buffet line etiquette

owl61

I think the rule of thumb is that you can pass the waiting person as long as it won't hold that person up subsequently. Thats how I play it

Yeah, that's my rule of thumb also. I always ask if its okay, and no one has ever minded.:D

Thanks for the presumption, but one man's feel for what is correct is another's faux pas. I am reluctant to simply rely on my feelings if I can nail down an authoritative answer. I think good manners are promulgated to make our collective lives easier. It's good to know how to act in certain situations. Frankly I remember as a child once being that it was acceptable to pass by someone in a buffet line. I'd like to confirm my belief about this. You wouldn't think such conduct, espercially if accompanied by an "excuse me" woud be so controversial, but I continuously read on these threads condemnations of people (Americans especially) because they were so rude to pass by someone in the buffet line.

I'm not sure what authoritative answer you hope to get here on this topic. All we can do is offer up our opinions on how we would or do handle this. For me, if someone is stopping for a scoop of scrambled eggs, and I want the bacon in the next bin, it would be rude to go around the person. If they are building a salad, I feel it's okay to go around.

For the authoritative answer, you'll have to call whichever cruise line you are going on and ask what their policy is. I doubt they have one, and just rely on people to do what's best. Seriously, you'll figure it out when you are there.

One thing really boils my broccoli in regards to buffet lines is someone saving spots for their friends or basically just running into them and letting them join the line. One person doing it isn't so bad; but when it is a group of 3 or 4 that suddenly are ahead of me, arrgggh.. I get annoyed.

On the other hand, it truly wouldn't hurt me to back away from the buffet and this occurs while over looking the ocean so it really is all good. :cool:

i think it depends on the situation. OP asked specifically about LINES instead of stations.

if you are in a line say for the midnight buffet or something like that i would say its rude to go in front of someone, everyone is waiting and it makes me really angry when people start cutting.

if you are in say a long line at a salad station and all you want is a roll at the end i see absolutely no problem politely asking the slow person in front of you if you can skip in front of them to grab a roll.

the only cruises i have been on had stations so i am trying to envision a long buffet line thats not like the midnight or chocolate buffet but if someone in front of you is making a salad holding up the whole line and you dont want salad but you want something further down the line i dont see a problem asking if you can skip ahead,if you in turn let people go ahead of you when you pause at the sandwich making spot.

i also think its about your attitude. if you are polite and ask nicely and do what you want speedily i dont see any issues. if you bust into the line like you own the joint and slow everyone else up you will probably have a problem on your hands :eek:

• 3 months later...
I'm glad someone posed this question. I've lost count of the times I've waited patiently behind someone who spends ages deliberating as to whether to choose a ham sandwich or cheese. I feel like saying, "for goodness sake have one of each, there's a queue here!" :rolleyes:

Carol

Just give them a "little nudge" with the elbow, and tell them to hurry up........That always speeds up the line.

Or you can give them the "Look"............

Try the direct approach (Simply saying "Mind if i move ahead? etc) It's actually MORE polite than the non-assertive/passive approach.

If I were the one taking my time, I would much prefer a direct but polite request to move ahead as opposed to a nudge or look, and would much prefer a polite request than to have a person seething behind me.

Authoritative Source?

It's plain, good manners IMO

You know to not cut in line.

It certainly follows the same principle, don't cut in the buffet line.

There are some exceptions when you might ask the person ahead of you if they mind if you go ahead as you aren't going to stop at the carving station or have an omelette made.

Wait your turn. Use a little patience.

Courtesy is never a poor choice.

True that courtesy and patience are good things. Also true that most of us understand the differences between good and bad manners. But I don't quite agree with your list of exceptions, unless those are only a couple of examples. For instance, if there is a large line for the salads area and the person ahead of me is taking 10 minutes to assemble the "perfect" salad, then I do not think I need to patiently wait unless I'm waiting for that area of the salad stations. If I want salads or salad items that are clearly past where said artist is creating a masterpiece, I'm going to politely say, "Excuse me, I'm going to go past you to the next section of the stations." If you think that's rude and that I should simply stand there patiently, well, I can't help that. I'm not rude; I don't sigh or roll my eyes; I don't "nudge" in any way. I also don't think it's necessary to waste my time waiting behind someone who's taking a long time in a section that I'm not even waiting for.

beachchick

I don't think so, if you say "Excuse me, I'm going to pass you while you're making up your mind"

Is it always wrong to jump over ( pass) someone while selecting food in the buffet line?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived