Chilkoot Yukon Bus and Rail excursion

pacheco18

We did the 7 hour trip with Chilkoot last year and we had a fantastic time - we had a great guide on the mini coach trip back down, I think his name was Sean and nothing was too much trouble for him. On our return to Skagway, he dropped us off right outside the Red Onion Saloon or more or less any place in town if you were not going straight back to the ship. I am sure you won't regret the decision to book with Chilkoot - wish we were going again this year!

Gill

Unforunately, I suffer from motion sickness. Does anyone that has been on this tour think that will be a problem on the bus/van portion of the trip. I will take my medicine just like on the ship.

Thanks,

The smaller buses are easier on the montion sickness and they can pull over to give you some fresh air if needed, they aren't in that big of hurry that your comfort doesn't come first.

Stacym

The smaller buses are easier on the montion sickness and they can pull over to give you some fresh air if needed, they aren't in that big of hurry that your comfort doesn't come first.

Stacym

Dyea Dave uses smaller vans than Chilkoot. Depending on the time of year, and how many ships are in port, Chilkoot sometimes uses vans that hold 25 people (othertimes, they use vans that hold 14). Dyea Dave always uses a van that holds 14.

Dyea Dave uses smaller vans than Chilkoot. Depending on the time of year, and how many ships are in port, Chilkoot sometimes uses vans that hold 25 people (othertimes, they use vans that hold 14). Dyea Dave always uses a van that holds 14.

Having done 1 van tour that was nearly full, I will never book another as first choice - minibuses are my first choice, then vans because I don't like being squished, then motorcoaches last because even more I don't like crowds.

How do I contact Dyea Dave - does he have a website?

First of all, I have had my own struggle with this malady, in my youth, so I am very aware of at least one way to alleviate the unfortunate onset.

One of the first things I ask, as we are getting in the van, down by the ship, is if anyone needs to ride up front! A lot of times, the groups who are going with me are old friends or family (sometimes a rare occasion of both:D) and they already handle this for me by something like "We'd better let Chris ride shotgun!"

Next, FYI, I have never allowed more than 10 people onboard my van, for this particular trip, unless they all came as one group! This allows for everyone to have their own window seat, as well as plenty of seat room, but this is just my policy. You should always check with the individual tour operator for the real facts re. this and other things which might concern you about the quality of the tour that you might wish to take.

Finally, I think that I will entertain STG et al., in the new minibus (which will only hold 14 people as well,) as well as a ride in the regular van and let them post a review after they have actually experienced the sundry means of conveyance?

I hope that this will enlighten some who have raised questions on this thread and others.

And thanks to all of our visitors who seek the truth and the beauty of this great land no matter how you travel, or with whom!

DD

The man himself!! We're in town on the 10th June and I've heard great things about your tours. I've opened your website and see it's international! I'll email you for the tour(s) you offer and the cost if I may. Is that okay?

Hey Colin,

We didn't know you guys were going to Alaska! Are you staying with Vickie and Bernie beforehand? She was trying to convince Bill and I to change some things around and stay with them. We're cruising on the Star round trip from Seattle. You'll be in Skagway the day before us. Small world!!!

How's the foot? Can you still see where the stingers were?

Cathy

Hey Colin,

We didn't know you guys were going to Alaska! Are you staying with Vickie and Bernie beforehand? She was trying to convince Bill and I to change some things around and stay with them. We're cruising on the Star round trip from Seattle. You'll be in Skagway the day before us. Small world!!!

How's the foot? Can you still see where the stingers were?

Cathy

Small world indeed!!! We fly into Vancouver on the 5th and stay overnight with Vickie and Bernie. We're on the Diamond to Whittier followed by a six night land tour before returning to Vancouver for several days.

Foot is fine now and all scars healed.....thank you!

Colin

Archived