2009 Saint John, NB Canada FAQ and Interactive Cruise Ship Visitor's Map

Acey

I drove by the new terminal and everything looks complete. I'll try and get some pics to post.

Here is a link to some facts about the new terminal that were printed in the paper this morning. I hope this link works. If it doesn't it is because the website requires a subscription. I would be interested if someone could tell me if it works because if it doesn't, I will know not to try it again for other stories pertaining to cruising in this area.

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/city/article/636713

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/city/article/636718

Acey - thank you so much for all the information you have posted - it is so helpful!

I was doing some research on the Fundy Trail thinking we could do that and then come back to the City Market. The folks at Parks Canada advised there are taxis that line up at the cruise terminal that would take us for a tour there for about $50.00 But after reading your descriptions of the City, the architecture and history, I'm wondering if we're better off just coming off the ship, perhaps taking a trolley tour for orientation and then doing our own walking tour.

This is our first visit to the Maritimes in general and Saint John specifically, so would like to really get a feel for your part of our Country - I'm a BC'er who's never been east of Gatineau.:)

Any insight you have would be most appreciated.

Acey - thank you so much for all the information you have posted - it is so helpful!

I was doing some research on the Fundy Trail thinking we could do that and then come back to the City Market. The folks at Parks Canada advised there are taxis that line up at the cruise terminal that would take us for a tour there for about $50.00 But after reading your descriptions of the City, the architecture and history, I'm wondering if we're better off just coming off the ship, perhaps taking a trolley tour for orientation and then doing our own walking tour.

This is our first visit to the Maritimes in general and Saint John specifically, so would like to really get a feel for your part of our Country - I'm a BC'er who's never been east of Gatineau.:)

Any insight you have would be most appreciated.

Taxis are $50 per hour - and a tour of Fundy Trail and back could not be done in 1 hour. Parks Canada is responsible for Fundy National Park - is it possible you are mixing this up with the Fundy Trail - which is run by a local authority???? Fundy National is much further away. As for staying in the city, I don't think you'll be disappointed - there is a lot of history unique to Canada because the the downtown neighborhood was settled in 1783.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask as we love to help out.

Hey Acey can you tell me where we could find out more info on Halifax like the report you did on Saint John I think you saved me a lot of hassle and money becuase we are now going to stay in town. And also my friends are looking forward to some Cubans when I bring them home. Are they reaL?

Hey Acey can you tell me where we could find out more info on Halifax like the report you did on Saint John I think you saved me a lot of hassle and money becuase we are now going to stay in town. And also my friends are looking forward to some Cubans when I bring them home. Are they reaL?

The Cuban cigars are real - however if you are American you will not be permitted to take them to the USA because of the embargo (unless that was recently changed). There are no FAQs for Halifax ( would love to see someone from Halifax do one ) - but I'm sure we can answer any questions you have about Halifax.

How would anyone know i had the cigars so I couldnt get them on

I think you are allowed to take them back onboard the ship (read that on this board last year) but you either have to smoke them or toss them before you go through US Customs.

Hi Acey,

The only information I have on the Fundy Trail was through following links I found on Google, needless to say my knowledge is extremely limited! What organization looks after Fundy Trail? Do you know how long it would take to take a tour along it? Is it worth doing and would there be enough time to spend in town as well? Any insight you can provide is most appreciated!

Regards,

YaYa

Hi Acey,

The only information I have on the Fundy Trail was through following links I found on Google, needless to say my knowledge is extremely limited! What organization looks after Fundy Trail? Do you know how long it would take to take a tour along it? Is it worth doing and would there be enough time to spend in town as well? Any insight you can provide is most appreciated!

Regards,

YaYa

Their website is http://www.fundytrailparkway.com - my understanding is it's just a local authority that runs it. It takes between 50-60 minutes to get there from Saint John - then you probably want to spend 2 hours there exploring some lookouts, trails and the interpretive centre. So if you spend 4 to 5 hours on this excursion, there is still a couple hours to spare to check out the city market and the downtown area of Saint John. As for worth doing, I think that's an individual preference - I enjoy it because I like the waterviews and photo ops - wheras someone else may find it completely boring. Some people may enjoy the history of Saint John and save their car rental excursion for Peggy's Cove in Halifax. Hope this helps.

good afternoon all. ;) I was reading somewhere yesterday about these black flies in canada. how exactly do they make human life misserable if by chance you do get bitten? and do we have to worry about them in saint john? I am still gonna bring bug repellant along but i am very cautious about bug bites. as a matter of fact the other nite took the trash out an my head started to itch like there was something in my hair.and sure enough there was a bee in my hair.:eek: that scared the crap outta me i tell ya.:( I am not a bug person, if i see a bug that shouldnt belong i smash it. bugs an me dont mix well. TIA sherry

good afternoon all. ;) I was reading somewhere yesterday about these black flies in canada. how exactly do they make human life misserable if by chance you do get bitten? and do we have to worry about them in saint john? I am still gonna bring bug repellant along but i am very cautious about bug bites. as a matter of fact the other nite took the trash out an my head started to itch like there was something in my hair.and sure enough there was a bee in my hair.:eek: that scared the crap outta me i tell ya.:( I am not a bug person, if i see a bug that shouldnt belong i smash it. bugs an me dont mix well. TIA sherry

Black flies like calm, shady areas. Any breeze or bright sunshine and they are gone. Unless you are going into the woods or golfing they shouldn't be a problem. They are very tiny but the bite results in a very itchy spot for a few days.

Mosquitos can be a nuisance in the evening or on a warm, cloudy damp day. I just spray some "Off" under my visor rather than on my skin and they stay away from my face.

An "off label" use for Avon's Skin So Soft is that is a great bug repellant.

• 1 month later...

Dear Acey,

"Blown away" doesn't cover it for me. You are a treasure and have now hooked me on St. John. Hadn't even been on my radar. Soo even though the ins and all keeps you from starting an agency....how about if we rented a car and hired you to come with us? No liability!! The three of us are are on the Majesty in St. John Saturday Sept. 5th. It is a celebration of my SIL's retirement after 47 years teaching 2nd and 3rd graders. She is a Benedictine sister from Atchison Kansas.

Blessings,

Gail

P.S. Wonderfully sunny here in Virginia. Just watched a robin capture a worm. Happy bird. The rabbits are another subject. Our newly sprouted plants could become endangered species. :)

Acey,

I will be at St John for the day on 1 July, I hear there will be lots to see in the local area as far as parades and celebrations... Do you think the bus system will still be running to get us out to the Jet Boat ride? Thanks and can't wait!!!

I hope that someone can advise me if it is really worth the drive to see this??

I have contacted a private tour company that can do this tour in a 7 hour time frame which is 2 hours less than the ships tour.. I don't mind spending 2 hours drive each way but some others in my group are hesitant..

Thanks for any info.

Dear Acey,

"Blown away" doesn't cover it for me. You are a treasure and have now hooked me on St. John. Hadn't even been on my radar. Soo even though the ins and all keeps you from starting an agency....how about if we rented a car and hired you to come with us? No liability!! The three of us are are on the Majesty in St. John Saturday Sept. 5th. It is a celebration of my SIL's retirement after 47 years teaching 2nd and 3rd graders. She is a Benedictine sister from Atchison Kansas.

Blessings,

Gail

P.S. Wonderfully sunny here in Virginia. Just watched a robin capture a worm. Happy bird. The rabbits are another subject. Our newly sprouted plants could become endangered species. :)[/quote

Unfortunately I will be on vacation my self in Fort Lauderdale on the 5th of Sept!!

Acey,

I will be at St John for the day on 1 July, I hear there will be lots to see in the local area as far as parades and celebrations... Do you think the bus system will still be running to get us out to the Jet Boat ride? Thanks and can't wait!!!

The bus will be on holiday schedule - so the bus you want will only be running every 50 minutes starting at 10:45. You can walk to jet boat via harbour passage or a cheap cab ride. The bus is $2.50 each - so $5 oer couple - a couple more dollars yu can take a cab.

Archived