buffet line etiquette

owl61

Just give them a "little nudge" with the elbow, and tell them to hurry up........That always speeds up the line.

Or you can give them the "Look"............

Please don't ever 'nudge' me. I would not take kindly to someone in a buffet line putting a hand on me.

I searched the net extensively, but could not find a definitive answer to the question about passing in a buffet line. If someone can locate an authoritative answer, e.g., a guide to manners, etc. it would be much appreciated.

This subject comes up frequently and can be the source of heated debate. I thought it might be helpful to get the proper answer.

In my OP I intended to specifically ask whether it is okay to pass by someone in a buffet line, not at a "station" and not necessarily to grab one item and leave the line.

For example, if the person immediately in front of you is creating a salad at that part of the line where the salad fixings are located and you don't want any salad is it rude to walk around them to go to items further down the line? Is it necessary to excuse yourself as you pass?

I don't think it is rude at all for anyone to pass me when I am building a salad or deciding if I want fish or chicken.

As someone already noted, it depends on the ship. Princess is set up in stations, and there is no reason to stand in a line like the school cafeteria. You simply go to the station you want and take your food. Princess does not do a good job of explaining this to passengers which makes the first couple of days very confusing.

I think the rule of thumb is that you can pass the waiting person as long as it won't hold that person up subsequently. Thats how I play it

I agree-maybe he is getting something I am not interested in having-so I pass by to the next station where I DO want something.

What is rude is if you start grabbing while he is still getting his from the same station.

I apply that Golden Rule that I had drummed into me as a child. Do I mind if somebody, politely, goes around me in a buffet line? No, I don't mind at all. Therefore, I think it's fine if I do the same - again politely. If the person I go around seems to take any notice of me at all, then I'll murmur an "excuse me." If they don't seem to notice me at all, then I won't. Is that rude?

I was thinking and the more I consider it-most buffets are set up in stations-not one continuous line. (except for RCI Mariner of the Seas-it was one continuous line) I never go to all the stations-now if someone is at the station first-of course I wait my turn.

Now I have been to a station-for example a bread station- where one person was there before me, but the station was around 8 feet wide and basically had every kind of bread offered set out twice-I saw no problem with my going around the person and getting the bread I wanted. After all, I did not impede them in any way and I felt as the same varieties were set out twice- that this was meant to be done.

I will say this-on Mariner of the Seas, the windjammer would get very congested on sea days-with a 30-45 minute wait in line-I do believe if that had been set up in stations-the flow would have been better-and it would not have been as congested. After all, I may want Italian, but the next guy wants a burger, the third guy just wants a Cobb salad, and number 4 wants Asian. It is a shame we all have to stand in line together when we all want different things.

I agree with the previous 4, but for heaven's sake, don't bring your partner, fill up 2 plates, or be pokey yourself.

I can be very, very patient in buffet lines, but if someone cuts in front of me then spends four minutes picking out exactly the olives they want at the salad bar, they can expect to receive a tray to the head.

but why not just go ahead of them?

I agree with the previous 4, but for heaven's sake, don't bring your partner, fill up 2 plates, or be pokey yourself.

I can be very, very patient in buffet lines, but if someone cuts in front of me then spends four minutes picking out exactly the olives they want at the salad bar, they can expect to receive a tray to the head.

Noooooo not the tray! :eek:

I searched the net extensively, but could not find a definitive answer to the question about passing in a buffet line. If someone can locate an authoritative answer, e.g., a guide to manners, etc. it would be much appreciated.

This subject comes up frequently and can be the source of heated debate. I thought it might be helpful to get the proper answer.

Heated debate? Holy crap, I hope not!

The problem is that no matter what "authority" you find, it's not going to hold water with a hoarde of hungry masses from many different cultures. "Wait, People, Wait, Miss Manners and Emily Post both say ..." trample

I think the key is to apply patience, reason, and civility and hope others can do the same, even if they secretly curse you for getting to the bread basket first.

Every University Student Union that I have been to, in the past 20 years, has had stations. It is a time saver. If you want asian, go there, if you want italian, go over there, if you want burger and fries, you go to the grill.

These were arranged on the perimeter of the area. Drinks were on the circular island in the middle with 6 stations of a variety of soda/tea/coffee/coco. You picked up trays and silver before you went into the court.

I could be in and out of the of the food court of the Union in 10 minutes. Everyone was kind and relatively well mannered since everyone needed to be through the area quickly to get to their next class. It was wonderful. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Some ships do not have stations. Can no one locate an authoritative source that addresses the issue of passing in a buffet line?

p.s. I am eager to know if the accusations of bad behavior leveled at those who pass around others in a buffet line are justified.

Authoritative Source?

It's plain, good manners IMO

You know to not cut in line.

It certainly follows the same principle, don't cut in the buffet line.

There are some exceptions when you might ask the person ahead of you if they mind if you go ahead as you aren't going to stop at the carving station or have an omelette made.

Wait your turn. Use a little patience.

Courtesy is never a poor choice.

Authoritative Source?

It's plain, good manners IMO...You know to not cut in line.

It certainly follows the same principle, don't cut in the buffet line.

There are some exceptions when you might ask the person ahead of you if they mind if you go ahead as you aren't going to stop at the carving station or have an omelette made.

Wait your turn. Use a little patience.

Courtesy is never a poor choice.

Thanks for adding to the discussion. You are very demonstrative in the expression of your opinion, but unfortunately, your answer is demonstrably equivocal. No one disputes that courtesy is the way to go. That's the whole point. What is courteous or discourteous? You say do not cut in line, but quickly add there are exceptions when you might ask the person ahead of you if they mind. So I am still unclear when and how line jumping is okay. Again, we are not talking stations (in case carving station and omelet servers fall into this category). So, yes, an authoritative source would still be valuable. Can anybody locate one?

Your own good manners is the best authoritative source. IMO

Most adults have a very good sense of what is good manners. Doesn't mean they always act accordingly but they usually know what is right and wrong. Some choose to ignore 'that inner voice'.

If you are bothering to ask the question, IMO you have an instinctive feel for what is appropriate. No?

If you are bothering to ask the question, IMO you have an instinctive feel for what is appropriate. No?

Thanks for the presumption, but one man's feel for what is correct is another's faux pas. I am reluctant to simply rely on my feelings if I can nail down an authoritative answer. I think good manners are promulgated to make our collective lives easier. It's good to know how to act in certain situations. Frankly I remember as a child once being that it was acceptable to pass by someone in a buffet line. I'd like to confirm my belief about this. You wouldn't think such conduct, espercially if accompanied by an "excuse me" woud be so controversial, but I continuously read on these threads condemnations of people (Americans especially) because they were so rude to pass by someone in the buffet line.

Why is this being drawn out? And why is an "authoritative" answer needed? For goodness sake. A cruise is a VACATION!!! Why get so worried about something so minor? Just do like the "right" thing at the buffet and be considerate and polite. Geez! :mad:

Archived