Help with SS cabin on Prinsendam

lipoppop

The SS cabins on the Princendam are on the Veranda deck. Above them on the Lido deck in the aft section is the lido restaurant and bar. In the fore section are S cabins. The most forward SS cabins seem to have a larger veranda as I look on the HAL deck plan of the ship.

Need suggestions as to whether the noise from the Lido deck will be a problem. Also whether the veranda in the forward cabins albeit larger have disadvantages. My TA has suggested cabin 52 which is right under the Lido bar.

We have never sailed the Prinsendam. This is for the May 2005 transatlantic NYC to Barcellona. I looked into the A cabins but they seem much smaller than those in the S class ships that we regularly use. We were very unhappy with an A on the Westerdam- much smaller and poorly laid out. So will opt for the SS unless there is a caveat I should beware.

Thanks

Lipoppop

The DW agreed to this because it leaves from NYC and she has always wanted to spend time in Barcellona. Now I have to convince her that the Nov 2005 Singapore to San Diego that I booked on the Amsterdam will not be too boring with those 20 days at sea. Can use some help there. No not a new roommate, some help.

We were just on the Prinsendam in SS cabin 056, which is just two cabins aft of 052. Nothing from above was any problem whatsoever. I only recall hearing something like a table being moved twice in a 13-day sailing. We will return to the Prinsendam next August in SS 051. These are very spacious cabins with a walk-in closet. Our veranda was more than sufficient. The only reason someone would want more room out there, IMO, is if they planned to do a lot of entertaining.

Hi Lippopop,

I will send you the Dining Room plan as asked. We were actually in 051 which Jim has booked for his next trip. We did hear the tables and chairs being moved and it took me a few days to realize where the noise was coming from. It happened quite a few times during the day, we could hear it more from our verandah and it never disturbed us at night.

Our verandah was big, so I asked our room attendant to put a lounge out there which he did. We then had a lounge and two chairs and a table and there was still room.

I looked at the S suites before we left the ship. The area in the cabin was a lot bigger with two couches but the bathroom was exactly the same. I wouldn't spend the extra on an S as I felt they were in a funny position right up top.

Our friends had an A and were pleased with their cabin. I must admit I like the roominess of the S.S. The walk in wardrobe is a big plus.

If it were me I would be going on the Amsterdam, Singapore to Barcelona, what a wonderful cruise. I presume you would be going through the Suez Canal. That is on my wish list. Also the Amsterdam is a newer ship, a little bigger but together with the Rotterdam is the flagship of HAL.

The Prinsendam is a good size but I still prefer the layout of the Maasdam, Statendam, Amsterdam, Rotterdam etc. The Prinsendam wasn't built by HAL and was only taken over from Cunard about 2 years ago so the layout is completely different.

Whatever cruise you go on you will enjoy.

Jennie

If it were me I would be going on the Amsterdam, Singapore to Barcelona, what a wonderful cruise. I presume you would be going through the Suez Canal. That is on my wish list. Also the Amsterdam is a newer ship, a little bigger but together with the Rotterdam is the flagship of HAL.

Whatever cruise you go on you will enjoy.

Jennie

Jennie, I wasn't very clear in my post. Mixed two sailings.

The Amsterdam cruise is Singapore to San Diego. The Princidam is NYC to Barcellona. So no Suez canel.

I will opt for the midship SS on the Princendam since the noise is not an issue.

In the morning I will call my TA and give her the credit card number. Oh well, it is less for the children to fight over.

thanks for the info

Jay aka lipoppop

PS If you are ever in the New York area we will buy you a beer to celebrate Australian/US good relations and I can tell you what your contreymen did to me during the Korean war. I can still feel the bruises but it was fun.

:cool:

Archived