2009 Saint John, NB Canada FAQ and Interactive Cruise Ship Visitor's Map

Acey

Thanks, so it would seem like we would be able to walk on the ocean floor before high tide. Doesn't it take an hour or so to get there?

It is about a 45 minute drive---the better part of it on 2 lane twisty road with lower speed limits.

Wear sturdy walking shoes with non slip soles. The beach consists of large rocks underfoot and they can be slippery. You should not walk out to the caves in flip flops or sandals as you could twist your ankle in them.

After you walk out to the caves you can walk back up the road for a few minutes and appreciate the covered bridges. The fishing boats in the little harbour by the first bridge will be grounded out at low tide and as the tide rises they will float again. If you go to the other side of the little harbour you can get both covered bridges in the same photo.

This is really a great thread!! We have visited St. John 2 times on previous cruises and will be there again in mid Oct on our 3rd!! The people of St John are wonderful!! St. John and Halifax are my 2 favorite stops on the 7 day out of NYC!! Do they still play bagpipes when leaving St. John? I would like to visit the reversing falls, we wanted to do so on the last 2 trips but the ships shore excursion is quite costly, can this really be done on the city bus, if so, where to catch it from, I guess the new dock? Thank you for all the helpful info and can't wait to visit again. I did just receive the St John visitor's guide and map today that I requested 2 weeks ago!! Thanks again.

It is about a 45 minute drive---the better part of it on 2 lane twisty road with lower speed limits.

Wear sturdy walking shoes with non slip soles. The beach consists of large rocks underfoot and they can be slippery. You should not walk out to the caves in flip flops or sandals as you could twist your ankle in them.

After you walk out to the caves you can walk back up the road for a few minutes and appreciate the covered bridges. The fishing boats in the little harbour by the first bridge will be grounded out at low tide and as the tide rises they will float again. If you go to the other side of the little harbour you can get both covered bridges in the same photo.

Thanks for the tips on shoes and the covered bridges. This sounds like a very good excursion and I am hoping the tide will be just right.

I am going to St John is October and would like to go to St Martins and walk into the caves, but the excursion doesnt get to the caves until 10ish and low tide is at 749, so it doesnt look like we will be able to walk the caves. Is it still worth it to go to St Martins? Is Hopewell Rocks a better plan?

I am going to St John is October and would like to go to St Martins and walk into the caves, but the excursion doesnt get to the caves until 10ish and low tide is at 749, so it doesnt look like we will be able to walk the caves. Is it still worth it to go to St Martins? Is Hopewell Rocks a better plan?

By the time you get to the Rocks the tide would be even higher and you would not be able to walk on the ocean floor there either. It is a long drive to Hopewell Rocks. It doesn't look far on the map but a lot of the trip is over slow, winding two lane roads.

St. Martins is much closer (about 45 minutes) and is a very pretty place to poke around and take photographs--high tide or low. It would be a very relaxing day and I am sure ---much cheaper. If I were considering driving over to Hopewell in my own car I would pick a time when the tide would be low and would not bother going if it were high tide. It is a very isolated place and other than the interperetation building, there is nothing there-----very scenic but the main attraction is when the tide is low.

We have booked a cruise which happens to visit Saint John in October as well. It will be something different---coming into our own city by cruise ship.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope either Acey or Sapper can answer my question!

Our ship will be in St John on Weds 16th Sept from 8am to 5pm.

On that day high tide is 10.07am. Low tide is 4.21pm but I assume we will have to be back on board ship by 4.30pm.

So when would be the best time for us to go and see reversing falls? Would it be at 10am or is an hour or so after high tide better?

Many thanks

Kim

I hope either Acey or Sapper can answer my question!

Our ship will be in St John on Weds 16th Sept from 8am to 5pm.

On that day high tide is 10.07am. Low tide is 4.21pm but I assume we will have to be back on board ship by 4.30pm.

So when would be the best time for us to go and see reversing falls? Would it be at 10am or is an hour or so after high tide better?

Many thanks

Kim

If you are there at high tide you can observe the gradual reversing process. If you are there over noon hour you could eat at the restaurant at the end of the bridge. Ask for a table in back by the window and you will notice the changes in the water over the course of your meal. You may also see seals feeding in the water in the area under the bridge.

It is too bad you will not be able to visit at low tide because that is when you get the full effect of the power of the river emptying into the harbour.

There is a brand new observation deck right by the bridge opposite from the restaurant. I have not had the chance to visit it yet but it is cantilevered out from the rocks over the river so it should provide a nice view.

When you leave the ship take notice of the height of the ship in relation to the pier and then as the tide is low, take note again. You will see a big difference---35 to 40 feet, depending on the moon.

Sapper,

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

Kim :)

I hope you see this and I guess I should have added that what you will notice just after high tide is a gradual lessening of the inflow current and the actual reversing process is not apparent until after slack tide when the harbour level and the river level are even. This happens a few hours after high tide and again a few hours after low tide. At that time it is possible to go through the falls in a pleasure boat for about a 15 minute window.

In case the other poster doesn't come back to this site, here is the link you wanted.

http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/files/fuse.cfm?section=28&lang=

Thanks. I just looked up the site to post it but you beat me to it. Just wondering if the NB Museum is within walking distance from the cruise ship dock. We were on this cruise in 2007 and didn't realize the museum was closeby. Thanks for any info on the distance. We will be travelling with someone somewhat disabled and a baby.

Thanks. I just looked up the site to post it but you beat me to it. Just wondering if the NB Museum is within walking distance from the cruise ship dock. We were on this cruise in 2007 and didn't realize the museum was closeby. Thanks for any info on the distance. We will be travelling with someone somewhat disabled and a baby.

The museum is located on the first level of Market Square. It is within a very easy walk from either Pugsley or Long Wharf. If you were here before then you would have noticed the Hilton Hotel on the waterfront. Market Square is the large building in front of the Hilton.

The museum is located on the first level of Market Square. It is within a very easy walk from either Pugsley or Long Wharf. If you were here before then you would have noticed the Hilton Hotel on the waterfront. Market Square is the large building in front of the Hilton.

Thanks! I was unaware that there were 2 ports. We visited in 2004 and 2007 and were at the same one (not sure of the name) In your opinion, is this a nice museum to visit? My daughter, son in law and grandson will be with us this time and we are looking for something nice to do. We would also like to do a river cruise if you know of any local providers. Thank you very much for your help!!

Thanks! I was unaware that there were 2 ports. We visited in 2004 and 2007 and were at the same one (not sure of the name) In your opinion, is this a nice museum to visit? My daughter, son in law and grandson will be with us this time and we are looking for something nice to do. We would also like to do a river cruise if you know of any local providers. Thank you very much for your help!!

http://site441.mysite4now.net/sjmarina2/site1/voyageur.asp

Here is a link to the river boat cruise company. As far as I can tell, you have to be part of a group as it would be quite pricey for an individual. However, it might not hurt to contact them. Since the cruiselines offer tours using them they may be booked up on cruise days and a shorex may be the only way. The river is very beautiful and scenic.

The museum is very well done. They have the skeleton of a very large whale suspended from the ceiling which the kids really like.

http://www.nbm-mnb.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=121&Itemid=316

Here is a link to the museum.

Maybe Acey can jump in here if he knows of anyone who may offer river cruises. According to the info on the link I gave for the Voyageur 2 info@saintjohnmarina.com is the email address of the Saint John Marina and they may know of someone who would provide a private cruise for you.

http://site441.mysite4now.net/sjmarina2/site1/voyageur.asp

Here is a link to the river boat cruise company. As far as I can tell, you have to be part of a group as it would be quite pricey for an individual. However, it might not hurt to contact them. Since the cruiselines offer tours using them they may be booked up on cruise days and a shorex may be the only way. The river is very beautiful and scenic.

The museum is very well done. They have the skeleton of a very large whale suspended from the ceiling which the kids really like.

http://www.nbm-mnb.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=121&Itemid=316

Here is a link to the museum.

Maybe Acey can jump in here if he knows of anyone who may offer river cruises. According to the info on the link I gave for the Voyageur 2 info@saintjohnmarina.com is the email address of the Saint John Marina and they may know of someone who would provide a private cruise for you.

Thank you. I did see this cruise as one of Princess' shore excursions bot I thought it was very costly (89 pp) I thought maybe there were public type offerings on shore, but I guess not for this one. Thank's for the links!!

That is a tough one. I like you, prefer to take an independent tour. I have always had a group with me so never had your problem.. I hope that you can find someone to share the tour with but if not, maybe not too bad to wait and see at pier what is offered..

Do you know how many other ships are in port that same day?? That would be the worry for me if several port, the pickings will be slimmer..

Is your sailing the 7 day?? I have a favor to ask if it is.

I would like to know the formal/elegant nights of the week and the repeat passenger party day/time if you would.. Want to play my group VIP party around those nights or times..

We two will be on the same cruise. would like to have a more low key, independent, tour than the ship offers. We've had great experience with such tours. Are you interested in working on this together?

We two will be on the same cruise. would like to have a more low key, independent, tour than the ship offers. We've had great experience with such tours. Are you interested in working on this together?

Am I correct you are on the Sept 26th sailing. You are welcome to join our roll call and get much more info on what we are doing..

As far as tours, I am happy to share info with you. Note that my group is all adult and prefer to tour that way..

Let me know or use the email addy below, just make the changes necessary to make it mail ready..

Am I correct you are on the Sept 26th sailing. You are welcome to join our roll call and get much more info on what we are doing..

As far as tours, I am happy to share info with you. Note that my group is all adult and prefer to tour that way..

Let me know or use the email addy below, just make the changes necessary to make it mail ready..

My error - I thought you were on the June 25 cruise, it must have been a different post. But I'd appreciate any info you have about tours, taxi guides, etc. We are also considering renting a car to go to the St. Martin area. Not sure it's worth it, perhaps reversing falls is fine and that will give us a chance to see the town as well.

Archived