Young children and noro-virus outbreaks

Sandy R

In April we're taking our family on a cruise to Mexico. In the past few years, before boarding, we've had to sign a letter re: noro-virus. Luckily, we've never sailed with an actual outbreak. Still, when DH and I cruise, we take certain precautions, noro outbreak or not. This time our 3 1/2 year old grand-daughter is sailing with us... and she sucks her thumb when she's tired. I would appreciate hearing how parents deal with young children and a possible noro outbreak.

Sandy

bring hand sanitizer and use it often. I just keep one in the bag or stroller with us. We have sailed with our DD who is 3 now 6 times and she has never once gotten sick on board. its mostly spread through touching the buffet utensils and elevator buttons since so many people before you touch it. Your granddaughter wont be serving her own food but sanitize after the elevator if she likes to press the buttons like mine does.

Julie

Hi, try not to worry, as long as she washes her hands freqently I'm sure she'll be fine, we went on the IOS with out DD when she'd just turned 2 and she also sucks her thumb, we just made sure she washed her hands regularly and always had a packet of wet wipes with us wherever we went to use as and when

This is a huge fear of mine! DD is 7 but chews her nails and does it unconciously, and I'm can't nag her every single time she does it (if only because I don't notice every singe time LOL). Guess I'm just going to have to be extra vigilant w/ the sanitizer and hand wipes.

Now i just have to keep her from getting any kind of cold at school in the next week and a half- we leave on NCL Star on Valentine's Day...

Don't be fooled into thinking that ships are the only place to be concerned about noro virus. Your child is just as "at risk" of catching it in everyday situations. My child has been on two cruises so far (and she isn't even 2 yet) and not been sick at all. However, she got noro virus 4 times at her daycare as they were not following proper sanitary recomendations. The virus can live in areas for quite a while, so even if a place doesn't have an outbreak, it doesn't mean you can't pick up the virus from a contaminated surface and become sick. I would say just follow the same precautions that you would at home - frequent handwashing, wiping of surfaces, etc. Obviously, if you discover there is an outbreak while on board then you should step it all up a few notches, but otherwise just relax and have fun!

Archived