Cabin Selection Question

CateW

We're planning our second cruise on Oceania; did our first last summer to the Med on Insignia in a B-1 Aft. Loved the cabin and location but found that we used the balcony far less, probably due to the port intensive itinerary. I have a 12 night Caribbean on hold on Regatta in a D for February 2010, one of those great 5th anniversary specials. The cabin size is the same 165 sq. feet, sans balcony. This trip is also fairly port intensive 8 ports in 12 days and we love the beach. If we're at the beach all day, I don't know how much we would use the balcony. Anyone sailed in both a balcony and just a little window that can weigh in on this. The cost for the balcony is significantly more and I'm just not sure it is worth it. Has anyone done both? If we do the D it will be our first cruise without a balcony, is there really no going back?

We're planning our second cruise on Oceania; did our first last summer to the Med on Insignia in a B-1 Aft. Loved the cabin and location but found that we used the balcony far less, probably due to the port intensive itinerary. I have a 12 night Caribbean on hold on Regatta in a D for February 2010, one of those great 5th anniversary specials. The cabin size is the same 165 sq. feet, sans balcony. This trip is also fairly port intensive 8 ports in 12 days and we love the beach. If we're at the beach all day, I don't know how much we would use the balcony. Anyone sailed in both a balcony and just a little window that can weigh in on this. The cost for the balcony is significantly more and I'm just not sure it is worth it. Has anyone done both? If we do the D it will be our first cruise without a balcony, is there really no going back?

We had a similar dilemna. We are booked on the Regatta TA next March. We originally selected an oceanview cabin with large window. We then decided since it's a 14 night cruise and we always cruise with a balcony, we'd switch to a balcony. An aft became available, so we took it. After much consideration (and going over our budget...we have a wedding to help pay for this Fall), we decided to give up our aft balcony and go back to an oceanview with large window. We figured in late March, the weather crossing the Atlantic may not be conducive to sitting out on the balcony. We may come to regret this decision, but it was a difference of $1,000 total, and I figured that money could be put toward other expenses for the cruise, such as post-cruise hotel, air, etc.

If money were abolutely no object, or if this was a Caribbean sailing, it wouldn't even be questionable...we'd go with the balcony. But given the economy (and we're so lucky to even be able to cruise) and the questionable weather on a TA, I think (hope) we made the right decision.

Jo-Ann

I sailed on a November 2006 TA and was upgraded to a balcony. I found that the only time I used it was when I was seasick the first day out and wanted the fresh air. It is nice to open the doors and have fresh air while you are sleeping (even though they ask you not to), but as all you see is water I was just as happy with the obstructed view that I had on the Nov 07 cruise.

Paris182

This is really a personal decision for how much you think YOU will use the balcony or not. We use it a lot and for us its a must have, even on port intensive cruises and even in Alaska. If its cold out we just bundle up more and sit out there. We spend our morning waking up out there, a glass of wine getting ready for dinner out there, and our final wind down at the end of the day out there. On sea days and even some port days, we'll spend some time out there reading or just relaxing as well. Many people use their cabins to sleep and change clothes and that's it, for them it would be a waste.

Have to agree...we too used our balcony often on a very port intensive cruise last summer. It was a great place to be before dinner with wine, very private. We also enjoyed stepping out and watching port pilots getting on the ship and then docking in port.

We had a really neat experience on our cruise when we were about to go through the channel between Italy and Sicily. The pilot boarded the ship at 11:00 PM while we were going full speed. Watching the pilot's speedboat catch up to the ship then maintain speed while the pilot jumped aboard was fascinating. Then we watched as we sailed through the channel and waited for the speedboat to return. Again the speedboat caught up to the ship and maintained speed while the pilot jumped out and onto the speedboat. After his jump there was a round of applause from all of the people on their balconies and on deck. It was one of the highlights of the cruise.

We also watched a docking in Alexandria where the port employees docking the ship were making the Nautica crew very nervous...we could see them on the bridge from our balcony...and they were right to be nervous, as the ship was slightly damaged in the docking process.

We loved having the balcony and feel like it added another interesting dimension to our trip.

Have to agree...we too used our balcony often on a very port intensive cruise last summer. It was a great place to be before dinner with wine, very private. We also enjoyed stepping out and watching port pilots getting on the ship and then docking in port.

We had a really neat experience on our cruise when we were about to go through the channel between Italy and Sicily. The pilot boarded the ship at 11:00 PM while we were going full speed. Watching the pilot's speedboat catch up to the ship then maintain speed while the pilot jumped aboard was fascinating. Then we watched as we sailed through the channel and waited for the speedboat to return. Again the speedboat caught up to the ship and maintained speed while the pilot jumped out and onto the speedboat. After his jump there was a round of applause from all of the people on their balconies and on deck. It was one of the highlights of the cruise.

We also watched a docking in Alexandria where the port employees docking the ship were making the Nautica crew very nervous...we could see them on the bridge from our balcony...and they were right to be nervous, as the ship was slightly damaged in the docking process.

We loved having the balcony and feel like it added another interesting dimension to our trip.

Was this on a Transatlantic cruise? If it was a European cruise (or Caribbean), we'd definitely go with a balcony cabin. However, when I considered crossing the Atlantic in March, it just seemed like it would be too cold out there to really enjoy it. And since we've never done a TA before, I worried that the aft cabin would get a lot more movement. I don't ordinarily get seasick, but the thought of spending 14 nights with mal de mar didn't appeal to me!!!

Jo-Ann

Thanks for the input everyone. This is a Caribbean cruise 12 days; 8 ports and the difference is about $1100 p.p. so not insignificant although the money really isn't the issue. It was so hot in the Med last July and after being out all day, we just didn't take advantage of it. Still on the fence; I have until the 11th to decide. Ifthis was a TA in October/November, I'd definitely go with a balcony, but not in March, I agree it would be too cold, at least for us. Alaska isn't on our radar screen, we hate the cold weather. Yeah, I know, we live in CT, which has been like the tundra this winter, although not today. I work in NYC but we are moving to North Carolina, when I retire in the next few years, DH is patiently waiting for me.

CateW: As has been said, it's a matter of personal taste. After a couple of sailings in Cat. C -- oceanview with large window -- we decided to take a verandah -- Cat. B -- for last year's Central America cruise. While I loved watching the sunrise and taking great sea/sky photos, there was too much heat and humidity for me to enjoy just sitting outside during the day. Also, when we were in port, there were often large ships docked parallel to us, so privacy was a big issue. And while I would have loved to fall asleep to the sound of the waves, I needed the a/c more. So for our Caribbean cruise last month, we went back to a Cat. C and didn't miss the balcony at all.

We are booked on the same T/A as Jerseygirl3 (Jo-Ann) and I agree with her reasoning that on a T/A a verandah would probably not get much use. That being said, if I were taking a Med. cruise.......well that's another story.

BTW, just my opinion, but I like a bit more personal space when I'm getting dressed and moving between closet, bathroom, loveseat and dressing table just works better for me in the oceanview rooms than when the dressing table is on the other side of the room by the sliding glass doors in verandah staterooms.

Marsha

It is a personal choice

We have done the balcony thing & C1 ...we prefer the C1 & being up on deck rather than sitting on the balcony

We hardly used our balcony on both cruises so the C1 was fine for us.

Archived