Question about kayaking at Lake Mendenhall

Wanderbug

I really want to get close to the face of Mendenhall Glacier. My cruise doesn't offer the canoeing trip as an excursion. I contacted Alaska Adventure and the timing of their guided trip doesn't fit into my schedule unless I cancel my morning plans.

Alaska Boat and Kayak Center is operated by Above and Beyond Alaska. They offer a self-guided kayak package that sounds perfect for what I want.

I know that there is only one guided canoe company that is permitted to take tours that close to the glacier. Are individuals allowed to paddle that close to the glacier? The website for Alaska Boat and Kayak Center says that the package price includes a permit into Tongass National Forest and Mendenhall Glacier Recreational Area. I assume that means I would have the proper permit, but I want to make sure since my entire reason for doing the kayak would be to get close to the glacier.

You are underestimating the restrictions and danger of what your priority is. You can NOT get close to any glacier in a kayak. There are definate limitations you are going to have to accept and abide by. I suggest you contact the rental company you are referring to, find this out direct from them. They will be able to answer this more completely for you.

Archived