2009 Saint John, NB Canada FAQ and Interactive Cruise Ship Visitor's Map

Acey

Thanks for all the great info' date=' Acey and Sapper1.

I have a quick question. When we visited your beautiful city in 2005 we docked at Pugsley and there was a tent filled with vendors and I loved all the craft items. Last year we also docked at Pugley and they were building the new terminal so there was no tent. I really missed it. I thought I saw something over at Long Wharf, but didn't get over in that direction. We will be visiting you again next month and this time will be docking in Long Wharf. I was wondering if the tent is at either location, or are the vendors in the new terminal? And if the vendors are at Pugsley would we be able to get into the area?

Thanks.[/quote']

I seem to think, but not 100% sure, that both terminals have tents for vendors (even the new terminal). There are also vendors at Loyalist Plaza. As a cruise ship visitor you should have access to the tent at the new terminal also.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This tread has been so helpful, now I have decided to actually stay in the city instead of going on a tour.

I do have some additional questions I hope you would help me with?

I will be traveling with a 2 years old toddler, how stroller friendly is the city? If I were to take a bus, will I be able to bring the stroller with me, is a car seat required for cab? Is there any attraction geared toward toddler beside the aquatic center?

Any info would be appreciated, thank you!

Best regards,

qq

This tread has been so helpful, now I have decided to actually stay in the city instead of going on a tour.

I do have some additional questions I hope you would help me with?

I will be traveling with a 2 years old toddler, how stroller friendly is the city? If I were to take a bus, will I be able to bring the stroller with me, is a car seat required for cab? Is there any attraction geared toward toddler beside the aquatic center?

Any info would be appreciated, thank you!

Best regards,

qq

WE travelled with my 19 month old grandson in Oct 2009. We did use a stroller in all ports on our cruise and had no problem on buses etc. I don't know rules for cabs since we didn't use one but I would want the child in a car seat in a cab if it were me. We travelled on Princess, just to let you know, and at the time the baby was still in diapers and there were no diaper changing stations on the ship. I did post this upon our return just to let people know (we were very surprised at this since the cruise is sold as a family vacation and all pay the fare) and was flamed in my post!! Have fun. If you decide to walk to reversing falls-a long walk some of which is scenic and some right along a highway road and no rest rooms along the path.

I think the "Turn of the Century Trolley Tour" is this carnvial ship excursion:

Historical Saint John by Horsedrawn Trolley

Take a ride back into another time as you tour Saint John by horse drawn trolley.

While the one i am thinking about is:

Trolley Round Saint John

Saint John's history comes to life on a San Francisco-style motorized trolley tour.

I am a bit confused on which one is the right one

I think the "Turn of the Century Trolley Tour" is this carnvial ship excursion:

Historical Saint John by Horsedrawn Trolley

Take a ride back into another time as you tour Saint John by horse drawn trolley.

While the one i am thinking about is:

Trolley Round Saint John

Saint John's history comes to life on a San Francisco-style motorized trolley tour.

I am a bit confused on which one is the right one

I know what you mean now - I believe it is this company:

http://www.ambassatours.com/

They have 2 motorized trolleys in Saint John - it's possible they may be "chartered" by the cruise ships which means you may not be able to purchase the tour privately from them.

Hi Acey. I really want to see the fall colors again and we are thinking of taking a cruise this Sept. or Oct. Can you give me the best "guesstimate" of when the color change would be good?

I live near Washington DC and we are in the peak cherry blossom times and the peak date has changed 3 times due to rain and a sudden warm up so know that Mother Nature does change her mind on a whim. Just would like a chanch to see full color as I remember it to be spectacular.

(Considering starting in Quebec as our first choice)

Thanks for your help.

Hi Acey. I really want to see the fall colors again and we are thinking of taking a cruise this Sept. or Oct. Can you give me the best "guesstimate" of when the color change would be good?

I live near Washington DC and we are in the peak cherry blossom times and the peak date has changed 3 times due to rain and a sudden warm up so know that Mother Nature does change her mind on a whim. Just would like a chanch to see full color as I remember it to be spectacular.

(Considering starting in Quebec as our first choice)

Thanks for your help.

The leaves usually are at their best in these parts around October 10th. A warmer or cooler than usual fall will affect the dates but the area around the 10th seems to be a good bet.

Quebec City is farther north and they probably would be up to a week ahead of us in colour change.

If you look further down the page you will see that Acey has an updated thread for the Saint John area for 2010. I think you must have missed that one. Too bad the moderators would not make it a Sticky.

• 1 month later...

We will be in Saint John on 6/22. Thank you SO much for all this valuable information! Onto my question...

DH wants to kayak while we are there. Do we have to book through the ship in order to do this or is there a local, private company that offers kayaking?

We will be in Saint John on 6/22. Thank you SO much for all this valuable information! Onto my question...

DH wants to kayak while we are there. Do we have to book through the ship in order to do this or is there a local, private company that offers kayaking?

Contact River Valley Adventures in St. Martins:

http://www.fundyvacation.com/rivervalley.htm

Thank you Acey! It's about an hour to St. Martin right? What's the best way to get there if we decide to book the private tour?

I took a look at their website and will contact them for information about the tour but I want to weigh in the trouble/cost factor of getting there since I assume transportation isn't included as it is with a ship excursion.

The bus will be on holiday schedule - so the bus you want will only be running every 50 minutes starting at 10:45. You can walk to jet boat via harbour passage or a cheap cab ride. The bus is $2.50 each - so $5 oer couple - a couple more dollars yu can take a cab.

Will that cab ride cover 4 adults and 2 kids?

Will this cab fare cover 4 adults and 2 children?

I believe it's the same price for the car, whether 1 person or a bunch. Seat belts are the law in this province and no car will hold 7 people - you'll probably have to get a van for a taxi.

Thank you Acey! It's about an hour to St. Martin right? What's the best way to get there if we decide to book the private tour?

I took a look at their website and will contact them for information about the tour but I want to weigh in the trouble/cost factor of getting there since I assume transportation isn't included as it is with a ship excursion.

St. Martins is 50 minutes from ship. If you don't rent a car, go with Freedom Tours www.freedomtours.com

Can anyone help with some advice on whalewatching.

I think it's a little strangebthat with the whales in the Bay of Fundy that there seems to be no mention on the cruise's shore excursions or anywhere here anything about whale watching. Is this because it's hard to get to? I have found five or six whale watching excurions in St. Andrew's. Has anyone ever done there?

We would LOVE to go see the variety of whales in August.

Can anyone help with some advice on whalewatching.

I think it's a little strangebthat with the whales in the Bay of Fundy that there seems to be no mention on the cruise's shore excursions or anywhere here anything about whale watching. Is this because it's hard to get to? I have found five or six whale watching excurions in St. Andrew's. Has anyone ever done there?

We would LOVE to go see the variety of whales in August.

In addition to response on your other post - I would suggest calling Freedom Tours at 1-800-561-2324 - threy would be able to give you a definative answer on whale watching. Good luck and please let us know how you make out.

Archived