Menu Descriptions

Payd

Do you really read the menu descriptions in the dining room?

We enjoy eating lunch in the dining room on sea days...but have noticed a recurring theme.

It seems that some people can't be bothered with reading the menu descriptions.

For the last three cruises we have seen someone in the dining room order the California Roll and then "freak out" when the waiter puts it in front of them. Some form of "get this sushi away from me", or "omg is that raw fish in there", is either loudly said or at worst shrieked at a waiter. Each time I think...my goodness can't you read before you order?

Have you ever seen this?

I've not seen it with the menus, but I see it all the time with the travel invoices and documents. For instance, I'll print an invoice that reads "Valid US Passport is required for this trip." They'll receive the invoice from me, and not read it (or at least not read that part) until a week or few days before they leave and then call me in a panic. :rolleyes:

Do you really read the menu descriptions in the dining room?

I ALWAYS read descriptions of anything before I order. I'm a picky eater, so I don't want to look like an idiot by ordering something then complaining. It's rude, considering you're complaining about something you specifically asked for.

Just my opinion, though. Some people can't be bothered with reading, I suppose. ;)

I read most of them but often what I order can be something entirely different.

On the Miracle a couple of weeks ago, one of my tablemates ordered the Ceviche. Being from Southern Arizona and familiar with the Mexican Version of Ceviche, I was expecting a true Mexican Ceviche in a bowl, like a soup. Instead he got 4 pieces of Tuna, that had or maybe had not seen lime juice to cure it, a few pieces of Red Pepper and Tomato and some Cilantro--all set on an appetizer plate. No Juice. Needless to say, he rejected it and no one else ordered it either.

LOL people are too much huh? I always try to order something "different"

If I don't like it I share it with my husband (actually if I do also) or just don't eat it, but I've never gasped and made rude comments, or raised my voice about it. To me cooking beef to shoe leather is an ultimate sin, punishable by hard time in the kitchen washing dishes, lol but I'll usually just pass on eating it rather than make a scene.

In fact I've never seen anyone over the age of 12 act like that on a ship, although one older woman almost pushed my husband down cutting in front of him and demanding the "boy" get her some CRISPY BACON :eek:go figure.........

Carole

I always know what i want to order in the dining room.

However, one time in the supper club they gave use some stuff that i did not know what it is. Now, i will eat anything, but i need to know what it is. In this case, i had a few drinks so i ate snails and some other stuff that DW did not want. Will not do that again.

I always know what i want to order in the dining room.

However, one time in the supper club they gave use some stuff that i did not know what it is. Now, i will eat anything, but i need to know what it is. In this case, i had a few drinks so i ate snails and some other stuff that DW did not want. Will not do that again.

Next time would you send them to me please? I don't even need the drinks.

I do read the menu descriptions. I am an avid cook and food study/cooking is a hobby of mine...If I have any questions about the menu I always ask.

Unlike our last set of tablemates...wow! I wont go into all the details but heres a sample "why is there cheese and bread in my onion soup?"...right there on the menu, topped with cheese crouton. Or "why is there cheese on the veal parmigiana?" It was like this EVERY night!!

I'll have the steak tartare, well done, please!!:p

As a previous poster noted, we try to taste new dishes on each cruise - but would never make disparaging comments about it (as we can get something we know we like instead). When we took our 4 kids on a cruise, they each were required to try a new food each day, and each found something new that they liked!

I do read the menu descriptions. I am an avid cook and food study/cooking is a hobby of mine...If I have any questions about the menu I always ask.

Unlike our last set of tablemates...wow! I wont go into all the details but heres a sample "why is there cheese and bread in my onion soup?"...right there on the menu, topped with cheese crouton. Or "why is there cheese on the veal parmigiana?" It was like this EVERY night!!

Your table mates may have been relatives of those sitting near us. Except that there was shrieking involved, and berating of the wait staff.

Your table mates may have been relatives of those sitting near us. Except that there was shrieking involved, and berating of the wait staff.

LOL!! If they also complained that the cheese was too gooey and too "cheesy", then we've got a winner!

LOL!! If they also complained that the cheese was too gooey and too "cheesy", then we've got a winner!

Yup...to top it off it looked like cheese and smelled like cheese.

Same people:eek:

Yup...to top it off it looked like cheese and smelled like cheese.

Same people:eek:

That is just insane! Oh, there was one shrieking moment with them...this was the worst by far. On the "Study in Sushi" plate/appetizer, there is ahi tartare...so the one lady says "ohhh, wonder what this is"..outs it in her mouth...2 seconds later she literally SPITS it out onto her plate and announces "What the *&$@ this is RAW!".

I dont get it..I've tasted things that I didnt care to much for but didnt make a flippin spectacle out of it!

Archived