should we upsell or hold out

cruisun

We have an A guarantee on the Zaandam and have been offered an upsell several times and the price is now down to $799pp for 15 days. There are still many S category available. If we upsell we can still choose our cabin, if we wait to see if it winds up being an upgrade we can not choose our cabin and could wind up not being offered as an upgrade if they sell out. I have enjoyed the S cabins and neptune in the past and just can not decide if I feel like spending the extra $$$$. Dam suites, spoil you forever!

I guess you have to figure out what it is worth to you. A suite for an extra $50 pp/day doesn't sound outrageously expensive if you have the extra money and plan to use the space and benefits. If not, then keep your A cabin. I'd probably keep the A cabin and use the money for onboard and pre-cruise expenses, but that's only me.

It's definitely a gamble, that's for sure. If you really have your heart set on the SA suite, then I would take the upsell and guarantee yourself of getting it. But, if you'd really prefer to use that extra money for other things, I would take a wait and see attitude. You never know. If they are offering great upsells, that means the ship may not be selling very well and you could wind up in an SA anyway.

Blue skies ...

--rita

At $1,598 to upgrade I'd think about it.

That's $320 per port if you want to spend it on shore excursions, etc. All of a sudden those Helicopter Tours don't seem quite so extravagant! ;)

(I bet you'd remember those tours a lot longer than the suite too!)

Llast December on the 14-night Statendam, we were offered an upsell from a B to an S suite for the very same $799/person ... we turned it down.

If you really, really want that suite, take it ... as there will be others out there who will jump on it, and I suspect HAL may not offer you anything lower if others have their upsell credit card handy.

Thanks so much everyone for your help!! I am not sure how the ship inventory works. On Monday HAL claimed that at least 10 S cabins were still available, therefore I was hoping the upsell would come down in price or maybe even an upgrade. I checked again late this afternoon and only 2 S cabins were still available. SO......after many posts, and alot of second guessing myself....I decided to go for the upsell at $799. This will be our second time in a Suite. I did not regret it last time.

I love reading and listening to music on my balcony and with 8 sea days I am sure the balcony won't go to waste, not to mention all the other great suite perks and double the square footage of the A cabin.:D:D:D:D:D

Archived