Venice: Staying in Lido. How far to port?

Hi Cruisers,

Just wondering...we're staying on Via Lepanto, Lido when we fly into Venice to embark on our cruise June 1st aboard Royal Princess. How far is that from Venice proper? How far to the port too?

Anyone out there can help us? They told us to stay on Lido because the port was nearby. True? Last time in Venice, years ago, I was on such a tight-knit tour and stayed on the grand canal. I can't remember too much.

Thank you.

bjrose:cool:

You might want to read the thread about 10 up from yours. It is also asking about getting to the pier from Lido.

Lido is not a good choice, the travel time to/from Venice and to/from pier made it prohibitive to me.

I opted for Piazzale Roma at Ca' Doge. Really central to everything as Piazzale Roma is the transportation hub of Venice. Taxis, buses, vaporettos, and information kiosk are all there.

It's nearer to the port in Venice than, say,...Munich...

Seriously, it's nowhere close...

Lido is an island quite a ways off of Venice...

The real issue is getting there and back...It's actually easily done...if you have all the time in the world...

You can get there and back by Vaporetti:

No. 51 is a counterclockwise route that connects the Lido to Fondamenta Nove, on the northern or lagoon side of Venice's historic center. From there, it continues through the Cannaregio Canal to the railway station and Piazzale Roma before heading up the Giudecca Canal with stops at San Zaccaria, Giardini, and S. Elena on its way back to the Lido.

No. 52 is a clockwise route that serves the same stops.

Note: Early in the morning and late in the evening, the routes are abbreviated. See the timetables at the boat stops or the Actv Web site for details.

No. 61 is a commuter route from the Piazzale Roma to the Lido via the Giudecca Canal with stops at S. Marta, S. Basilio, Zattere, Giardini, and S. Elena.

No. 62 covers the same route in the opposite direction.

Both routes operate on weekdays only.

Or there's a ferry as well...but again, the times are limited...

We visited Lido while staying in Venice...then continued on to Burano and back to Venice...Pretty much a full day just making all of the connections--with a lot of waiting around...

And, of course, you've got to get from wherever on Lido your hotel is TO the dock...

Or, you could hire a VERY EXPENSIVE water taxi...

Bottom line is it is not really worth it...Lido is nice, but really nothing like Venice itself...and you are a little remote--across the lagoon...

There are lots of hotels in Venice proper...I would stay either ner Piazza San Marco (staying at San Marco will require a little extra time and trouble getting to the ship) or near Piazzale Roma (I've stayed at the Capri, the Carlton and the Sofitel and would recommend any of them)

Along those lines, we stayed at Ai Due Principi, 5 minute walk from San marco, and it was wonderful--great location, about 3 minutes to the San Zaccharia vaporetto stop, and about a 10 minute ride to the port. Since Venice is so small we didn't care about necessarily being close to the port (it's NOT L.A.!) and wanted to be in the middle of things. Brand new although in an old palazzo, on a small canal, beautiful rooms and amazing bathrooms. Check it out online. We walked everywhere from there.

Cathy

It always amazes me how many folks give bad info about traveling. Guess there are a lot of "experts" who really have no clue. As the others have said, Lido is not convenient to the port and personally, we think its not a good area to stay since you need to take vaporettos to go anywhere. My only advice to the OP is to not trust the info given you by your source.

Hank

Archived