Balcony vs. Oceanview for TA

jerseygirl3

Okay, I need a little reassurance here. We are booked on the 3/21/10 TA from Miami to Barcelona. We originally booked an oceanview, then decided to switch to a balcony. When an aft balcony became available, we figured that was even better and switched to that. Then I started worrying about a smaller ship, crossing the Atlantic, more movement and vibration aft (we've always had balcony cabins on our previous cruises, but they were all Caribbean cruises). Additionally, after giving it some thought, I found myself wondering how much use we'd make of a balcony cabin in March crossing the Atlantic? I don't like to be cold. We left Bayonne, NJ, on a repo cruise this past October 30 on Celebrity Constellation, and although we had an aft balcony cabin that shielded us from wind, I couldn't even stand being outside for more than 5 minutes at sailaway (and it was a sunny day with temps in the high 50's). So I had my TA switch us back to an oceanview.

This is our first TA and I rationalized that saving the $1,000. by going with an oceanview cabin was a wise decision. Although I don't normally get seasick, the consensus was that during a TA, it's best to be low and midship. So we're booked on Deck 4 midship.

Now I'm starting to second guess myself again. Will we get "cabin fever" spending 8 days in an oceanview cabin? I think my TA will kill me if I call him and ask him to switch us again.

I would appreciate people giving their honest opinions, not just try to soothe my worries. Is a balcony cabin really usable crossing the Atlantic in March. Is it very windy (of course, I know weather can't be predicted, but generally speaking, is it very windy?). I'm just thinking that even if we don't use it all that much, it may be nice being able to open the balcony door and let in some fresh air.

Opinions? And if the majority say to switch back to a balcony, would you kindly call my TA for me? We've switched cabins four times...would it be ridiculous to ask the TA to switch us again? Would you ask your TA or would you feel too embarrassed?

Jo-Ann

I would stick with the deck 4

You are not locked in your cabin for 8 days you are free to wander the decks ;)

You can always go on deck 5 outside & sit there when you feel the need for air.

Lyn

I understand your dilemma.

Perhaps B1 midship is a good compromise. More pitching in an aft cabin...... I felt it in dining room, and from your cabin looking out, seeing the horizon constantly moving up and down in itself makes one dizzy.

The weather will likely be so cold that you will not be spending much time on your balcony. It will be more for the fresh air, and a nice view and light.

Okay, so I solved the problem. I had DH (who never makes the travel plans, he just asks "when", "where" and "how much") call the Travel Agent. TA was very nice about it. We switched to a B1 balcony cabin, 6057. I just think that, even if I don't go out on the balcony all that much, DH will even if it's cold, and I think I'll feel less "closed in" with a balcony door that can be opened.

I've never been so indecisive before...could it be menopause!!!LOL

I think you made a wise choice - I suspect the vibration in the aft cabin on such a trip would have made it tough to sleep as I would assume they'd travel at a higher speed. We noticed on our med cruise that when they exceeded a particular speed that the vibration and noise was quite pronounced, when they were running at a slower speed it was quite nice.

We did the trans-Atlantic last March on Regatta, Miami to Barcelona.

We were down in 4041, and very happy there. Both my wife and I are not convincned that we "have to have" a balcony to enjoy a cruise.

When we want fresh air, we just go out to the upper decks.

We do spend very little time in the cabin.

I find it interesting that folks mention the vibration and motion in the center aft cabins, but no one seems to mind it in the owner's suites which are directly adjacent. In any event, I will find out, because I have booked aft cabin 7116 for that March, 2010 transAtlantic.

We've been in 7116 twice and 7119 once. There is a slight vibration while cruising. It actually helps me sleep. The vibration is a stronger when the side thrusters are used coming into dock. But I consider it my personal wake up call. I would pick those cabins anytime I could get them. You'll be happy with the cabin and larger balcony.

We've been in 7116 twice and 7119 once. There is a slight vibration while cruising. It actually helps me sleep. The vibration is a stronger when the side thrusters are used coming into dock. But I consider it my personal wake up call. I would pick those cabins anytime I could get them. You'll be happy with the cabin and larger balcony.

We like the forward cabins for a similar reason. At anchor ports, when they let the anchor go, it makes enough noise to wake the dead. For us, the anchor noise translates to "time to go to breakfast".

Jo-Ann,

Looks like we'll be neighbours, since we are in 6055. At least you know there'll be other people "in the same boat" :D

We enjoy some quiet time in the fresh air in privacy, so the extra bucks were worth it to us, even if it may be a little cool on the crossing. You would have to bundle up to go on the main decks anyway.

I can't address the balcony v. window issue because I've never had a balcony, but I think you were wise to move from an aft cabin. The vibrations bothered me so much at dinner in the Grand Dining Room that I moved from the lovely middle-aft window table to one much further toward center, and made sure to do that the entire cruise.

Archived