Atlantis LA-Mexico Oct 2009 (Mariner of the Seas)

mwwkw

My partner and I fly in the day before and rent a car to play around in LA overnite. Last year what worked for us was to return the car to LAX and take the SuperShuttle (reserved ahead of time online) to the port in San Pedro. I think the cost was $34 for the two of us and even though you have to wait for them to kind of fill up the van, it still only took about 45 mins total to get to the port after dropping off the rental. Coming back we used the RC transfer system and the luggage transfers, both of which worked very well. The only problem was as stated by 2DesertGuys, the ship was late and we were late getting off, but I had purposely booked flights around 1 pm having had similar experiences in the past. Hope this helps.

Thanks, all of your suggestions help and we will be looking into later flights. We like to do the non-stops so we don't have to change planes and they either leave at 11ish or2-3. I guess we will probably do the afternoon flight and do the RC transfer so we don't have to cart our luggage around until we fly.

My friend and I will be doing our first Atlantis cruise with this trip to Mexico...we're really looking forward to it. I wasn't sure about going but after doing a little research and not finding anyone who didn't enjoy it how could you pass it up?

Anyone that has gone before, what do people usually do in Puerto Vallarta? It looks like we'll be there for a couple of days, although I've been to PV before, do people from the cruise do excursions, hang on the ship, go clubbing or what?

We're on deck 6!

Hey we are on deck 6 as well :)

• 2 weeks later...

Airfare: if you can get round trip airfare for $350, book it now. I fly cross country all the time, and that's about as cheap as BOS/LAX (or any derivative) that you will find. book now for best seating/times.

Puerto Vallarta: We are not there for several days, as was mentioned above. It's typically a full day, that doesn't end until the mid-morning of the following day. Which truly means that you can do the beach or a tour, eat dinner, then hit the clubs for a few hours, but NOT for the full PV evening (which runs very very late).

People usually run for the gay beach area (called the "Blue Chairs"). Some just do shopping (as PV is a tourist town), or just wander the small Old Town section. Those that are looking for tours can do the Zip Line (Canopy adventure), etc. There have been at previous times gay sailboat and horseback riding tours, but I think those operators may have moved on.

Also, as has been mentioned previously, do not book early return flights. It takes forever to clear the ship, and with this being a bigger vessel, and a weekend return, I wouldn't expect it to be any easier in 2009.

Last year, we flew in a few days early and rented a car at LAX from Enterprise. They have a return location in San Pedro a few blocks from the cruise ship terminal. Their office is located next to a hotel, and the hotel provides a shuttle to the terminal for about $5 per person.

I'm seriously considering this cruise-but can't get anyone to go with me. I'm in desperate need for a cabin mate for either a JS or Balcony...

I'm a nice guy, recently single and I enjoy wine, books, travel and if the mood strikes a little dancing :p. I'll be flying in the day before and probably staying a day later after the cruise.

If anyone is interested please send me a PM and we can go from there!

J

Airfare: if you can get round trip airfare for $350, book it now. I fly cross country all the time, and that's about as cheap as BOS/LAX (or any derivative) that you will find. book now for best seating/times.

Also, as has been mentioned previously, do not book early return flights. It takes forever to clear the ship, and with this being a bigger vessel, and a weekend return, I wouldn't expect it to be any easier in 2009.

Well, we booked out airfare and actually got it a bit below the $350 mark, however, now if you want the exit rows or a bit more leg room Jet blue charges you $30.00 extra but considering its a long flight I bumped us up.

It was great advice about the later afternoon flights. I had read that elsewhere on this and the Atlantis Alumni board so we're heading out around 2ish. I had seen a flight for 11 but figured we'd never make it although i've been lurking on the Mariner roll calls and it looks like the port has its act together and people are disembarking quickly even for a bigger ship. No matter, we hang out and relax until we're back east.

We're really looking forward to seeing some friends of ours who are in LA too, I can't wait.

Hey guys. Think I'll be booking this cruise in the next week or two, but a few things have come across my mind and I've tried to find some answers but haven't quite yet.

1. I'm sailing solo--my third cruise and my first vacation alone ever. I've been on a sailing with a gay group (10/28/06), a straight cruise last year (Carnival Glory 11/01/2008) and now my first all gay cruise. I'm aware of the roommate matching program Atlantis has, but its exclusively based on smoking preference only. No changes if a match doesn't work. For me the vacation is a wild card. I can see myself playing both sides of the spectrum--out and a about party guy possibly meeting someone I'd like to spend some personal time with--or a bit overwhelmed and just wanting to stay away from the crowds possibly relaxing a lot in my cabin (during on sea time). If the price difference between a room share and paying for the whole room to myself may mean the difference between going on the cruise and not going--is it worth the bet to do the room match?

2. There are so many guys in the pictures on Atlantis' web site and I've seen the 3,200 passenger count for a long while now. It looks so crowded that a quiet meek person might not be able to get around because of all the pushing through the crowd required. Anybody feel they overbook the ship for the space it has? Anyone experience if they've run out of "the good food" in the past?

3. I was reading about the clubs in Puerto Vallarta and came across this quote "Vallarta's primary club or disco scene, gay or straight, is pretty late in the evening. Don't plan on much happening at these clubs until past midnight.". I note that that we're staying 'till 2AM in this port... What time do you think one should be heading back to the ship to be sure you don't miss it?

4. Being my first all gay cruise, is there some things I should consider different than my previous cruises that would affect what I pack? In the past I've had to pack a Halloween costume because the cruise included Halloween, but best I can gage from a few random YouTube videos of Atlantis cruises, all I'll need to worry about is packing more than just two swim suits like I have in the past. Swim suits appear to be worn far more often. Also wonder if they have themed nights like AquaFest did? It was very interesting getting various themed items like the ones for military night and black and pink night (I work a pink tie).

Anyhow, hope this cruise happens for me. I'm getting more an more excited about it as I push towards making it happen. :rolleyes:

Hey there-

I have travelled with people I haven't known before, but who were referred to my through a friend. That's the route I'd recommend. Try and meet some other Atlantis Events people in your town, either through Facebook or through atlantis411.net.

This Mexico cruise with be my 6th cruise with Atlantis. I've never seen any crowds that were overwhelming inside the ship. The crowd on the dance floor can be really good, but if it's too much for you, you can hang out at the bar that overlooks the pool deck from one level above. There is always a good mix of people, and you will find a comfortable place.

Atlantis always has famous theme parties. The standards are the Dog Tag (military) T-Dance, the 70's Disco T-Dance, Mardi Gras party, the famous White Party, and usually some variation a tribal or Brazil party. The more costumes you bring and the more you participate, the more fun you will have IMO.

Meet as many people as possible BEFORE going so that you'll feel comfortable once on board. You'll meet people easily at the singles dinners and also on any excursions you book.

I wouldn't worry too much about the late night in P.V. The parties and boys onboard are so much better/hotter. But a lot of people do run out to Manana's around 10 or 11 for a few hours before we depart.

Hope this helps, D :D

I hadn't found atlantis411.net before. I like it! Looking forward to this cruise getting added to the "Who's going" section. I'll definitely be adding myself to the list of who's going after I book.

This Mexico cruise with be my 6th cruise with Atlantis. I've never seen any crowds that were overwhelming inside the ship.

Ah very good. Your mention of inside the ship did remind me of my experience on the Carnival Glory. The elevator hallway before the dining room sure got hot and crowded just before they opened (probably because they close the doors to the dining room which are pretty much at the elevator. We finally got wise and waited until the last minute to show up so we could just walk in as they opened the doors. Guess they can't have closed spaces too crowded--it wouldn't be very safe.

Thanks for the party list. It was the clue I need to find a good sample PDF of information to read. Wow, this will be the first cruise I've been on that didn't have formal dining nights. All the more space for costumes! ;)

I think meeting as many people possible before the cruise is very good advise. In retrospect to my previous cruises, I think the more people I knew--the better a time I had.

I wouldn't worry too much about the late night in P.V. The parties and boys onboard are so much better/hotter.

Just hearing that is great news. Days at sea may be just as fun, if not more so at times, than the ports of call. Thats an interesting change.

Yes all that information helped! You pretty much answered all my questions. I'm sure I'll have more as I continue to plan this trip. :)

Hey Mufasa-I'm in the same boat. I've already booked an E1 as a solo but can add a cabin mate. I'm very laid back and easy to get along with. Let me know if you are interested and we can chat about. it.

J

Hey Mufasa-I'm in the same boat. I've already booked an E1 as a solo but can add a cabin mate.

I wouldn't say thats the same situation. I haven't booked yet and even if I did the room share, I'd probably end up in the $450 cheaper L than an E1. Those E1 rooms do look nice though. :)

I'm very laid back and easy to get along with. Let me know if you are interested and we can chat about. it.

Exactly how you described yourself in your post just before my first post on this thread. :rolleyes: I'll drop you a PM later today.

Exactly how you described yourself in your post just before my first post on this thread. :rolleyes: I'll drop you a PM later today.

Or not. "Your administrator has disabled private messaging.". Maybe I'm blind but I'm not finding any other way of contacting you other than a public post. I couldn't find any web sites, e-mails, screen names etc. in your cruise critic profile.

Anyhow, I wanted to see if you had any profiles or pictures of yourself elsewhere. I started to think of the topic myself and decided to throw together a page on myself for those interested in getting to know a little more about me. :rolleyes:

Puerto Vallarta has lots of fun things to do and it's the port where we stay the longest. :)

Last year was my first Atlantis cruise. About PV, you need to check out Blue Chairs beach of course, and then I did a zipline tour. The company I went with was: http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/ They are fantastic and really fun. There's also a club called Antropology. :rolleyes: Just check it out, that was fun and a perfect way to close out the night in PV. I'm on this year's cruise too. :)

Puerto Vallarta has lots of fun things to do and it's the port where we stay the longest.

Last year was my first Atlantis cruise. About PV, you need to check out Blue Chairs beach of course, and then I did a zipline tour. The company I went with was: http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/ They are fantastic and really fun. There's also a club called Antropology. Just check it out, that was fun and a perfect way to close out the night in PV. I'm on this year's cruise too. :)

I also just returned from the RSVP Mexican Riviera cruise. It was a lot of fun.

I'm looking forward to the Atlantis cruise and prefer their itinerary of two days at sea at the beginning of the cruise instead of at the end.

See you guys in October.

Archived