Just how cold can I expect it to be?

kleven

We will take our first trip to Alaska May 21,2005. Any ideas on what kind of "cold weather" clothing we will need to take? Our winter is very short, so I will need to buy warmer clothing within the next couple of months if needed. How cold is it on the ship? Long sleeves needed in the dining room at night or are short sleeves warm enough? Any hints will be appreciated!

Hi!

We cruised to Alaska last July. The weather is variable & everyone says to dress in layers so you can remove one or 2 as you warm up. You can look at my pictures at http://community.webshots.com/album/162366929YEVWDY and get some idea of what people are wearing. On the ship it is warm & shortsleeves are fine. The coldest time on the ship was when we were viewing Hubbard Glacier and were outside. On HAL they served hot pea soup & also sold hot drinks.

As you can see from the pictures, some kind of raingear is advised--it rains a lot in Alaska. Earlier in the summer it had actually been hot & people had worn shorts ashore, but we were comfortable in jeans. At a cruise show, someone from HAL suggested fleece jackets & that is what I wore. My husband had a squall jacket. We did not need them all day long at every port. It also depends upon what kind of shore excursions you plan to do. Onboard, I wore capris often. Have a great time--we loved it!! Shari

You will run into cool weather, but leave the winter wear at home, better are layers with a knit hat and gloves. I take a lined lightweight nylon jacket, lined and unlined wind pants (never jeans- too bulky, take too long to dry) 2 pair of walking shoes, rain gear. Make do with what you have, throw in a couple sweatshirts, turtlenecks, tshirts. I always do laundry- greatly cuts down on bulk.

I have cruised once on May 23 and twice on May 31st.

We had great weather on all 3 trips - the weather for me on my May cruises was actually better than my July Alaska cruise. I would bring a jacket with me in the morning but could remove it in the afternoon. I wore jeans and a long sleave tshirt for most afternoons. The only cold times was when we were right in front of the glacier (College Fiords/Glacier Bay) and it was those times in which I was glad I had ear protection and gloves. It probably wasn't necessary but since I spend about 5 hours on deck those days - I was glad to have them. On all 3 of my May cruises - there were times when people were in shorts (I wasn't one of them....).

I come prepared with rain jacket and the interior fleese part of my Columbia winter jacket. This has worked great for my May cruises.

I love cruising in May - generally there is less rain in May than July and August.

We are also cruising May 21. What ship are you on? We are on the NCL Spirit. We've been thinking the same thing as we need to buy winter type clothes now since they won't be available in May.

So far, we've pur*****d long sleeved shirts, rain jackets, hat, gloves and scarves. The weather does get cool were we live (West Texas) so will also be able to wear this winter. Will probably just bring sweaters, long sleeved shirts, jackets and jeans. I will bring my heavy winter coat. DH only wants a jacket. Layers seem to be the appropriate answer. I'm very cold natured, but DH is very hot natured. It is hard to determine what to buy now for something you may or may not need 6 months from now. We're not going to pur***** anything special for the trip that we can't use at home though.

I found it very cold when we cruised the Glacier.I wore my winter coat(well my Fla winter coat),it has a linning.I also had gloves and a hat.This was mid June.We had a heat wave mid 80's to 94 in Fairbanks.Layer your clothes if sun comes out it will be warmer.It could be windy and rainy as well so it is better to be prepared.

Archived