passport question

spintowin

I realize a passport is much easier to travel with, but why get one if not required? From what I read, the identification requirements will be the same for those traveling to Mexico, Caribbean, or Canada after June 1, 2009. So, why bother spending on a passport? Just booked Mariner for May 31, 2009 (only going for ship, NOT Mexico) and probably won't even get off ship. We have done this itinerary twice before. Anyway, any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks

I realize a passport is much easier to travel with, but why get one if not required? From what I read, the identification requirements will be the same for those traveling to Mexico, Caribbean, or Canada after June 1, 2009. So, why bother spending on a passport? Just booked Mariner for May 31, 2009 (only going for ship, NOT Mexico) and probably won't even get off ship. We have done this itinerary twice before. Anyway, any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Some of the requirements will change after June 1, 2009. You won't need a passport for your Mariner cruise and whether or not you get off the ship in Mexico is totally irrelevant. We will, for example, now need a passport for our repositioning cruise next October which goes from Boston to Miami via the Caribbean (including a stop in Aruba to satisfy the Passenger Services Act), and I believe that a passport (or other passport-related document)will be required for land border crossings into Canada and Mexico. You are correct that if someone will not be traveling out of the United States or such travels will be limited to closed loop sailings out of a US port, there may be no need to bother spending the money for a passport, but such people are really limiting their ability to travel to so many interesting places in the world and missing some great opportunities to expand their horizons beyond their small world.:rolleyes:

I was not going to get a passport for my cruise coming up in April and told my TA friend. She suggested I get one because my health is not always so good and if something happens they won't be able to get me home without one and I might have to be treated in the hospitals close to the ship. Then, when and if I get better I would have to pay for a flight home on my own.

I went to the Post Office last Monday (Feb 9) and got my passport in the mail today (Feb 14). It cost me $100 but well worth it just in case.

My son just joined the Marines. He is stationed in Pensacola FL right now but they are talking about sending him to Germany or Japan when his training is done. I have a passport so I am there as soon as he gets shipped. Luckily his choice of training will keep him off the lines, so he will go where he is needed to do aircraft maintainence, safety equipment.

Archived