Chilkoot Yukon Bus and Rail excursion

pacheco18

Does anyone have any preference (likes/dislikes) between the

Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion, 7 Hours(Caribou Crossing Trading Post/Yukon Wildlife Museum/Husky Puppy Camp)

as compared to

Skagway/Carcross Rail & Bus Excursion, 9 Hours (Lake Bennett Train Depot dining hall/Parks Canada Interpretive Displays)

Is Lake Bennet a must-see? or is the time better spent in Carcross and having more time in Skagway?

I appreciate your opinions.

Does anyone have any preference (likes/dislikes) between the

Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion, 7 Hours(Caribou Crossing Trading Post/Yukon Wildlife Museum/Husky Puppy Camp)

as compared to

Skagway/Carcross Rail & Bus Excursion, 9 Hours (Lake Bennett Train Depot dining hall/Parks Canada Interpretive Displays)

Is Lake Bennet a must-see? or is the time better spent in Carcross and having more time in Skagway?

I appreciate your opinions.

I have never been yet just researching BUT I wanted to do the long train ride with the stop at Bennet and then get a bus back. If we did this you miss the dog camp. I have not yet found a tour guide that will do the long train all the way to Carcross with the dog carting and for us the dog camp was a must see.

I think that is the big difference. Hopefully somebody will report back that have actually done both and can compare.

I have never been yet just researching BUT I wanted to do the long train ride with the stop at Bennet and then get a bus back. If we did this you miss the dog camp. I have not yet found a tour guide that will do the long train all the way to Carcross with the dog carting and for us the dog camp was a must see.

I think that is the big difference. Hopefully somebody will report back that have actually done both and can compare.

You couldn't work things out with Dyea Dave?

The 9-hour trip that goes along Lake Bennett by train is, IMO, for those with a strong interest in trains or Klondike Gold Rush history. For most people, I think the 7 1/2 hour one is a better choice. Perhaps the photojournal from the long rail trip that I posted at http://www.railsnorth.com/carcross-skagway2007.html will help you decide - the photos down as far as Mile 30 are what you only see on the 9-hour trip (we did the trip backwards to what you're looking at - this direction isn't offered out of Skagway). The photos at http://www.railsnorth.com/steamex.html do a better job of showing what you see on the 7 1/2 hour one, which takes you as far as Fraser.

Murray

Thanks Yukon for all your help. We are happy with the 7 1/2 hour tour we booked with Chilkoot and Larry said if he can he still might be able to provide us the tour we were looking for. Will know more as time gets closer.

As long as we get to do the train with the dog camp we will be happy :)

Is it the same train that you ride on when you do the White Pass and Yukon Rail tours and the Chillkot charters?

Yes, it's the same train (or one of the same trains - different unites run many times a day), but Chilkoot has their own car on it.

Thanks Yukon for all your help. We are happy with the 7 1/2 hour tour we booked with Chilkoot and Larry said if he can he still might be able to provide us the tour we were looking for. Will know more as time gets closer.

As long as we get to do the train with the dog camp we will be happy :)

Hope I'm not being thick here, but where do I find prices for this June? Do I have to fill in the form FIRST and then they respond with a fare? I've scoured their website but to no avail.

We're there on a Wednesday 10th June and the railway company won't let me book in advance except for the 4.30pm 3.5 hour departure.

Is it better to book a trip like this through Princess or do you recommend I use Chilcoot?

I emailed them and received this response:

1) White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Excursion

Duration: 3.5 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM & 12:00PM

Cost: $122.00 Adult $78.00 Child (12 & Under)

Itinerary: 1 3/4 hours on train to White Pass Summit & Fraser by train - Return to Skagway by bus (This tour operates in reverse order at 8:30AM & 1:00PM)

2) Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion

Duration: 7 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM

Cost: $175.00 Adult $120.00 Child (12 & Under)

Lunch: Caribou Crossing Trading Post/Yukon Wildlife Museum/Husky Puppy Camp/Lunch Included

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser by train - 1 3/4 hours on train to Fraser, Fraser to Carcross & Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

3) Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion With 15-Minute Dogsled Ride

Same as #2 above plus dogsled ride included in this package

Cost: $206.00 Adults $153.00 Child (12 & Under)

4) Skagway/Carcross Rail & Bus Excursion (May 22 – September 2, 2009)

Duration: 9 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM

Cost: $228 Adult $152 Child (12 & Under) (Plus 5% sales tax)

Lunch: Lake Bennett Train Depot dining hall/Parks Canada Interpretive Displays/Lunch Included

Itinerary: 2 1/2 hours on train to White Pass Summit, Fraser & Lake Bennett – 1 1/2 hours for lunch and layover at Lake Bennett – 2 hours by train to Carcross – Carcross to Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

(This excursion operates in the reverse order on Wednesday and Sunday.)

Courtesy transportation is provided to and from all cruise ship docks in Skagway.

I am waffling between Chilkoot and Dyea Dave. My remaining concerns are:

Window Size and private rail car: looks like Chilkoot wins on this.

Expertise of the tour guides: I get the feeling that Dyea Dave knows his stuff. How about the Chilkoot people? Will they know what they are looking at: pretty purple flowers vs Lupine?

If you have had the oppotunity to travel with either one, I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks

Many thanks Grey_Eyes......that was quick even across the Atlantic!! How great Cruise Critic is.............

Do you recommend booking directly with Chilkoot then as opposed to the shipping line?

Colin

I haven't been to Alaska yet, but according to what I have read on these boards Chilkoot is a good choice.

Personnaly the only excursions I am booking through the cruiseline are the ones not offered independently. Not only because of the companies' good reputations, but also because I prefer to "shop locally" and support the people who actually live in these towns.

I haven't been to Alaska yet, but according to what I have read on these boards Chilkoot is a good choice.

Personnaly the only excursions I am booking through the cruiseline are the ones not offered independently. Not only because of the companies' good reputations, but also because I prefer to "shop locally" and support the people who actually live in these towns.

I like to book locally myself as well for these reasons, and I can spread out the bills so they dont all come due the week I travel :p

I had a GREAT experience talking with Larry from Chilkoot on the phone. I also read, as I said I'm in the research/planning stage still, that Chilkoot has smaller buses when they do the land portion. Whcih I like smaller groups.

I'm very excited about this port and this excursion.

I spoke with Larry as well a few weeks back. The buses are indeed smaller, making for a nice size group. He also mentioned that he's receiving new buses this year, with nice comfortable seats for everyone and extra big windows. I very much liked the friendly & professional tone of the conversation - that nailed my decision to go with them. He seemed very service-oriented. We're in for the 7 hrs rail/bus/puppies tour and I think that it will be a definite highlight!

I spoke with Larry as well a few weeks back. The buses are indeed smaller, making for a nice size group. He also mentioned that he's receiving new buses this year, with nice comfortable seats for everyone and extra big windows. I very much liked the friendly & professional tone of the conversation - that nailed my decision to go with them. He seemed very service-oriented. We're in for the 7 hrs rail/bus/puppies tour and I think that it will be a definite highlight!

I just received an email from Larry. He writes, "We operate vehicles with passenger capacities of 13 to 25." "On weds. we always sell out and run a 25 passenager, on Fri. we may have two in a van."

Archived