Is a tan 3 piece suit ok for formal night?

LuckyPink50

You will not have a problem getting into the dining room if that is what you are asking. On HAL probably around a third will be in tuxedos, about half in a dark suit and the remaining in a sport coat, lighter suit arrangement.

We are first time cruisers on HAL in March. I just bought my husband a tan summer 3 pc. suit. Will this be okay for formal night? :confused:

On HAL if he wears a suit he could be overdressed :D

As others have mentioned anything nice and isn't beach wear he'll be fine!

I disagree with your statements ... the OP is talking about formal night. Even for Smart Casual nights, he will not be fine as long as he's not wearing beach togs.

On formal nights on HAL, men in suits are not overdressed. While there may be some in tuxes, others will wear suits or sport coats/collared shirt/tie and dress pants. All are acceptable.

Some of the above posters seem to be confusing Holland America Line (HAL - very formal on formal nights) with Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL - very casual - no formal nights.)

If you'd posted this question on the HAL boards, you'd get a much higher percentage of "tan isn't formal" responses. I'd have to agree.

Those who said he won't be turned away are also correct.

Have you considered renting formal wear? I'm not trying to suggest only a tux or dinner jacket will do, but it's easy, no packing, the clothes in your cabin closet when you board. Cost is $85:

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/

• Administrators

I disagree with that, too. On HAL formal night is formal, and those dressed inappropriately may well be turned away from the dining room and sent to the Lido. That said, a suit (of any color) and tie should be fine; most of the men will likely be in tuxedoes, dark suits, or dark sports coat and tie.

On a very recent cruise on the Coral Princess I would estimate that about 35 of the men wore a tux or dinner jacket, 55% wore a suit and the balance wore blazers and sports jackets with slacks and ties. There was a very small percentage who were just in smart casual attire.

I disagree with your statements ... the OP is talking about formal night. Even for Smart Casual nights, he will not be fine as long as he's not wearing beach togs.

On formal nights on HAL, men in suits are not overdressed. While there may be some in tuxes, others will wear suits or sport coats/collared shirt/tie and dress pants. All are acceptable.

HAL has "dummed down" just like all the cruise lines-I was really surprised last year when we took our HAL: cruise-we were overdressed compared to most.

Archived