2009 Saint John, NB Canada FAQ and Interactive Cruise Ship Visitor's Map

Acey

What is open on Sunday? I know I've seen it somewhere, but I must not be putting the right words into the search function.

I can't remember if city market is open on sunday when cruise ship is in. Hopefully someone else will know. Restaurants and small local shops will be open, along with outdoor artisan markets.

To Frequent Floater. I have been to "The Rocks" a couple of times and also been to San Diego. We are originally from Canada's Maritimes and return every summer. As much as this unique roch formation is worthy of a visit, I would probably not make the trip given all of the other things to do closer to Saint John. St.Martins is also a very unique spot which is much closer and very worthy spot to visit. St. Andrews is also a very worthy tour destination. One of the neat things in this area is the dramatic tide activities which are very obvious at all 3 locations but perhaps more so at the Flower Pot rocks. My guess is that if you choose to visit "The Rocks" you would enjoy it, perhaps very much, but I don't know if you would consider it worth the time commitment. On the other hand if you are "fixated" on this location then by all means, go for it !!! Three weeks are really not enough to tour the Maritime Provinces so have as much fun as you can with the time you have. Maybe return later for a longer visit. Good luck !!

One other thing for Frequent Floater. In my opinion the Flower Pots are best when the tide is low but rising, say at least 2 or 3 hours past full low tide. Maybe someone else knows how long it takes before visitors are chased off of the beach due to rising tide. I don't know when you are planning to visit but I would consult the tide charts. In my view the experience is not nearly as dramatic at high tide.

One other thing for Frequent Floater. In my opinion the Flower Pots are best when the tide is low but rising, say at least 2 or 3 hours past full low tide. Maybe someone else knows how long it takes before visitors are chased off of the beach due to rising tide. I don't know when you are planning to visit but I would consult the tide charts. In my view the experience is not nearly as dramatic at high tide.

I can't express my thanks for your thoughts on this.

While we are only in St John Sept 29th from 8 am to 6 pm, I am not in favor of spending so much of that time "on the road" but didn't want to miss something so unique. We had thought about St. Martins which is still an option with this tour operator.. Guess I will discuss it once last time with my family and make the decision.

Thanks again..

At both Hopewell Cape ( The Rocks) and St. Martins the tide is full at 09:15 and low at 15:20 on the 29th. In St. Martins the harbour completely empties of water from high to low tide. Also the caves in the cliffs become accessable as the tide goes out. Here are some photos of St. Martins that I took last summer at low tide. Unfortunately I don't have any recent photos of St. Andrews or Hopewell Cape.

DSC01048.jpg.91b1356ec75f93afdcb9cc925c580279.jpg

DSC01020.jpg.9f8cd602e6882190a6768322230323b6.jpg

DSC01039.jpg.4adf50f4d0994d4fdbc8c5e7b71d9937.jpg

Yes a good pair of shoes will be required, but a pair that you don't mind getting dirty or a little wet. So as you pointed out neither a " good tennies nor flip flops" will be suitable. The beach areas is like most beaches at low tide. There is some mud and water pools to avoid. Of course it could be fun to throw caution to the wind and run right through them... lol..Some form of "rubberized" footwear works well or an older pair of " runners / tennis shoes ". If the weather is foggy it would likely be too cool for " bare toes".

You answered my next question about "bare feet" thanks..

I am looking a another tour option of St. Martins which is a shorter tour and would give the group more time to explore the town once back from the tour.. I think it covers pretty much most of the kinds of things we would like to see and is several dollars less expensive. This tour person is such a sweet gal, she is working hard to help me set up just the right thing. It was her opinion that we do St. Martin or St Andrews in the first place..

I think I will contact her tomorrow and try to make a change.. Like you say it would be a good excuse to take a land trip back to that part of the world with more time to see/do more of the time consuming things..

Frequent Floater. Have a great cruise and vacation. The Saint John area is beautiful and rich with history. The New Brunswick Museum in Market Square near the cruise terminal is also a good visit to get a sense of the areas history. Late Sept will be a nice time of year to visit with great fall colors but bare feet are not likely to be an option. Be sure to have a Lobster Roll at Lord's in the Saint John Market. They are awesome !!! We are going to Alaska in July on the Serenade of the Seas so are looking forward to seeing that beautiful part of the world.

Frequent Floater. Have a great cruise and vacation. The Saint John area is beautiful and rich with history. The New Brunswick Museum in Market Square near the cruise terminal is also a good visit to get a sense of the areas history. Late Sept will be a nice time of year to visit with great fall colors but bare feet are not likely to be an option. Be sure to have a Lobster Roll at Lord's in the Saint John Market. They are awesome !!! We are going to Alaska in July on the Serenade of the Seas so are looking forward to seeing that beautiful part of the world.

Thanks again I have put your ideas into my NB file.. Love lobster so trying to do that in each port..

I'll be taking my Uggs for cold feet..

Hope you enjoy Alaska.. I loved it and can't wait to go back.. Seems the older I get the more the cooler weather ports are more inviting..

Thanks again I have put your ideas into my NB file.. Love lobster so trying to do that in each port..

I'll be taking my Uggs for cold feet..

Hope you enjoy Alaska.. I loved it and can't wait to go back.. Seems the older I get the more the cooler weather ports are more inviting..

You will not need boots to keep your feet warm at the end of September. I am still in sandals then. The days are still in the high 60's and sometimes into the low 70's, unless it is raining. Early morning and evening will be cool but nobody wears boots around here until late November or early December.

Are they expensive? Are there many taxis there waiting for people to return to the terminal?

You would need your cell phone to call for a taxi from the Irving Nature Park. I believe there is a pay phone there but one cannot be sure that it would always be in working condition. The area is only about 15 minutes from the port but it is quite isolated and not an area where taxis would hover looking for business. Take water with you as there are no concession stands there. The hike around the perimeter of the park takes about 2 hours and the scenery is quite beautiful.

Just get the phone number of the taxi that takes you over to the park and call them when you want to return. Our taxis are flat rate and not metered.

You would need your cell phone to call for a taxi from the Irving Nature Park. I believe there is a pay phone there but one cannot be sure that it would always be in working condition. The area is only about 15 minutes from the port but it is quite isolated and not an area where taxis would hover looking for business. Take water with you as there are no concession stands there. The hike around the perimeter of the park takes about 2 hours and the scenery is quite beautiful.

Just get the phone number of the taxi that takes you over to the park and call them when you want to return. Our taxis are flat rate and not metered.

Thank you, thank you!!!!! Glad I asked :)

First -- thanks so much to Acey for providing a wealth of information on St John. We have just started to research options for ship tours. We will be there (Princess) on October 14th. One of the tour options we were considering is a river cruise - the Voyageur II, (riverboat). Do you (or anyone) have any opinions on this tour. This is our first time to Saint John.

Looking forward to all suggestions. St Martins was also a recommended tour. Is it possible to know if it is low or high tide then?

Thanks again for your input.

First -- thanks so much to Acey for providing a wealth of information on St John. We have just started to research options for ship tours. We will be there (Princess) on October 14th. One of the tour options we were considering is a river cruise - the Voyageur II, (riverboat). Do you (or anyone) have any opinions on this tour. This is our first time to Saint John.

Looking forward to all suggestions. St Martins was also a recommended tour. Is it possible to know if it is low or high tide then?

Thanks again for your input.

Here is a link to a tide table site. Just change the date to suit your purposes. http://www.almanac.com/tides/predictions/oneday.php?number=6461&day=8&month=6&year=2009

Here is a link to the Voyageur. http://site441.mysite4now.net/sjmarina2/site1/voyageur.asp

The marina is located in a rather seedy part of the city but once you get out on the river and start your trip the scenery is gorgeous. I have never been on the Voyageur but spent many years boating on the St. John River system and loved every minute of it. The fall colours will be at their peak mid October. Dress warmly as it will be cooler on the river than on land.

DH and I want to take the tour to St. Martin. I contacted Freedomtours and on the date that we want to go, they don't have anyone else signed up and they need a minimum of 4 people to do the tour. I prefer not to do the ships tour if I don't have to.

Are there reputable tour operators that are at the pier? Is it possible to get off the ship and arrange the tour we want at a fair price?

Are there any other tour companies that I should contact?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks to all of you that have taken time to help all of us first timers to St John.. It truely is so helpful to hear from the locals and those that have enjoyed the area so that we can make the most of our personal adventures for the short time there..

I'm sure we will have a wonderful time.

Mammado, I have also been in contact with Freedom Tours. Very nice gal Heather is helping me set up for my group. Good luck in trying to find others to join you. What date/ship are you on?? Maybe try asking for others to join you from your roll call??

Frequent Floater - We are on the 6/25 Triumph. I have posted on the roll call and there are some others who may be interested in the tour. I was trying to figure out a worse case scenario, that if no one else books the tour, do I book through the ship or just take my chances at the pier!

Hopefully, someone else will join us and all this worrying will have been for nothing :D

Frequent Floater - We are on the 6/25 Triumph. I have posted on the roll call and there are some others who may be interested in the tour. I was trying to figure out a worse case scenario, that if no one else books the tour, do I book through the ship or just take my chances at the pier!

Hopefully, someone else will join us and all this worrying will have been for nothing :D

That is a tough one. I like you, prefer to take an independent tour. I have always had a group with me so never had your problem.. I hope that you can find someone to share the tour with but if not, maybe not too bad to wait and see at pier what is offered..

Do you know how many other ships are in port that same day?? That would be the worry for me if several port, the pickings will be slimmer..

Is your sailing the 7 day?? I have a favor to ask if it is.

I would like to know the formal/elegant nights of the week and the repeat passenger party day/time if you would.. Want to play my group VIP party around those nights or times..

DH and I want to take the tour to St. Martin. I contacted Freedomtours and on the date that we want to go, they don't have anyone else signed up and they need a minimum of 4 people to do the tour. I prefer not to do the ships tour if I don't have to.

Are there reputable tour operators that are at the pier? Is it possible to get off the ship and arrange the tour we want at a fair price?

Are there any other tour companies that I should contact?

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link to Aquila Tours, which is a very reputable local company.

http://www.aquilatours.com/

I have also included a link to the City Transit tours which can be picked up near the pier and are reasonably priced.

http://www.saintjohntransit.com/index.php?id=15

You can negotiate with a local taxi driver at the pier for a cook's tour---last year I think they were charging $50.00 per hour.

Acey will see this and may know of some others who lurk around the dock offering tours as he lives in the area near the pier and walks around and sees these things on a daily basis.

That is a tough one. I like you, prefer to take an independent tour. I have always had a group with me so never had your problem.. I hope that you can find someone to share the tour with but if not, maybe not too bad to wait and see at pier what is offered..

Do you know how many other ships are in port that same day?? That would be the worry for me if several port, the pickings will be slimmer..

Is your sailing the 7 day?? I have a favor to ask if it is.

I would like to know the formal/elegant nights of the week and the repeat passenger party day/time if you would.. Want to play my group VIP party around those nights or times..

Here is a link to the cruise schedule for this season so you can see what other ships will be in port, if any, and what pier you will be docking at.

Pugsley is the brand new terminal which is having its official opening today. It really is lovely and is a big improvement over the marquee tents which have been used up until now.

http://www.cruisesaintjohn.com/media/cruiseschedule.asp

If the tide is low at 10:14 am and you arrive by ship at 8 am will you be able to walk out on the ocean floor in St. Martin? I am thinking about doing a the freedom tour. Also high tide is at 4:27 pm what can I expect to see on the way back to the ship?

Janice

If the tide is low at 10:14 am and you arrive by ship at 8 am will you be able to walk out on the ocean floor in St. Martin? I am thinking about doing a the freedom tour. Also high tide is at 4:27 pm what can I expect to see on the way back to the ship?

Janice

You can walk out to the caves roughly two hours before low tide until two hours after low tide. It may look like you could still walk out after the tide has been coming in for two hours and there is nobody to stop you from doing so, but the tide comes in quite quickly and can get behind you and cut you off from shore shore so it is best to have a healthy respect for the power of our tides.

If the tour takes the long way back there are a few areas where there are some lovely views of the coast but the direct route is inland with not much to see. I don't know which they take.

Archived