A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Dear DBA:

Were you aware, as an employee in Seattle, of the problems the Zuiderdam incurred last week on Wednesday when they tried to dock at Limon Costa Rica but were turned away?

I was wondering if HAL was considering abolishing that place as a port of call in light of the way the staff and passengers were unwelcomed there last weekend. If you heard anything could you please respond?

Thanks

Himself

I would recommend contacting the shore excursions department as they MAY have a bit more info. Otherwise, as MOST excursions are available roughly 6 months ahead of time, it might just be too early for the land portion. The shore ex department, even if they aren't the correct folks, will likely have some more information to help you.

Hi DBA

Thanks very much will check with them

DBA - I went to you website and when I clicked on Maasdam I ended up on the youtube video of what must be Niew Amsterdam with cabaret stsyle theater.

Not sure what it took you to. I checked as you mentioned in case something was mislabeled... What video are you referring to?

My question is whether Maasdam is receiving any updates prior to 2011, such as new bedding and flat screen TV's? I am unclear if I am in an OV next August if it will be the old bedding. I was on Veendam before the upgrades and also Westerdam when they were in progress (2007 and no flat screen TV's). Where is Maasdam in the process as I understand I will need to rent a refrigerator in an OV.

Matresses are replaced as necessary. All are the Mariner's Dream mattresses that you have no doubt loved your last several cruises. FLat panel TV's were put in all rooms during Maasdam's original SOE dry dock that added Exploration's Cafe, etc. RE: tv's, Westerdam was a bit of a wild card as the ship was still SO new when the SOE upgrades were going around.

I loved the Spa staterooms on Eurodam and was wondering when Maasdam will be getting the same as well as the Lanai OV's. Thanks.

Spa rooms are to appear during "Round 1" although they won't be made into balconies until Round 2. Lanais are slated for Round 2.

Easiest way to think about it... For the other 3 S Class, interior changes are round 1, exterior changes are round 2

Hi DBA, wondering if you could get an answer for me. I want to surprise my DH with the Suite Elite package for Christmas. I called ships services about the initial beverage set up to find out if wine could be substituted for the 2 bottles of liquor. My DH only drinks wine. No one could give me an answer. Also they did not know if any soda or water was in the initial set up. Also, do you get 2 coffee cards and 2 of all the other items listed if you purchase the double occupancy package for a 10 day cruise on the Noordam? Thanks for all the help you give everyone. You are very generous with your time and efforts.

Looks like your Q double posted, but this one appears to have gone into a bit more detail...

Ship Services will have to confirm the quantities as I believe there might be a random item or 2 that you still just get one of. Double check with that department, they can confirm with the ship if necessary.

As for the wine instead of liquor. That Q is better for onboard as you'll get a "menu" to choose your selections from. If you state that you prefer wine, I'm sure that can be arranged. Otherwise, take the bottles of liquor you might enjoy, and if you wouldn't at all, find out what your friends back home like, and make them by what you consider an equal amount of your favorite wine in exchange :)

Glad you enjoy the blog and this thread! :cool:

Dear DBA:

Were you aware, as an employee in Seattle, of the problems the Zuiderdam incurred last week on Wednesday when they tried to dock at Limon Costa Rica but were turned away?

I was wondering if HAL was considering abolishing that place as a port of call in light of the way the staff and passengers were unwelcomed there last weekend. If you heard anything could you please respond?

Thanks

Himself

I heard about the situation, and can't speak to if a port or country would be permanently eliminated from future itineraries. As I understand it was a labor dispute (aka strike) and unfortunately there is very little that can be done in a situation like that.

I've enjoyed your contributions here and on your blog and now I have a question. When will the Europe 2011 dates be listed? Thanks!

General rule of thumb is a year prior... So for Europe (May-Sept/Oct destination) you can expect May/June of a year prior to when you would like to go. Same rule for Alaska.

For destinations visited Oct-April/May) aka "The Americas" and "xotic Voyages" brochures, usually September/October of one year prior.

Hi DBA. Can you please tell me what time the shows are in the evening.

Thanks

Typically the shows will be at 8pm for early diners and 10pm for late diners... those on open seating can scedule for the one that best meets their needs/interest.

As this is a holiday cruise it might be SLIGHTLY adjusted, and yes there will be festivities and a countdown at midnight!

Hi DBA,

We haven't been on HAL since 2001, as you can see by my signature we will be trying HAL again in December. Can you tell me the rates for internet usage? Do the ships offer time "packages"? I have googled unsuccessfully and have poked around the HAL site with no luck.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Regards,

Julie

Hi DBA,

We haven't been on HAL since 2001, as you can see by my signature we will be trying HAL again in December. Can you tell me the rates for internet usage? Do the ships offer time "packages"? I have googled unsuccessfully and have poked around the HAL site with no luck.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Regards,

Julie

Please just keep in mind the rates can always be subject to change... Here's what I show as of today

Time Plan #1: 250 Minutes for $100.00 ($0.40/minute)

Time Plan #2: 100 Minutes for $55.00 (0.55/minute)

Pay-As-You-Go at $0.75/minute

Time Plan minutes can be used until you disembark the ship. Time Plans are interchangeable between the Internet Cafe terminals and personal laptops. A $3.95 Activation Fee applies to all users upon your first login only. Printing is available at $0.25 per print job.

Not sure what it took you to. I checked as you mentioned in case something was mislabeled... What video are you referring to?

Matresses are replaced as necessary. All are the Mariner's Dream mattresses that you have no doubt loved your last several cruises. FLat panel TV's were put in all rooms during Maasdam's original SOE dry dock that added Exploration's Cafe, etc. RE: tv's, Westerdam was a bit of a wild card as the ship was still SO new when the SOE upgrades were going around.

Spa rooms are to appear during "Round 1" although they won't be made into balconies until Round 2. Lanais are slated for Round 2.

Easiest way to think about it... For the other 3 S Class, interior changes are round 1, exterior changes are round 2

So when is "Round 1" on Maasdam scheduled?

Often if you sign up for Internet Package the first day/evening aboard, they give free bonus minutes. I think it's ten minutes for the 100 minute package and maybe a little more for the 250 minute package.

DBA - On your web site I clicked on Maasdam and the link takes you to a you tube video.

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/search/label/Maasdam

When is "Round 1" on Maasdam? Will the Spa Staterooms be in place next summer without the balcony's? I am unclear what condition Maasdam is in because I was told by someone that I would need to rent a refrigerator in an OV room.

DBA - On your web site I clicked on Maasdam and the link takes you to a you tube video.

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/search/label/Maasdam

When is "Round 1" on Maasdam? Will the Spa Staterooms be in place next summer without the balcony's? I am unclear what condition Maasdam is in because I was told by someone that I would need to rent a refrigerator in an OV room.

The lounge you reference shows up at the 3 minute mark, right? That is The Showroom at Sea on Veendam. This same design, not sure if colors will change, is scheduled for the other 3 S Class ships and Rotterdam and in my understanding should show up on "Round 1"

As for when the rounds happen, this is on the SOE portion of the HAL website:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/SOE (this page also shows another view of Veendam's Showroom)

• Rotterdam: Nov. 18-Dec. 16, 2009

• Ryndam: Feb. 9-Feb. 28, 2010, first phase; Fall 2012, second phase

• Statendam: Mar. 26-Apr. 11, 2010, first phase; TBD 2013, second phase

• Maasdam: Apr. 4-Apr. 26, 2011; TBD 2013, second phase

Often if you sign up for Internet Package the first day/evening aboard, they give free bonus minutes. I think it's ten minutes for the 100 minute package and maybe a little more for the 250 minute package.

Thank you very much for that tidbit...again, same as most of the Princess ships. We always sign up the first day. It's so easy, all you have to do is log in and its done!!!

Smooth Sailing

Julie

DBA reader Julie and her family from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada shared a lot of pictures from their recent Eurodam cruise and I just posted them.

This is also an open invite for anyone else who would like to share pictures and the accompanying stories and have me post them on the blog.

As I mention on the post about Julie's family, please pre-size any images to 800x600 pixels (or so) or smaller and try to aim for under 600k or so a piece and let me know what's going on in the pictures and I'll post them on the blog!

AND DON'T FORGET THE BIG NIEUW AMSTERDAM NEWS!! FLOAT OUT IS TOMORROW!

The lounge you reference shows up at the 3 minute mark, right? That is The Showroom at Sea on Veendam. This same design, not sure if colors will change, is scheduled for the other 3 S Class ships and Rotterdam and in my understanding should show up on "Round 1"

As for when the rounds happen, this is on the SOE portion of the HAL website:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/SOE (this page also shows another view of Veendam's Showroom)

• Rotterdam: Nov. 18-Dec. 16, 2009

• Ryndam: Feb. 9-Feb. 28, 2010, first phase; Fall 2012, second phase

• Statendam: Mar. 26-Apr. 11, 2010, first phase; TBD 2013, second phase

• Maasdam: Apr. 4-Apr. 26, 2011; TBD 2013, second phase

So, Maasdam won't have new bedding and updated flat screen TV's, mini-bars/refrigerators (in Ocean views and Insides) and Spa Staterooms until 2011. When was her last drydock?

Rotterdam is having a full retrofit/renovations this year?

Archived