corkage Fee

4bellablue

Hello to all

I waould like to bring wine on board to have in my state room

There is the $15.00 corkage fee, but does that apply if you have this in your room?

Thanks all for your input.

Makes for an expensive bottle of wine eh! I thought the corkage was only if you took a bottle to the dining room. :(

If you get a bottle of wine for the Anniversary package, and then take it to dinner. Is there still a corkage fee?

No, there is only a corkage fee charged when you bring wine on to the ship yourself. The fee is charged when you board.

Well it depends if you think its expensive. I got 2 bottles of wine for Christmas and took them on payed the $15 per corkage fee so $30 for 2 bottles of wine. Of course I ran out and bought a bottle of house red and it was $22 plus the gratuity.

I dont mind paying the corkage fee, thats just my opinion though, and being able to enjoy my wine on the balcony while watching the sunset

Well it depends if you think its expensive. I got 2 bottles of wine for Christmas and took them on payed the $15 per corkage fee so $30 for 2 bottles of wine. Of course I ran out and bought a bottle of house red and it was $22 plus the gratuity.

I dont mind paying the corkage fee, thats just my opinion though, and being able to enjoy my wine on the balcony while watching the sunset

I don't think it's expensive....what IS expensive is what they charge on the ship for wine or champagne. I would rather buy my own (at a much cheaper price than what the ship charges) and pay the corkage...still comes out cheaper in almost all cases. We really like champagne and bringing our own is cheaper even with the corkage fee.

I think the thing to do is...check out the wine list and see if there are wines that you would like and if the prices are ok with you....if not bring your own. ;)

On the corkage fee.....when do you pay it? I assume before entering the boat?

What, do they open all luggage and rummage around for bottles? (I'm not trying to get out of paying corkage).

Just wondering what to expect and when to have my money ready.

Thanks

What, do they open all luggage and rummage around for bottles? (I'm not trying to get out of paying corkage).

Thanks

All the luggage goes through the x-ray machine. If the wine is in the carry-on, they will usually send you to a table that is set up near the security area. That is where you pay the fee and they give you stickers for your bottles. I say "usually" because we weren't charged.

If they see it in your luggage, they will not rummage thru it, but they will hold it and then call you to the "naughty" room where they will stand with you while YOU go throught the luggage.

From what I hear, if you have "water bottles" they may open them and sniff to see if its really water. :rolleyes:

does anybody know how they handle the corkage fee for large bottles (e.g. 1.5 liter - is it $15 or 2x0.75=$30) or a 3 liter box (is it 3/0,75=4 => 4x15=$60). If using a box, would you put it in your carry on ? thanks for your help.

does anybody know how they handle the corkage fee for large bottles (e.g. 1.5 liter - is it $15 or 2x0.75=$30) or a 3 liter box (is it 3/0,75=4 => 4x15=$60). If using a box, would you put it in your carry on ? thanks for your help.

Jeff ~ As you're probably finding out, there is no exact answer to your questions. Some PAX are charged $30 for the larger bottles, some only $15. You should plan on the full amount, that way you won't be surprised. Boxes are not allowed, technically. I think you'd probably get one on, and again, how much would the corkage be depends. Plan on $60. I doubt it'd be more than $30.

I'm not condoning this, but PAX have been pretty successful smuggling boxed wine because the bladder is much like a rumrunnerflasks.com.

If it were me, I'd only bring on bottles since I KNOW they're allowed. Welcome to CC.

Thanks

JEDI ~ As the above poster said, you're charged your corkage at check-in, right after going through security. If you're "sent" to the table, make sure you explain you want to keep your wine and pay the corkage. At that point, the person there will write up your corkage fee's on an onboard charge ticket. So, you won't be actually paying until the end of the cruise with the rest of your onboard charges. Make sure you get stickers (I didn't once) and keep your onboard charge receipt they hand you handy in case you're asked to prove that you've already been charged.

Check your onboard charges carefully at the end of your cruise. Sometimes wait staff will accidently charge you again.

I carried two 1.5 bottles in my carry on luggage. I was directed to a table after going through xray. The gent at the table charged me $15 for one bottle without looking in my bag to see that there were two. When I carried the other one to the specialty restaurant I told them I needed to pay a corkage fee. The reply was "don't worry about it." I tipped the waiter who took care of the wine $15. This was last week on the Sky.

The policy stated on NCL website is that they do not allow Boxes at all. I know a few people have reported getting away with them. but that is the policy.

The "policy" is $15 per 750ml.

In reality, some pay more for larger bottles, some do not. Some pay for every bottle. Some do not. They do not care where you drink it. It is a charge for bringing your own bottle which means they can not profit. If you buy it from them as part of a package or gift from home or TA, there is not corkage fee. That bottle was paid for at the "onboard" price.

Some do not like to pay $30 for a $10 bottle of wine. Sorry, but it is similar to what most mid level restaurants will also charge you at home. Just the way it is.

As to boxed wine. I am guessing ,and only a guess, is that the policy has changed to outlaw them, because they are hard to spot in the boarding/baggage process, and therefore no corkage fee.

Policy is fleetwide. Enforcement varies on port and the ego of the scanners that day.

The "policy" is $15 per 750ml.

In reality, some pay more for larger bottles, some do not. Some pay for every bottle. Some do not. They do not care where you drink it. It is a charge for bringing your own bottle which means they can not profit. If you buy it from them as part of a package or gift from home or TA, there is not corkage fee. That bottle was paid for at the "onboard" price.

Some do not like to pay $30 for a $10 bottle of wine. Sorry, but it is similar to what most mid level restaurants will also charge you at home. Just the way it is.

As to boxed wine. I am guessing ,and only a guess, is that the policy has changed to outlaw them, because they are hard to spot in the boarding/baggage process, and therefore no corkage fee.

Policy is fleetwide. Enforcement varies on port and the ego of the scanners that day.

Hi Gary.. Good to see you.. been awhile. Hope you had a great cruise!! :)

Seems like a scene from some airport in the 3rd world.

I wish I could just pull out my 3 bottles and say "Here dude. Here's the $45 bucks too, Merry Christmas". I'd rather not get pulled into some 'naughty room' and all that stuff. Do you think I can just upfront hold the cash and say, "here you go" and not be pulled out of line and experience any "bumps" during embarkation?

I wish I could just pull out my 3 bottles and say "Here dude. Here's the $45 bucks too, Merry Christmas". I'd rather not get pulled into some 'naughty room' and all that stuff. Do you think I can just upfront hold the cash and say, "here you go" and not be pulled out of line and experience any "bumps" during embarkation?

I don't think it would be considered a "bump". If it is obvious that you aren't hiding anything...they will just direct you to the "corkage fee" table. I also think (we didnt get charged, so I am not sure of this)the fee goes on your onboard account...so you don't need to have the cash in hand.

If you're planning on checking the bag with the wine, you'll stand in line with everyone else who've been called into the naughty room, and then you can have the $45 put on your OBA. This is all assuming your checked bag has been flagged.

If you have your wine in a carry on, then you don't go to the naughty room. You also don't get "pulled" out of line. You still go through, but you are sent to a table nearby to be charged. Takes 5 minutes. It's the best solution.

Either way, they will not take cash.

Archived