GRRRRR Carnival

robbyxoxo

There was an excellent documentary about Wal-Mart on PBS's Frontline last week (titled "Is Wal-Mart Good for America?" IF you have a chance to see a re-broadcast, I would really encourage it. In the meantime, take a look at the program's web site: [url="http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/"]http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/[/url]

This is a company with a lot of recent history of large class-action employment discrimination lawsuits, inadequate employee benefits (I guess that's part of the reason employees / communities do those fundraisers), off-shoring of manufacturing jobs, controversies in various communities for securing tax concessions for jobs that are barely paying a "living" wage, employing contractors who hire undocumented workers to clean their stores, etc. etc. etc.

Not long ago I was in my local Sam's Club and noticed a sign by the employee time clock that said "Under no circumstances will any employees exceed 39.9 hours per week without store manager's approval." Hmmmm. I wonder why???

I'm really wondering, is this company really so good for my wallet (and conscience) after all?

[font=Arial Black][size=3][color=blue]I think that we as Americans should only shop at stores that sell 100% American made goods,sold by employees (American born of course) with good benefits who are paid a livable wage. And that would be.......?[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='selucrey'][font=Arial Black][size=3][color=blue]I think that we as Americans should only shop at stores that sell 100% American made goods,sold by employees (American born of course) with good benefits who are paid a livable wage. And that would be.......?[/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]
Vermont country store,Selling pure VT maple syrup from VT tree's on VT land.
Steve:)

LOL Robbie not only do I wear a spare tire around with me......ok are you ready for this I am BALD :eek:

Here is the site for our roll call for Dec 13th. I think my head is a little big Robbie what do you think

http://www.reedserver.info/legend/index.html

I think you and Shelly are adorable.:D

My DD is also a Wally World employed collage student. They have been wounderful to her. She has even exceded 39.9 once or twice;)

She has also been on three cruise as mom, with four degrees, shops there to save money to take her:D

Not many people know what Selucrey stands for, but around the end of January, the folks down on the bayou will see them out on the streets.

Selucrey - will Joe Boudreaux be driving the hearse this year?

We have a City Cop that drives the hearse now. Joe #1 might drive the bus sometime. I should know you,right?

Steve, We are ALL FOS down here!:D

We moved up to the DFW area last year, but still remember all the good times down there. We are going to be on the Conquest Jan. 30. - That's two days after the first parade. In fact, we are getting married in Houma on Jan. 29th and the cruise will be our honeymoon.

We'll see you guys on the 28th.

We moved up to the DFW area last year, but still remember all the good times down there. We are going to be on the Conquest Jan. 30. - That's two days after the first parade. In fact, we are getting married in Houma on Jan. 29th and the cruise will be our honeymoon.

We'll see you guys on the 28th.

Well come say hi! at the parade. Congrat's on the wedding and the cruise. I loved the Conquest.

Check out the DFW meet and mingle thread. There are some good people up there.

Not to make you homesick or anything but check out our web-site... www.selucrey.com

:) i KNEW we could have some fun with this topic!.....ya, my comments appear snobbish and condescending....no doubt........we all have a preference to the kind of people we would prefer to hang out with.....you dont see homeless bums hanging out with hollywood stars.......birds of a feather flock together....this is life....why is it so wrong for me to acknowledge that we are from all walks of life.......not a thing wrong with shopping walmart or prefering hamburger and fries, but its not for everyone....im as cheapazzz as they come....i dont pretend not to be a major penny pincher....anyone that knows me personally knows i am....being money smart allows me to retire 30 years early and vacation often....different strokes for different folks.....a blue collar worker who spends his off time drinking beers and watching football would prolly not be hanging with white collar guys whos hobbies are sailing and golfing.....such is life.......the south beach crowd is VERY different from the carnival cruising crowd....i would hope that at least we can agree on that much....i obviously prefer the south beach crowd........carnival is full of down to earth people....people that work hard to be able to afford their vacations....for many of them its a once in a lifetime trip.......id say most of them probably cant really afford to cruise but made the splurge anyways.....most of them will retire relying heavily on social security and would be better served using their cruise money to fund their IRA.............ill continue to sail carnival because they offer great value for what they provide....and me being the cheapazzz i am, i cant pass up a good deal......CRUISINGATOR is right....in a perfect world id love to cruise among the beautiful people but at walmart prices.......

i'm not going to quibble with your personal choices -- to each his own. instead, i just want to note that it's not necessarily what you say but how one says it. i feel that: one can be gracious while enjoying the good life without denegrating those with different tastes or capabilities; that when one begins a phrase, "there's nothing wrong with...", that the person is expressing more than a preference but believes, mistakenly, that his choice is better just because he has chosen it; and that generalities, generally, show the ignorance of the speaker. JMHO...:cool:

i'm not going to quibble with your personal choices -- to each his own. instead, i just want to note that it's not necessarily what you say but how one says it. i feel that: one can be gracious while enjoying the good life without denegrating those with different tastes or capabilities; that when one begins a phrase, "there's nothing wrong with...", that the person is expressing more than a preference but believes, mistakenly, that his choice is better just because he has chosen it; and that generalities, generally, show the ignorance of the speaker. JMHO...:cool:

Very nicely put! We keep saying we should not judge others by their appearance, but it's hard not to come to some conclusion about others based on the way they express themselves. Know what I mean, robby?

Archived