Spring break question.....March or April 2010?

Grits53

Are there typically more Spring Breakers on cruises in March or in April? Which month or particular weeks would be more popular for college kids and which ones for younger kids? I know spring breaks vary from one school or college to the next, but surely certain weeks or months are more common for them. Would it be the weeks before and after Easter? Thanks for your input.

Are there typically more Spring Breakers on cruises in March or in April? Which month or particular weeks would be more popular for college kids and which ones for younger kids? I know spring breaks vary from one school or college to the next, but surely certain weeks or months are more common for them. Would it be the weeks before and after Easter? Thanks for your input.

http://www.tripsmarter.com/panamacity/springbreak/sbcalendar.htm for 2009 dates.You can figure 2010 from it.

Steve

In the Memphis area, the schools are out in March, with no attachment to Easter - that whole Church and State thing.

You can also tell by the cruise prices. Even in Feb, the price for our cruise went up. It seems that the kids in LA get a week off for winter break - with Spring break not coming until April.

Later. JMM

Here in Georgia, most colleges out sometime during March (dates seem to be staggered; my two are never out at the same time). Most of the K-12 school systems seem to be out starting the first Monday in April every year (sometimes it falls in with Easter, sometimes not). This year, April 1 is on Wednesday, so our spring break starts Monday, April 6.

We have cruised for the past three years for spring break with our kids and it has been the last week of March or the first week of April......and there has been quite a few kids on board with us every time!!! Fun , fun, fun!!

As an example, my kids have spring break April 6-10 this year. We booked a cruise on the Splendor April 5-12. Based on the roll calls for this cruise compared to other april cruises, it seems the week we're going is not as popular as the other weeks.

Here in Texas most everyone has March spring breaks and most of those are mid March. They try to time it so break happens right after the state TAKS testing week.

this is correct for tx. (mid march). i believe for 2009 it will be the week of march 10th.

we sailed the ecstasy out of galveston last march 22nd and it was the spring break for louisiana. the week before had been tx. spring break. but.....here in louisiana the kids are out good friday and the following week, regardless of when easter is. for 2010 easter will be april 4th so that is when the spring break for the entire state will be.

we have sailed a total of 4 spring break cruises (in 10 yrs.) and honestly none have been an issue. believe me i would say something if it had been.

Mid-March to mid-April is a good rule of thumb. I wouldn't worry about though. We saw some partying last year at the main pool on the Lido deck, but it never got out of hand and there were lots of other areas to hang out on the ship. We constantly asked ourselves where all those kids went at night, because we never saw or heard them. Straight to the night club I guess?

College springs breaks tend to be in the middle of the semester which is usually the first two weeks in March. College students tend not to impact cruises too much, they really haven't caught on.

The bigger issue with young people on a cruise deals with high school and younger kids. They tend to cause more commotion because they run around. The college students tend to fill the clubs and have a crazy time around the pool when they finally get up. Most of them don't cruise because there is not enough to do at night and it is too hard for them to get alcohol on the ship. The drinking age everywhere in the Caribbean is 18 or less so they tend to go to places like Cozumel or Cancun, and that is what they prefer.

High school breaks tend to be the week before or the week after Easter. That is when the ships are over run with younger kids who run all over the place, fill the elevators, etc.

If I have a choice I would much rather be with the college crowd than the K-12 crowd.

It seems to me that spring break for college students would really not be an issue. You have to have at least one adult 25 or older per room which would prevent rooms full of college students. Since I work for the school system [k-12] I have to travel during our spring break week which is always the week before or after Easter. There are plenty of kids onboard those weeks.

but.....here in louisiana the kids are out good friday and the following week, regardless of when easter is.

I have to say that one confuses me. :confused:

Anyway . . . the Central Florida tourist attractions will be looking at a five-week period begining with the second week in March as peak Spring travel season in 2010.

It seems to me that spring break for college students would really not be an issue. You have to have at least one adult 25 or older per room which would prevent rooms full of college students. Since I work for the school system [k-12] I have to travel during our spring break week which is always the week before or after Easter. There are plenty of kids onboard those weeks.

FYI, you only have to be 21 to book a room.

• 4 months later...
this is correct for tx. (mid march). i believe for 2009 it will be the week of march 10th.

we sailed the ecstasy out of galveston last march 22nd and it was the spring break for louisiana. the week before had been tx. spring break. but.....here in louisiana the kids are out good friday and the following week, regardless of when easter is. for 2010 easter will be april 4th so that is when the spring break for the entire state will be.

we have sailed a total of 4 spring break cruises (in 10 yrs.) and honestly none have been an issue. believe me i would say something if it had been.

I live in Louisiana and in 2010 our kids have spring break the week before Easter...we have from March 29- April 2 off going back to school on April 5, 2010...thats why i was trying to figure out when everyone else was off to plan our next vacation...the next parish from us only have good friday off and their spring break doesn't start until April 20 something! Go figure, i don't know whats up with that.

I live in Louisiana and in 2010 our kids have spring break the week before Easter...we have from March 29- April 2 off going back to school on April 5, 2010...thats why i was trying to figure out when everyone else was off to plan our next vacation...the next parish from us only have good friday off and their spring break doesn't start until April 20 something! Go figure, i don't know whats up with that.

As someone who has worked in a resort area for years, college spring breaks are always in March, the youngins mostly fall the week before and after easter.

Year in and year out spring break runs the same time. It starts with colleges around the first of March and can run until mid April. K-12 starts early March and goes until late April, with the weeks before and after Easter being the busiest.

If you want to avoid a lot of children do not cruise March, April, June, July August or December.

It depends on the region. Most of the Northeast and Midwest have their Spring Breaks all through out the month of March. The West Coast is based around Easter.

If you are doing a cruise out of FL, then I would say something in April is a safe bet.

It depends on the region. Most of the Northeast and Midwest have their Spring Breaks all through out the month of March. The West Coast is based around Easter.

If you are doing a cruise out of FL, then I would say something in April is a safe bet.

Depends on when Easter falls. That is usually why the rates are usually high for the week before and after Easter.

Archived