cruise we missed Grand Cayman because the water was too rough at the dock to tender. (Although there were two Carnival ships on the other side of the island). Was I dissappointed, yes, did it affect my cruise enjoyment, no, we had a beautful day at sea.

For people to keep saying to check your cruise contract, is not only not applicable to this situation, it is totally unreasonable.

Esbie11 has mentioned that her cruise is costing her $22,000 including her wedding. To tell her that she should have booked an island vacation is just ridiculous. For her to be stressed and concerned is to be expected. She should be able to get a straightforward answer from someone at this point. I, for one, wish her all the best and hope everything works out.

Can we not stop defending RCI for just one minute to see that they might possibly be wrong on this one???

JMHO

As always the squeeky wheel always gets the grease.

If you have a complaint I would suggest calling RCCL

From Canadian Commodore's Review of his 2/1 to 2/13 Cruise. Plus, if you search other cruise forum websites, and there are many, you will see similar comments from passengers on the last cruise and live from the current cruise. I am just summarizing what I have read.

"A final note on the propeller. According to my dive instructor who had talked with the divers doing the work on the prop...pieces were cut off each of the blades to bring the prop back into balance. While Explorer won't be able to reach her top speed, whe will remain functional. She's rumored to go into drydock in 2010 and another rumor is that to replace the propeller with a new one will be around the 12 mil mark."

I would love to read a live thread from someone who is on the ship right now.....can you provide a link?????

Another $12 million expense?

Not something they can afford right now....makes sense to hold off as long as possible.

Live from the Explorer:

Sorry I haven't written for a couple of days. We have been hitting the ports with out any problems. Today was St. Thomas. No crane or divers so no more repairs. Tomorrow is San Juan, but only about 5 hours there. 6:00 to 11:00 am and then on our way back to Bayonne. They had to change or cancel some of the excursions for San Juan. Other than that the cruise has been great. A lot of kids since it is Presidents week. I guess that the next cruise won't have that experience.

Live from the Explorer:

Sorry I haven't written for a couple of days. We have been hitting the ports with out any problems. Today was St. Thomas. No crane or divers so no more repairs. Tomorrow is San Juan, but only about 5 hours there. 6:00 to 11:00 am and then on our way back to Bayonne. They had to change or cancel some of the excursions for San Juan. Other than that the cruise has been great. A lot of kids since it is Presidents week. I guess that the next cruise won't have that experience.

Thanks for the update - glad you've had no more problems - we go on the 22nd and I'm glad to hear the kids will be all done cruising! :o:o

Live from the Explorer:

As I said on the other thread, thank you! This bodes well for the next cruise leaving 2/22. The current cruise only had 3 hours shaved off it's San Juan visit to make it home. The next cruise already had several hours more time to make it to San Juan and an extra day to make it back from Antigua, so we may not lose any port time at all!! Yeah!

If I am right, that means all the screaming and yelling about RCI not telling us about a delay was all wrong. :eek::o:D

Royal is not going to tell anyone anything. They are not going to tell us that the Captain has been relieved from duty because he caused millions of dollars in damage to the pod.

They are not going to tell us that they were able to only cut away the bent pieces of each prop blade and that it will not be replaced until drydock in 2010.

They are not going to tell us that every cruise will have some port hours chopped off because the ship vibrates when it hits 20 knots.

And why won't they say anything, because people will cancel or cry for OBC's.

Royal has never been very open with its passengers. When a company is experiencing hard financial times they get even more tight lipped.

So are you saying that Carnival or Holland America would tell their passengers everything up front unlike RCCL?

As always the squeeky wheel always gets the grease.

If you have a complaint I would suggest calling RCCL

Not complaining...put me on a ship and I am happy, don't care where I end up!

I was just getting sick of the cheerleader routine, that's all.:rolleyes:

On EOS right now - NOBODY is saying anything about the Propeller - no word as to why San Juan was changed - they have cancelled about 3/4 of the excursions - time in San Juan now scheduled for 6 am to 11 am - what a worthless stop - few of the shops will be open - not enough time to get to a beach - they should have just cancelled the stop - what bothers me more than anything is the lack of information coming from RCL - it is like everyone has been told to be quiet.

Very Annoying from someone who usually defends RCL.

Lou

Thanks for posting your info.

How much time did you lose in your other ports? I have private excursions booked and it would be really nice if we knew what was happening before we got on the ship and had to pay for international phone calls or Internet connections. If they have the info when you board, they should be able to give it to you 24 hours in advance so you can make arrangements before getting on the ship.

We are on the 12 night in March, so hopefully the next cruise will be an indicator of what our hours will look like.

We are on a 9 dayer the end of March..and I keep checking RC site to see if they have changed anything timewise in the itinerary but as of last night, they had not-and it was showing that the cruise is totally sold out. I myself feel RC should let its customers know exactly what is going on beforehand and what we should expect as far as the time in the Ports . If everything were to stay the same (itinerary wise)-I am sure nobody would have a problem. RC needs to lay the cards on the table and let the truth me known....I don't want to be a 100 miles at sea and find out that the problem has gotten worse either:eek:. I know I am still going regardless and I am planning on having a great time. In my opinion-they could forget about 3 of 4 Ports and throw Bermuda in there as an alternative(wishful thinking on my part!). ;) Susie

nana nancyThanks for the info. Did I miss something, is it fixed and if not when will they do it? Just curious. Today 06:36 AM

Nana-From what I have gathered on this thread, it appears that they "rigged" it up so they are able to sail.....the speed will need to be decreased because when it hits 20 knots it vibrates-

Does anyone have the menus from the 12 day?? How about Portifino's? How dressy

do you have to be to eat at Portifinos?

Portifino asks that you get dressed up, jackets for men etc. I did wear a jacket and tie as did many diners but there were also those in more casual attire. At a minimum, slacks with a collared shirt for men, dress or pants suit for women. The food at Potofinos is excellent, far ahead of the main dining room. Enjoy.

nana nancyThanks for the info. Did I miss something, is it fixed and if not when will they do it? Just curious. Today 06:36 AM

Nana-From what I have gathered on this thread, it appears that they "rigged" it up so they are able to sail.....the speed will need to be decreased because when it hits 20 knots it vibrates-

That's what happened when the ship was first damaged. We sailed with the engine shut down and made a tad over 19 knots. It doesn't seem that the ship is making more speed now than it did on the 1/23 cruise

I am on the ship on the way home from San Juan. We are making 20.6 knots - not as fast as it would usually go. Our first and last stops were cut short - we did not get into Labadee until 9 am - so my planned 9 am trip to a private beach got moved to 12 noon and I had to cancel plans to do something in the afternoon at Labadee. Samana was, I think, unaffected. We were in St. Thomas for a slightly longer time - not leaving there until 7:30 - which did not really help the shoppers since the stores all closed at 5 pm - but there were a number of people who used the longer hours to go eat dinner ashore. San Juan was the hardest hit - we got in at 6 am and all aboard was 11 am - most of the excursions got cancelled, lime mine (the ATV ride). The ones that were not cancelled were quickly sold out when you went to change them. RCL did get some of their recommended stores to open early - but most of the town was closed and the bottom line was that most people felt the stop in San Juan was a waste of time - and, then, to top it off - it was rough on the way back - and they had to close the main pools because of the waves.

Most people on board are aware of the problem - but there has been ZERO communication in an official manner from RCL - but all the crew knows what happened and are open about it.

If you are going on this 9 day trip out of NY - it WILL be different no matter WHAT RCL says - so plan accordingly. This entire trip we have never gone over 20.6 knots.

Lou

I am on the ship on the way home from San Juan. We are making 20.6 knots - not as fast as it would usually go. Our first and last stops were cut short - we did not get into Labadee until 9 am - so my planned 9 am trip to a private beach got moved to 12 noon and I had to cancel plans to do something in the afternoon at Labadee. Samana was, I think, unaffected. We were in St. Thomas for a slightly longer time - not leaving there until 7:30 - which did not really help the shoppers since the stores all closed at 5 pm - but there were a number of people who used the longer hours to go eat dinner ashore. San Juan was the hardest hit - we got in at 6 am and all aboard was 11 am - most of the excursions got cancelled, lime mine (the ATV ride). The ones that were not cancelled were quickly sold out when you went to change them. RCL did get some of their recommended stores to open early - but most of the town was closed and the bottom line was that most people felt the stop in San Juan was a waste of time - and, then, to top it off - it was rough on the way back - and they had to close the main pools because of the waves.

Most people on board are aware of the problem - but there has been ZERO communication in an official manner from RCL - but all the crew knows what happened and are open about it.

If you are going on this 9 day trip out of NY - it WILL be different no matter WHAT RCL says - so plan accordingly. This entire trip we have never gone over 20.6 knots.

Lou

Thanks for the update Lou. We are on the same cruise at the end of March. It appears that RCL will be running this slower, shortened, ports cruise till they can repair this propeller in dry dock. I don't have a problem with a shorter San Juan stop, but it seems almost worthless for those hours (6:00AM-11:AM)! I hope RCL will open up their communication, and just revise the itinerary. Anyway, we'll still have a blast. It sure beat's working! Bob

lou - thanks for the truthful update. nice to know what is REALLY going on!!

ok, rccl who lurks on the boards. instead of chiming in when you think someone is acting inappropriately - it's time to step up and chime in regarding the actual FACTS we are getting from people on the ship live. some people booked for certain ports and booked exursions (rccl ones and private ones) and if hours will be changed dramaticlly, etc. we should be told. instead when each of us has called several times over the last week, we get told that nothing is changing at all. that's flat out bull.

there i've said my peace and i should be able to expect honest answers from rccl on this. they have hundreds and thousands of dollars from all of us and we deserve respect.

can you tell i've had enough!:eek::mad:

lou - thanks for the truthful update. nice to know what is REALLY going on!!

ok, rccl who lurks on the boards. instead of chiming in when you think someone is acting inappropriately - it's time to step up and chime in regarding the actual FACTS we are getting from people on the ship live. some people booked for certain ports and booked exursions (rccl ones and private ones) and if hours will be changed dramaticlly, etc. we should be told. instead when each of us has called several times over the last week, we get told that nothing is changing at all. that's flat out bull.

there i've said my peace and i should be able to expect honest answers from rccl on this. they have hundreds and thousands of dollars from all of us and we deserve respect.

can you tell i've had enough!:eek::mad:

Hey Polly, brilliant minds think alike, but you said it better than I could ever have........... I hope we, (on the 3/27 cruise), have better information than these folks, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Bob

It seems that both of the last two sailings have had a rough time on the way back to NJ. Anyone have any idea if this is simply weather related (or typical for this time of year), or if it is due to the prop problem? I am so disappointed. We have 20 friends and family sailing and we paid for 16 of them. None of them have cruised before and we have been talking up how great it is since we booked 2 years ago. We told them about the lobster (now no longer offered), the ports (now seemingly cut short with cancelled excursions), and have comforted some nervous folks about how you don't even know the ship is moving and to not be afraid of rough seas (now, apparently the past 2 sailings have had a rough time, enough to make the pools unusable and folks sick). Please don't respond with the "Well I'll have fun no matter what" line. I get it. I'm sure we'll all have fun too. But we were trying to win everyone over to the world of cruising, but with all of these changes it seems as though it will be more of a disappointment. This is not the type of experience we wanted for everyone:(:(:(

It seems that both of the last two sailings have had a rough time on the way back to NJ. Anyone have any idea if this is simply weather related (or typical for this time of year), or if it is due to the prop problem?

We were on the ship this same week last year and we had smooth sailing all the way home. It was actually hot and sunny on the Friday going home, we were at the pool all day. It only got cooler Sat AM, which the captain said was very unusual. The temp. being warm was unusual. There had been a snowstorm while we were gone so (I think on Friday while were were laying at the pool!) so we arrived home to snow on the ground.

Archived