Splitting Family Up at Port

going2cruz

Would you let your Family Split up at port?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Would you let your Family Split up at port?

• Yes
    • No

Am I being paranoid not wanting to let DS-13 go a different way in Antigua. One of his friends family ship ports there the same day and he wants to go the beach with them. Were going to do a Catamaran and I don't think we should be splitting up...anything can happen!!!....right or paranoid.

Last year in Cozumel we met some friends that had took cabs & ferries all the over from Cancun. We were doing the beach an hour later there son comes out of the water with his knee ripped open.

I tried to tell them they should all go hospital but they decided not too. It was getting very late we had no communication with them, the ones that the one that went to the hospital. I stayed with the wife and daughter at the beach to last possible minute to make sure they all got back together. As we were about to get in a cab they pulled up. We had a quick drink got in our cab when we got to the port we had to run to the ship.

Am I being paranoid or can things happen.

Would you let him go......I think I'll make this a poll please vote yes or no.

Am I being paranoid not wanting to let DS-13 go a different way in Antigua. One of his friends family ship ports there the same day and he wants to go the beach with them. Were going to do a Catamaran and I don't think we should be splitting up...anything can happen!!!....right or paranoid.

Last year in Cozumel we met some friends that had took cabs & ferries all the over from Cancun. We were doing the beach an hour later there son comes out of the water with his knee ripped open.

I tried to tell them they should all go hospital but they decided not too. It was getting very late we had no communication with them, the ones that the one that went to the hospital. I stayed with the wife and daughter at the beach to last possible minute to make sure they all got back together. As we were about to get in a cab they pulled up. We had a quick drink got in our cab when we got to the port we had to run to the ship.

Am I being paranoid or can things happen.

Would you let him go......I think I'll make this a poll please vote yes or no.

It all depends on the port and the ages of the family members. Our family (DH and I plus 4DS's and 1 SO) will all be in Bermuda in June, but the youngest person is 21 so for my family and Bermuda the answer is Yes.....we probably will split up in Bermuda. Now if we were talking Jamaica or Mexico...even over 21, I would try to get everyone to stay together or at least be in groups....never alone.

If my children were under 18 and I did not know the family, then no, we would not split up. It is not a vacation if you are worried the whole time. But if you know his friend and he would have a better time (and not drive you crazy pouting), then I would let him go. When my son was 14 he had free run of the ship (but not the ports) with a pack of other kids his age and he still considers it the best vacation he every had. In fact, now that he is 22 a cruise is the only vacation I can get him to still take as a family:) DH and other DS will be diving in Roatan in April. 22 yr old and myself will be visiting the monkeys - it is not uncommon for us to split up in port.

If I knew the family, I would be okay with it IF they were on the same ship because they all have to come back to the same place. But that family being on a different ship would make me nervous, especially if their departure time is different - they might end up splitting up. So, I voted no for these particular circumstances.

I voted no. My kids are 18 and 20 year old girls and I would not want them to split up from us in port. Anything could happen. I know they're old enough to travel on their own but when they're with us they rely on us and don't pay attention to details because they don't have to. I don't know what they'd do if they missed the ship. I know they wouldn't be able to pay for a flight home.I would be okay with it if they went on a ship sponsored excursion without us.

We are taking all of our kids on a cruise in August. I suspect we will go several different ways in the ports. Our 21 & 24 year old and their girlfriends are going to go para-sailing. I want to enjoy the islands doing something different. Probably going to take our 17 year old daughter and her friend and do something they want to do (we won't let them venture off on their own) like snorkeling or shopping. I know don't matter what we do my husband and 19 year old son will be snorkeling at every port. We will join them on some and others I want to do some shopping.

I know the boys are all adults and there idea of fun is totally different than someone in there 40's. They are also very mature so I trust there judgement. I think they are booking there excursions through the boat so that gives me a little more reassurances. My 19 year old will stay with my husband and I won't take my eyes off my 17 year old daughter and her friend while at port.

On another note - while on the boat I let all of them do whatever they want. Our only requirement is that we all get together and eat dinner together every evening. After all it is a family vacation. We are lucky that our kids all love spending time with each other so even though my husband and I won't be invited I suspect all four of them and their friends will be in the night clubs or where ever together during the majority of the cruise.

Hi going ~ I sure understand your dilemma, but since you're on a cruise, you really can't take this chance. It'd be different if you were on a land vacation, but there's just too many factors at play here that could really blow the trip for your whole family. I'm sure he really, really wants to go, so maybe you could provide an alternative so that he can focus on that and not his disappointment. Are you being paranoid? No. You're being practical!

If you knew the other family very well and they are going to be adults with him then I would feel safe.

That would be my take on it as well, but I think I'd like to be able to get in contact if need be (cell phone?).

That would be my take on it as well, but I think I'd like to be able to get in contact if need be (cell phone?).

Some cell phone carriers don't work in Antigua though so that may be hard...if the family is close friends and you know them well then you can feel safe...but if you feel unsafe about it to begin with maybe your feelings are telling you something.....i try to always listen to those gut feelings!!

Some cell phone carriers don't work in Antigua though so that may be hard...if the family is close friends and you know them well then you can feel safe...but if you feel unsafe about it to begin with maybe your feelings are telling you something.....i try to always listen to those gut feelings!!

I don't feel unsafe at all ;) but then, they're not my kids

Hi going ~ I sure understand your dilemma, but since you're on a cruise, you really can't take this chance. It'd be different if you were on a land vacation, but there's just too many factors at play here that could really blow the trip for your whole family. I'm sure he really, really wants to go, so maybe you could provide an alternative so that he can focus on that and not his disappointment. Are you being paranoid? No. You're being practical!

Well put ... I agree completely. I might add one question - will the friend's family allow him/her to accompany you instead? Then you can spend the day worrying about making sure their child is deposited back to the ship on time and in one piece. Man, when my folks took us to Wildwood Crest on our family vacation and we got to stay at the Pan American (oceanfront, I might add) I thought it was a big deal. And we weren't allowed out of our parents' grip until we turned 19 ... Lucky children that get to cruise!!

Have you asked the other family if they would like to join you on the catamaran? Or, alternatively, have you considered having a beach day with them?

I voted 'no' for the separation. I agree with whomever it was that said if you were all on the same ship it would be different. With the two families needing to be back in different places at the end of the day, I think the risk is too high, especially when he's only 13. How would he get there? Would he go alone in a cab in a strange country? I doubt even if there was a ship excursion to the beach in question that they would allow him to go unaccompanied.

I think it's a really fun coincidence that the two ships will be at the same port on the same day. Perhaps if neither family wants to change plans, you might be able to at least meet for a drink or something before heading back to your respective ships at the end of the day. :)

I voted 'no' for the separation. I agree with whomever it was that said if you were all on the same ship it would be different. With the two families needing to be back in different places at the end of the day, I think the risk is too high, especially when he's only 13. How would he get there? Would he go alone in a cab in a strange country? I doubt even if there was a ship excursion to the beach in question that they would allow him to go unaccompanied.

I think it's a really fun coincidence that the two ships will be at the same port on the same day. Perhaps if neither family wants to change plans, you might be able to at least meet for a drink or something before heading back to your respective ships at the end of the day. :)

I agree with about everything you've said. Many of the problems of logistics though could be settled simply... "let's all meet up at "point A" at time "B" (however, I almost wonder if this isn't something the kids may have worked up on their own-Mom they said it's OK with them if it's OK with you---while at the same moment the other set of parents hear "Mom they said it's OK with them if it's OK with you") The other parents might be uncomfortable as well

A little addendum-I would rather have my kids (when they were 13) go with a friend (provided I knew & trusted the family they're going with) than I would like them now (at 20) take off at a port on their own. At 20, they think they're indestructible

Archived