Does an OBC make you spend more?

OBC does not even make a dent in our SeaPass bill. Unless I ask at the Purser's Desk if it was applied or go through the encyclopdia version of the SeaPass Bill line by line I would even know if we have OBC.

Whenever I go to the purser's desk I like to mess with them (last cruise I literally screamed at the poor lady on the last night - in front of everybody). On the December cruise ( I had a different question) I followed a few passengers who asked about cashing out their lousy $50 OBC (on a 4-Nighter) so when it is my turn I asked him the same question - dead serious face. Poor guy started mumbling to himself and checked my account and started laughing hillariously.

OBC or not: business as usual.

:D

You're a bit of a scamp, aren't you FLcruiser? :D

You're a bit of a scamp' date=' aren't you FLcruiser? :D[/quote']

I love to mess around with the purser's desk. Their job is hard enough. I always get a smile out of them.

That 'screaming at the purser's desk' story was my best one though. I even had an ally within the purser's desk staff. Too bad one poster had to take the fun from it - with an unwarranted comment.

haha... So, I am not an $18 cruiser?

Obviously not.:D

Seriously though: $18/couple/5Nights and yet they argue over $2.

:eek:

We typically shoot for an on-board spend of about $150 per day including tips for the 2 of us. So, if my onboard account has more than $1,000 on a 7 day cruise, then that would be unusual. Excursions are paid in advance, and don't show up on our Onboard account.

I think I'd be hard pressed to spend $150/day without drinking or gambling (and not counting the pre-paid excursions).

I think I'd be hard pressed to spend $150/day without drinking or gambling (and not counting the pre-paid excursions).

Me too. We will have a few drinks laying out by the pool. Maybe one at dinner and one after dinner. Wife will gamble, but I don't. We will be lucky to spend $50 a day unless we decide to go on an excursion. RCI hates me as a passenger. We are not major shoppers on the ship either. We may buy a few things and maybe some rum.

Of course I may use this trip to get top shelf margarita stuff

I don't even think about it. It's nice to have a some drinks or tips paid off ahead of time, but it doesn't effect how I spend on bit.

Last cruise we had $550 in OBC's and the bar tab was till $2700.

Aubie

Aubie, the perfect cruiseline customer! :D I think having the OBC does actually encourage more spending, at least for me, as I don't worry about buying something because I know the bill will be a bit less than the price. Of course, I never have had a $2700 bar tab either! :D I would guess on my last cruise the actual bar part of the tab was only about $750. Of course, the wife bought a Burberry watch, and did some Spa stuff and we ate at Chops, and I used tons of internet, and tons of arcade games... Fortunately, work paid for the Internet. Now if I can figure out how to bill the arcade games.;)

jc

I don't even think about it. It's nice to have a some drinks or tips paid off ahead of time, but it doesn't effect how I spend on bit.

Last cruise we had $550 in OBC's and the bar tab was till $2700.

Aubie

Aubie - did you forget the secret answer???? and yes - - you bet your sweet axxx I am!!!

Tips are $20 for 2 people

We are photo junkies (my wife scrapbooks): $20/day

Other photo supplies: $100-$200 per cruise (usually scrapbooking stickers, albums, papers, etc etc), so that's another $20/day

I am a cruise wear junkie too. We usually end up spending $300-$400 on Tshirts, windbreakers, shorts, Christmas ornaments, etc for our family of 5. so, that's another $50/day.

The rest is specialty restaurants, non-alcohlic fruity drinks, etc.

I use the OBC at the spa, I consider it extra money for special things, if I weren't going to use it for something special, I'd just use the royal points towards the cost of the cruise. Our seapass bill is never very much, the only things on it are bingo and a few drinks here and there, and now the arcade since our grandson is old enough to play in there.

OBC does not even make a dent in our SeaPass bill. Unless I ask at the Purser's Desk if it was applied or go through the encyclopdia version of the SeaPass Bill line by line I would even know if we have OBC.

Whenever I go to the purser's desk I like to mess with them (last cruise I literally screamed at the poor lady on the last night - in front of everybody). On the December cruise ( I had a different question) I followed a few passengers who asked about cashing out their lousy $50 OBC (on a 4-Nighter) so when it is my turn I asked him the same question - dead serious face. Poor guy started mumbling to himself and checked my account and started laughing hillariously.

OBC or not: business as usual.

:D

Oh no not another. I always make a point to hang out around the pursers desk at least once or twice during a cruise. The stuff you hear is just unbeliveable. I just get my drink and go for some laughs.

Its also fun to tease those behind the counter. These people can tell you some stories. My OBC,wa wa wa wa.

I have a new phrase to use now,"I am being SCAMMED and you guys better do something.

Oh no not another. I always make a point to hang out around the pursers desk at least once or twice during a cruise. The stuff you hear is just unbeliveable. I just get my drink and go for some laughs.

Its also fun to tease those behind the counter. These people can tell you some stories. My OBC,wa wa wa wa.

I have a new phrase to use now,"I am being SCAMMED and you guys better do something.

Are you telling me that you have actual humor? ;)

There is not enough OBC to suit my DH. He is a spender at home and on board he is a HUGE spender. He likes to use the line "Well we have the OBC so we should just buy it". I dont even think about the sea pass total, half the time it takes us the rest of the year to finally pay it off.

He says he feels like royalty when on board and believe me he spends like it too.

There is not enough OBC to suit my DH. He is a spender at home and on board he is a HUGE spender. He likes to use the line "Well we have the OBC so we should just buy it". I dont even think about the sea pass total, half the time it takes us the rest of the year to finally pay it off.

He says he feels like royalty when on board and believe me he spends like it too.

My brother is like that. That is why we budget and we use it as an extra. I have a rule that I pay off my credit cards every month. I do not feel like writing a check for $3,000 extra.

We also budget so that we can take 2-3 vacations a year. We spend less on them, but enjoy more time away. The OBC helps when we decide to cruise.

THanks to all for your answers.

I would say that we definitely spend more when we have a decent amount of OBC. We have $400 on next month's cruise, and I am looking forward to being a little more relaxed on the bar tab. I know we'll go way over regardless, but somehow psychologically, it feels good!

Archived