Moving the ships around the globe

Rosco722

A while back I heard that Princess moves their ships around each year, i.e., sends them from the Caribbean to Alaska, or from Alaska to Europe, etc. I was told the reason was so that if people cruised the same area again they would get to experience different ships. So why is it that the Caribbean Princess never gets sent anywhere different? I've been on three cruises the past two years (two carribean and one canada) and it's always on the CB.

Maybe they would have to change its name if they moved the Caribbean Princess out of the Caribbean. LOL

When I first had this thought I was just joking with myself; however, I then remembered that once Princess moves the Tahitian Princess from Tahiti, they will be changing the ship's name. Maybe they can't bring themselves to having a ship named Caribbean in the Mediterranean or in Alaska.

Most of the ships like the Carribean, Emerald, Crown and ruby are too darn big to go through the Panama Canal. Now the Star which is a grand class ship goes down to S.A. but then comes up to alaska. The Coral, Island, Sea, Pacific and Tahihian can go anywhere because they fit through the locks in the canal. So unless the Carribean does the S.A. route they will stay right where they are.

marilyn

Most of the ships like the Carribean, Emerald, Crown and ruby are too darn big to go through the Panama Canal. Now the Star which is a grand class ship goes down to S.A. but then comes up to alaska. The Coral, Island, Sea, Pacific and Tahihian can go anywhere because they fit through the locks in the canal. So unless the Carribean does the S.A. route they will stay right where they are.

marilyn

I think this would be the main reason. The Post Panamax ships are 'stuck' in their Ocean, unless they either round the Horn or do a world cruise and come through Suez or go around Africa.

The grand, crown, star, diamond & sapphire have domes over the neptune pool, better for the colder weather area. On the Caribbean, Crown, Emerald, & Ruby they got rid of the dome so they could add the Riviera Deck.....

Well, actually, it was to add MUTS to the pool that was covered on the other Grand-class ships. Thankfully, they are keeping the Magradome when they add MUTS to the Grand, Golden, Star, Diamond and Sapphire.

And the Caribbean Princess used to only cruise the Caribbean when she was first launched. Last year, they moved her to homeport in New York for the fall foliage cruises.

Maybe they would have to change its name if they moved the Caribbean Princess out of the Caribbean. LOL

When I first had this thought I was just joking with myself; however, I then remembered that once Princess moves the Tahitian Princess from Tahiti, they will be changing the ship's name. Maybe they can't bring themselves to having a ship named Caribbean in the Mediterranean or in Alaska.

Tahitian Princess will be renamed Ocean Princess in November 2009 during a period of routine maintenance in Singapore.

from

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2482

Archived