Cancun - Is It Still Safe?

mdmomof7

In light of the recent killings and army now patrolling Cancun, is it safe to go there?

An article in The Washington Post World section today makes me think that visiting here is not a good idea at this time.

:confused:

Cancun really hasn't changed over the years (aside from being built up), there has always been politically motivated crimes, and drug cartel issues. However, they are quite specific and are not random acts on tourists in the hotel zone.

I believe what has changed is the media's coverage of the events.

I've been traveling to the area for the better part of 20 years and have never felt unsafe while in Cancun whether with a group of friends or traveling solo. if you are planning a vacation over there, check out trip advisor ... there may still be a few active threads on the recent news reports.

• 4 weeks later...
In light of the recent killings and army now patrolling Cancun, is it safe to go there?

An article in The Washington Post World section today makes me think that visiting here is not a good idea at this time.

:confused:

Yes, very safe. This one incident in the news was not near the tourist areas, and had no bearing on visiting Cancun or not. It was as simple as a corrupt police chief who the feds decided needed ousted. They came in, ousted and arrested him and his other cop buddies, and that was that.

The other things in the news right now are in the border areas, 1,500 miles away from Cancun. That's like as far as it is from Minneapolis or Seattle to the border regions - nothing to worry about if you're visiting Cancun. Have a great time!

>I believe what has changed is the media's coverage of the events.

Well, that's not 100% true... Mexico is going through some tough times. We went to Cancun about 8 months ago and there was chatter about crime in the area but I don't think it was against tourists.

I'd go back but I'd also pay attention to world events. (not because of Cancun proper but because the whole country is in an interesting place geo-politically)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my wife and i just got back from canun/ Playa del Carman and had a hell of a good time. we did not have any trouble at all in cancun.we went shopping at kewi market in down town cancun and we went on a boozcruise in cancun,we got back late from the outing and took a taxi from cancun to Player del Carman back to our resort.(Mayan Palace Riviera Maya) if you don't want to go cause you think its not safe could i have your tickets if you have any??? lol been there in 1986 and 2009 with no problems. Randy in N.H

• 2 weeks later...

Cancun as you know it has not changed.

I have lived in the hotel zone for 14 years and nothing is new this year.

We have the beaches, the restaurants and all the fabulousness to ourselves because of the media.

I have written to Bill OReilly several times to get him to report more fairly but he continues to argue.

We have new buses, new restaurants, and its only us locals enjoying it!

Well, until our next cruise to Europe.

Business is gooooooooooooooooood!

Come enjoy Cancun

Cancunense, as you can see from my ticker, we will be there in about a month!! I am looking for recommendations for a couple of good restaurants....can you help? Mexican and seafood are our favorites. Although, it's probably not called a "Mexican" restaurant in Mexico is it? Where can we find the best conch fritters, cochinita pibil, etc. Thanks :)

Cancunense, as you can see from my ticker, we will be there in about a month!! I am looking for recommendations for a couple of good restaurants....can you help? Mexican and seafood are our favorites. Although, it's probably not called a "Mexican" restaurant in Mexico is it? Where can we find the best conch fritters, cochinita pibil, etc. Thanks :)

here's some we like ... from a tourists point of view.

While everyone has there favorite places there are a few that have stayed the best for many many years...

La Habichuela downtown on Av Margaritas (comida Maya)

Puerto Madero here in the hotel zone for seafood and steak

Cambalache also for seafood and steak

La Destileria is where we go twice a week for gourmet Mexican food :) yum! Have the Love Margarita.

La Parrilla we go to quite frequently downtown.

Also La Dolce Vita...italian and seafood...though we go more for the staffs than the food.

These are really the places our friends and we also go...and enjoy right now because you are saving 30% because of the devaluation of the peso...13.5 to one has kept us dining out a few times a week, even during these quiet times.

Conch fritters...we like Conch Republic in Key West..havent had them here.

ha!

Thats it, we dont go anywhere else because once you have favorites, its just disappointing.

• 2 weeks later...

I could slap myself , that I did not mention to you EL CEJAS...

in the middle of Market 28...there is no better AUTHENTIC location for fresh seafood...ever !

The prices have gone up in the last 15 years...but it is still shocking for fresh perfect seafood, in the atmosphere you are seeking...I know it.

You rarely rarely see tourists there, though some regulars do appear at times...maybe its a secret that we just dont want to let out !!! ;)

• 2 years later...

I went to Cancun last year and i stayed at Moon Place they picked us up from the hotel and I did not leave the restort until it was time to go home I felt very safe some of the girls in the group went to downtown Cancun and had a great time at the club so I think ok to travel ther you just have to be careful stay in groups and don't go off with people you don't know.

I went to Cancun last year and i stayed at Moon Place they picked us up from the hotel and I did not leave the restort until it was time to go home I felt very safe some of the girls in the group went to downtown Cancun and had a great time at the club so I think ok to travel ther you just have to be careful stay in groups and don't go off with people you don't know.

Which would be the same advise traveling in any large city including Los Angeles, CA at night!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Has anyone been to Explor adventure park?

Kelbell, since Cancun isn't a cruise port any longer, this forum isn't visited as much (the OP is from 2009), if you're looking for feedback on Xplore, you may want to check the sister site Trip Advisor Cancun or Playa del Carmen forums. (it's closer to PDC, but the Cancun forum is fairly active and I k now I've seen some reviews there).

TA Cancun Forum

TA PDC Forum

BSQ

Archived