Seattle/Pier 91 Questions

Rainmn

We are sailing on The Golden, May 30. The plan is to arrive 2 days early to tour Seattle. We are booked at Springhill Suites by Marriott in downtown Seattle. They offer a shuttle service to downtown attractions, as well as a cooked breakfast buffet in the morning.

I think we will use Towncar for transportation from SEA to the hotel and from the ship to the the airport. The hotel has transportation for a nominal charge to the ship. Does anyone know how far Issaquah is from downtown Seattle?

The drop fees for a rental from SEA to a downtown office are high.

I just did a quick check on Mapquest from downtown Issaquah to Pier 91 and it says 21 miles and about 32 minutes, if traffic is light. I'm not sure if that was what you were asking for in distance, but to the Pier that is what they give.

We live north of Seattle and what seemed to take the longest was after we got off of I-5 through Seattle and then along the water front back to the pier. There was just no quick way to get there.

It will be interesting to see how this works once the ships are there. We had to stop at a guard booth before we could drive in. I'm wondering how this will be handled for the cruise passengers. He had to write us out a pass to drive in and look.

Does anyone know how far Issaquah is from downtown Seattle?

The drop fees for a rental from SEA to a downtown office are high.

Hulagirl is correct that it's about 20 miles, but I'm not sure I understand why you will be in Issaquah. Are you saying that you plan to drive your rental car out to Issaquah to drop it off and then somehow get from Issaquah back to downtown Seattle, just because it costs less to drop the rental in Issaquah? I'm not sure all that extra driving makes sense... unless you plan to enjoy the sights here in "the 'Quah" while you are here!

Hulagirl is correct that it's about 20 miles, but I'm not sure I understand why you will be in Issaquah. Are you saying that you plan to drive your rental car out to Issaquah to drop it off and then somehow get from Issaquah back to downtown Seattle, just because it costs less to drop the rental in Issaquah? I'm not sure all that extra driving makes sense... unless you plan to enjoy the sights here in "the 'Quah" while you are here!

Thank you, Sherry and Hula,

My niece lives in Issaquah and I would love to see her while we are in Seattle. We get in on Thurs and have tours planned for Thurs afternoon and Friday morning/afternoon but we could make the drive to Issaquah one of the evenings. I understand that there is a car rental agency near our downtown hotel where we could rent a car for the day to make the trip. The only problem is the office closes at 6pm which would mean a night of parking at the hotel which is $20....not a big deal but just one more thing. Oh well....I dont want to miss the chance to see my niece if she is in town.

Thank you, Sherry and Hula,

My niece lives in Issaquah and I would love to see her while we are in Seattle. We get in on Thurs and have tours planned for Thurs afternoon and Friday morning/afternoon but we could make the drive to Issaquah one of the evenings. I understand that there is a car rental agency near our downtown hotel where we could rent a car for the day to make the trip. The only problem is the office closes at 6pm which would mean a night of parking at the hotel which is $20....not a big deal but just one more thing. Oh well....I dont want to miss the chance to see my niece if she is in town.

Oh, I understand now! I wonder if there would be a better/less expensive option. You could easily take a bus from Seattle to Issaquah, it's a straight shot across I-90 so it couldn't be too complicated, but perhaps not ideal. I couldn't really tell you since I've never taken the bus to the city. Or maybe she could drive over to Seattle to visit you for the evening. It's not really that far!

You've got me wondering if your niece might be someone I know. Issaquah is a reasonable small town, and I know a lot of people from my kids' schools, sports, clubs I've been in, etc. Ask her if she knows a Sherry F. - there can't be many of us in town.:cool:

Hey Chris,

If you want to see your niece, rent a car through Hotwire.com. Honestly, I got the cheapest deal ever and well worth it in your situation. Don't take the bus or you will be at the mercy of the bus's schedule. Maybe your niece can come into town to see you instead? Also, almost all rental cars that close early do have a drop-off for the car with a nightbox to drop the keys in if you need to leave the car when they are closed. Just ask this of a rental car co. Thrift Rental Car is going out of business I heard. Like I said, try hitting Hotwire.com for the exact time and location closest to the hotel you are staying at. You will be pleasantly surprised.

bjrose;)

I'm unclear if this pier is open yet. Has anyone actually sailed out of it? My sister and her DH are cruising for the first time to Alaska with us in August.

My bother in law is capible of walking, but not for long periods of time. I was wondering if the ramp to the ship is similar to the one at the old pier, very long and continouse incline. Does anyone know what it is at pier 91?

Thanks for any help.

Tammie

Tammie the pier 91 is not open yet. They are in the process of finishing it. That is why we are anxious to see if it will open by the cruise season. I do know tht the first Princess cruise to alaska is in May5 or 6 or something like. There is a poster by the name of Seattlecruiselover who is keeping us informed. She posts over ata the West Coast Departures and she said that when she heard if it being open she would let us know.

Marilyn

How much do they charge for the shuttle to the hotels in town?

I agree - I loved the Edgewater the one time I stayed there - but I don't know that you can get in for under $250! I was booked there by my company and when I went to go back when we took the Alaska cruise out of Seattle I couldn't do it - but I did take my DW to see it :-)

I'm unclear if this pier is open yet. Has anyone actually sailed out of it? My sister and her DH are cruising for the first time to Alaska with us in August.

My bother in law is capible of walking, but not for long periods of time. I was wondering if the ramp to the ship is similar to the one at the old pier, very long and continouse incline. Does anyone know what it is at pier 91?

Thanks for any help.

Tammie

Expect it to be the same, and be overjoyed if it is better.

We’ll be going out of Seattle the first week of June. The plan is to drive there and spend at least one day before and after the cruise in Seattle.

We do know that Seattle is not a “car friendly” city. The website for Pier 91 does not say if long term parking will be available, or what prices will be. Does anyone KNOW what the charge will be?

Anyone have experience with stay and park hotels in the Seattle area?

When we drove down to Pier 91 a couple weeks ago we weren't sure where the long term parking was going to be. I looked on the Port of Seattle web site and was a bit surprised where they show it will be. Quite a distance from the actual spot the ship is. It sounds like they will provide a shuttle back and forth from the parking area to the terminal. At least that is what I got out of the Port of Seattle web site.

The terminal building is still in the process of being finished. It was sort of odd when we drove up to the guard booth to ask about it the guy there told me he wasn't sure it would be done in time for the cruise ships to use. I told him it wouldn't be until May and he didn't say much. The guard booth may really slow down the process of entering the area since that is the only way in. Hopefully they have that dealt with before we sail also. We live in the area so we are planning on driving to the pier and leaving our car. I keep looking at the port site and it says the end of February we may know more about the parking. Hopefully so.

Chris: Definitely look into a late drop off for the rental car. We had to do that in San Diego with Enterprise rental. There was no way we could get back by 6:00 there and I didn't want to pay the hotel overnight charge. Luckily they had a drop off at the Hyatt right near where we were staying. It was so easy and convenient. I would definitely call the rental company and ask them. Issaquah is a beautiful area and and easy drive. Sherry lives in a great area. Hope it all works out for you.

We’ll be going out of Seattle the first week of June. The plan is to drive there and spend at least one day before and after the cruise in Seattle.

We do know that Seattle is not a “car friendly” city. The website for Pier 91 does not say if long term parking will be available, or what prices will be. Does anyone KNOW what the charge will be?

We will be driving up from Portland and staying at the Comfort Suites. We will be able to leave our car there for the first night free and all subsequent nights are $5 each. There is a shuttle that they make arrangements with to take people to the pier. The cost is either $4 or $6pp depending on which pier it is. I basically picked this hotel because of the parking. But, from what I read on the "west coast departures" board, people are saying that it's a nice, low cost place to stay.

Probably in the neighborhood of $12.50 per day. The actual prices and further information are due to be released the end of this month.

Oh, I understand now! I wonder if there would be a better/less expensive option. You could easily take a bus from Seattle to Issaquah, it's a straight shot across I-90 so it couldn't be too complicated, but perhaps not ideal. I couldn't really tell you since I've never taken the bus to the city. Or maybe she could drive over to Seattle to visit you for the evening. It's not really that far!

You've got me wondering if your niece might be someone I know. Issaquah is a reasonable small town, and I know a lot of people from my kids' schools, sports, clubs I've been in, etc. Ask her if she knows a Sherry F. - there can't be many of us in town.:cool:

Her name is Laurie S and she has 4 children from elem. age to college. If you know her it will prove once again that this is indeed a very small world. email me at fltexans5@yahoo.com

I agree - I loved the Edgewater the one time I stayed there - but I don't know that you can get in for under $250! I was booked there by my company and when I went to go back when we took the Alaska cruise out of Seattle I couldn't do it - but I did take my DW to see it :-)

Hi

Terry called the Edgewater but the prices were high. He had stayed there a couple of times when he was in Seattle with work. I think we will be pleased with the Springhill Suites. I have read decent reviews on the place.

I hope you and your better half are enjoying your retirements. You know...there are still cabins available in June on the Golden.....Can you believe it....we even popped for a balcony. JoAnn and Bret are going on the Star mid May.They got a huge discount. I havent seen you online lately....

I would love to know the backup plan if the pier isnt ready by May 9th. I guess I will find out then.

The one cruise that I am going to look at is the 4 day cruise before you. It stars on May 5th and is a 4 day Sampler of alaska. I will be on the May 16th cruise so I guess we both are going to keep tract of that terminal.

marilyn

I would love to know the backup plan if the pier isnt ready by May 9th. I guess I will find out then.

My cynical guess? One check in clerk huddled in a tiny shack on the Princess side, and one on the Holland side, and people standing in line for hours. As for boarding, one of those small gangways like they use in the ports of call.

Archived