Old San Juan

NKG6002

If you go to the left while getting out of the cruise terminal, there are horse and buggy rides that take you around. Really nice to do. If you cross the street, there is a free "bus" that takes you to the forts in a circuit. The forts (El Cristobal/ Morro) are a great piece of history, and you can get some really breathtaking pictures there. As someone suggested, go to the San Juan ports of call board, and read some threads. It will really help you a lot.

You can totally...just walk around...the ship docks right in Old San Juan....but also...you can take many...tours etc. just offered by local tour guides. There will be tons of vans etc. I think we did one for $20/pp...and it was really good. The guys showed us all over San Juan. Took us to the Capital Bldg...etc. etc., and then dropped us of right next to all the major shopping areas in Old San Juan.

Here's a street map/walking tour from the ship area: 323_walkingtouroldSanjuan.jpg

Here's the Google Map

It's a very compact area, with some pretty steep inclines if you cut straight across town towards the Atlantic side, but definitely doable if you are not infirm. Always a cab available to ride back to the ship, if need be, but then, it's all downhill!!

We've been here at night as well and it is very lively and colorful. Mostly restaurants, clubs and such in the PM...the forts close by sunset. IMO, Old San Juan, is not to be missed!!

Maxax--was that in the evening?? We will only be in San Juan from 5-midnight and would really like to see some of the sights but weren't sure if they did tours late in the day.

When I was there last Nov, from 5-midnight, you could do a San Juan tour for $10pp. Tour operators were lined up and waiting. I have been to PR about 7 times and thought the tour was decent.

Been there twice and both times my BF who lives there takes us downtown the same way. Just take a left outside the port. Walk down a beautiful walkway towards a fountain then bear right. Go until you find a big doorway, up the hill to the church and you are there. Walking is a great way to see all that there is that a car cannot show you. Love this city.

The reason I posted this question was remembering being in Old San Juan 40 years ago when it was beautiful...losts of little cobblestone alleys with hanging flowers and quaint little shops etc. We were back last May and did walk across the street and through the area but didn't realize this was probably the same area I was in long ago. It sure wasn't the same :( We didn't go there on a cruise but flew in from across the island where we were staying at the then International Hotel for a week. Oh well..... thanks for all the responses :)

Archived