Veendam - Afternoon Tea

cruiselife8

I wanted to get some information on HAL's afternoon tea. We've not sailed on HAL yet, and will likely be on the Veendam. I've read that things have changed over time, so I'm hoping to get recent information.

Is afternoon tea served every day?

If so, what time?

Is it self-serve or do they serve you?

Is it more of a traditional tea (scones, sandwiches, pastries, on tiered plates, china, etc.)?

Do they use loose leaf tea? Tea bags? What brand(s)?

What restaurant is it served in?

Is there a surcharge?

Any bit of insight you want to add is appreciated for this tea lover.

We were on the Veendam in January. We only went to one tea but here is what I remember.

Is afternoon tea served every day?

They had it most days. Not sure if it was everyday or not.

If so, what time? I believe it was at 3pm

Is it self-serve or do they serve you? You are served by the dining room staff.

Is it more of a traditional tea (scones, sandwiches, pastries, on tiered plates, china, etc.)? Traditional. I know one day they had "high tea" and another day they had "Indonesian" tea. We attended one of the "regular" days and the had scones, sandwiches, pastries, etc.

Do they use loose leaf tea? Tea bags? What brand(s)? If I recall correctly they poured everyone the same tea out of a teapot. (Someone please correct me if I a wrong). I know at dinner they had a choice of several types of teas.

What restaurant is it served in? The main dining room

Is there a surcharge? No

Do they use loose leaf tea? Tea bags? What brand(s)? If I recall correctly they poured everyone the same tea out of a teapot. (Someone please correct me if I a wrong). I know at dinner they had a choice of several types of teas.

We did one of the Teas on our Hawaii Zandam cruise. They brought around a nice wooden box with a large selection of pre-packaged teas to choose from.

That was one of the 'regular' Teas.

On a 35 day cruise this past summer (Maasdam) the normal tea times were held in a section of the Crow's nest. Tea, sandwiches and pastries were served. Made the experience much more intimate. The special tea days were held in the DR to make room for the displays.

On a 35 day cruise this past summer (Maasdam) the normal tea times were held in a section of the Crow's nest. Tea, sandwiches and pastries were served. Made the experience much more intimate. The special tea days were held in the DR to make room for the displays.

On a 35 day cruise this past summer (Maasdam) the regular tea times were held in a section of the Crow's nest. Tea, sandwiches and pastries were served. Made the experience much more intimate. The special tea days were held in the DR to make room for the displays.

We finally got to a few afternoon teas on our 4th HAL cruise - 12/08 on Zaandam. Most teas are on sea days - which we had plenty of.

We went to the Dutch High Tea and the regular tea and the Indonesian High Tea.

Do try the Indonesian Tea if you get a chance. It felt very "exotic". They had traditional Indonesian music playing, the servers were dressed in their Indonesina attire and the teas were loose leaf -several different selections. The treats were all very different and Indonesian. It was very nice experience.

The Dutch High Tea was also very nice. I think they had a big display of treats at the entrance to the dining room and you were able to point out what you would llike and they would serve it to you on your plate. Then I think they may have come around to serve more.

The regular teas and the Indonesian Tea were all served to you at your table.

We will be on a 5 night PNW cruise on the Statendam in May. We have no sea days....we're in port each day. Do you think we will still have at least one tea? I read on the HAL website that there is one Dutch High Tea on ALL HAL sailings. I have been to tea on Princess and a tea dance on the QM2, so I was looking forward to this on HAL.

We will be on a 5 night PNW cruise on the Statendam in May. We have no sea days....we're in port each day. Do you think we will still have at least one tea? I read on the HAL website that there is one Dutch High Tea on ALL HAL sailings. I have been to tea on Princess and a tea dance on the QM2, so I was looking forward to this on HAL.

I can't say with any certainty if you will have at least one tea.

Perhaps some one else can answer that.

Do they serve anything else to drink during high tea? I know that it sounds crazy-but I would like to go to one, but I had tea poured down me when I was a child whenever I was sick so much that I can't drink it now. I know it is a "psychological thing" but I don't want to test it!!!

On many days we had afternoon tea at 3 p.m. in the Explorers Lounge. Special teas were in part of the dining room. They had many tea sandwiches and sweets at all teas, and we were always served. They had a chest holding many different tea bags from which you could choose on the regular daily teas. It is a very nice experience. On the special teas you had a large choice of tea sandwiches and sweets in addition to the various types of tea. You don't have to be dressed up to attend. They always had music playing so was very relaxing.

Archived