Would You, if it meant a less expensive cruise?

MrsFixitCT

When we did our land based vacation, the options were various "levels" of food plans, all of which changed the package price...

And I was thinking...if RC were to do the same...how would I "build" my vacation?

I think, for us at least, we'd go with a Windjammer breakfast and dinner plan, forgo Lunch altogether, and then augment our dinners with Chops. Not every night, but maybe 2 nites on a 7 nite.

While the dinners in the MDR are fine, and we have no complaints, we could very easily skip it, if it meant a cheaper room...

I wonder how much of our "daily charges" go toward food...and how much savings there would be...

We've been blessed up until now with the ability to cruise every year or so...and have alternated with land based vacations other than that..but I've recently gone from being a 2 income family of 2 to a 1 income family of 2. So, our cruises will become more infrequent...and I'm just trying to figure out some of the things that could be done to drive down the cost...IF it were available...

I've heard the food budget is only about $10 per passenger/per day. By simply substituting dinners in MDR for Windjammer, it likely only saves the cruise line $1 per day or so (if that; the waiters' salaries are nearly 100% tips and the food in the Windjammer is quite similar to MDR).

I think cruises are already fairly inexpensive if simply looking at the base fare for an inside stateroom. People already "pay" for any extras they want (i.e. better room, booze, gambling, spa, excursions, etc.).

I am not flaming but just curious....why would a family that has just lost a job, look for ways to encourage the companies to offer less? It has been said before, and I thought it was a bit dramatic, but are we to go back to the days of the titanic?

There are other ways to fight a bad economy than simply charging more and offering less. Disney is running book now, kiddos go free on the next sailing. Restaurants are offering "recession prices" on certain menu items. Our grocery store is offering reduced prices on certain staples. Our gas station is fill up get a car wash for 1/2 off. There are other ways to encourage people to spend.

BOGO pictures would encourage me to look at the pics a little longer.

Dinner at Portofinos/Chops...complimentary pic taken at the restaurant.

Adding bogo coupons instead of deleting freebies.

A corporation is not looking at your families bottom line, they are looking after theirs. Their job is to get you on board and spend as much money as possible. My job is to save money for my family's bottom line, and when on board to have a fun memorable time, with out breaking the bank.

I understand that with the economy that companies are going under. They will continue to go out of business until people think they they are getting a valuable product for the money they are spending. Look at circuit city who had non sales for Christmas. Best buy has better deals most of the time, so i disregarded their circular half the time. Linens and things who tried to best bed bath and beyond but would not honor 1/2 the coupons that bed bath and beyond would. There was a better value elsewhere and that is where consumers took their business. If there is an elevated amount of nickel and diming on our September cruise, we will not return to rccl. I am not worried about brand loyalty. My loyalty is to my family. (ok, I'm loyal to heinz ketchup:))

We are spending thousands of dollars on our vacation (just like everyone else;)) I just want to relax, not be pressured and certainly not have to keep a tally in my head to make sure I can pay for everything. I don't want to worry about meal plans, surcharges for steak, fruit punch etc, chair hogs, jeans in the dining room, babies with diapers in the hot tubs.....etc.

I have to agree with the other posters. I'm a thrifty person who would be extremely tempted to take advantage of the types of programs you describe. I tend to cut corners to save costs - it's just my nature. In my opinion, one of the very top benefits of a cruise vacation is being treated like royalty for a week. I don't want to be tempted to sacrifice that for the sake of saving some bucks, because it would lessen the experience. Not having that option saves me from myself!

Yes, there are ships where you can pay for what you eat.

They are called Ferries.

They sail in the Med and crossing from Africa and England etc.etc..

Pay for a room and pay for every item you eat and drink.

Silja Line comes to mind but you will spend tons of Euros.

There are also ferries that run from the coast of Washington up to Alaska. If you want a cheap cruise, you can board in Bellingham, WA or Victoria, BC and either bring your car or not, and take the ferry. The ferries have cabins and cafes for overnight travel. To save money, you can pack your own food and a sleeping bag so you don't have to rent a cabin. You can get off and on at the various stops. For information, google Alaska marine highway.

I think the vast majority of guests embrace the all-inclusive (foodwise) concept of cruising. Specialty restaurants are enough of a step in that direction. Your proposal would be taking mainstream cruise lines in the direction of Easycruise.

I say raise the price of the cruise and lets get good food like we had 35 years ago, and if you can't afford it you will have to wait.

JIM

This is not possible with the current CDC laws and add the fact they are serving 2500-3500 + passengers vs. less than half that amount of 35 years ago. Ships have to buy pre-prepared foods, canned foods, frozen foods, it's real hard to prepare great meals with those ingredients, but the CDC is too hard on them for storage and prep. Cruise ships can't get around those laws, land based restaurants have to follow laws as well, but have an advantage with fresh ingredients.

My husband cruised a couple of times in the late 70's and he feels the food isn't much different now than it was then. He tells me that many people just have romantic memories, as service was so much better years ago. I'm glad he told me about cruise food before my first cruise, that it is similar to banquet food, I'm never disappointed.

I feel I have to defend the OP's statement in saying they went from a 2 income family to a 1 income family. They did not state that anyone lost their job and I applaud them for putting family first if this is the case.

However, food costs on ships aren't all that great, they budget around $12 per passenger, not including prep cost. There are people onboard who feel they must "get their monies worth" and eat to the point they gain several lbs. of pure weight over the course of the week, then there are those who eat moderately or very little. There would be no way to monitor amounts of food taken from the buffet area, some people even take food for later or for onshore purposes from the buffet.

I understand your theory, but don't think it could work on a standard cruise ship. The only way I could see it working on a ship is if you went to a pay-as-you-go restaurant, such as Easy Cruise.

The real expense of a cruise for the cruise line is operating the ship and there is no way they can discount that expense without service and safety suffering.

I say raise the price of the cruise and lets get good food like we had 35 years ago, and if you can't afford it you will have to wait.

JIM

Agreed... Lets bring back old fashioned cruising that catered to the people who could afford it. Lets make it a vacation like it is supposed to be! If you want a vacation... SAVE for it! It makes it that much sweeter when you have put away money for a year or more and sacrificed to treat yourself.

Agreed... Lets bring back old fashioned cruising that catered to the people who could afford it. Lets make it a vacation like it is supposed to be! If you want a vacation... SAVE for it! It makes it that much sweeter when you have put away money for a year or more and sacrificed to treat yourself.

The mass market cruise industry has clearly steered away from this philosophy. They don't have 600 cabins to fill on 2-3 cruise ships. They need 3,4-5,000 heads in beds on many more ships now.

Now, if you still subscribe to this type of cruising, it's still available on a few other lines.

How much do you think an average 7 night Caribbean cruise cost then?

And for the OP, that is not a cruise i would be interested in.

You are kidding...right? For people who seek this it still exists. For Walmart shoppers, like myself, old fashion cruising would not an option in this life time. I save for all vacations but luckily can still go plus afford mortgage, college expenses and food in the meantime. Hmmmmmm, lets not go to Walmart looking for designer shoes. There are cruise lines TODAY that offer cruising of yester year, but it might require more saving that many could even imagine.

GEEGEE,

I cruised for the first time back in the early 70's and i don't remember the cost of the cruises but i think they were priced about the same as they are right now, now don't forget the prices could be about the same for a 7 day cruise but the doller is worth less now then it was back then.

You had more help on the ships, room stewards, waiters and assistant waiters and bar.

If I wanted a less expensive cruise I would cruise with a less expensive cruise line.

Same thing if I wanted a cruise where there was no smoking, I would cruise with a line that didn't allow smoking.

Pretty simple concept really, despite the fact that many don't seem to understand it.

I think the prices are to low right now. How you get a nicer meal in the MDR and better service if they don't charge you for it. Some people just don't get it- you have to pay for what you get. Cruising has declined in quality since I started cruising in 1979 and i miss the amenities.

GEEGEE,

I cruised for the first time back in the early 70's and i don't remember the cost of the cruises but i think they were priced about the same as they are right now, now don't forget the prices could be about the same for a 7 day cruise but the doller is worth less now then it was back then.

You had more help on the ships, room stewards, waiters and assistant waiters and bar.

So with the dollar worth less now then back then, the ships are still packed. To get the cruise you fondly remember you'd have to charge 4x what it now costs, just to match the value of the dollar. which means that a $3000 cruise would have to charge $12,000 to equal what you paid for in the early 70's.

In turn, the cruise lines will be losing more money and their would be less choices to cruise on.

I think the prices are to low right now. How you get a nicer meal in the MDR and better service if they don't charge you for it. Some people just don't get it- you have to pay for what you get. Cruising has declined in quality since I started cruising in 1979 and i miss the amenities.

and for you, a cruise that costs today $3000 would have to cost $9000 to match the value of the 1979 dollar

Well congrats for being one of the minority in this economy who can drop $1000/person including transportation for a cruise WITHOUT saving!!!! For many of us it takes a plan put into effect many months or years in advance!!!

I wouldn't choose to cruise if I had to select a "meal plan". I don't like resorts that offer this either, but it is just me. I prefer all-incusive or a la carte and wouldn't select a cruise if I had to monitor the meal usage, or eliminate some dining venues. I would just stick with land vacation.

Archived