Gym on Solstice

Mr Ed

I understand the each treadmill in the gym on the Solstice has a TV attached. Do you need headphones to hear the TV and does Celebrity supply them? If not, does anyone know if a Ipod headphone will work with the TV? I hope to get motivated enough to workout.:confused:

I understand the each treadmill in the gym on the Solstice has a TV attached. Do you need headphones to hear the TV and does Celebrity supply them? If not, does anyone know if a Ipod headphone will work with the TV? I hope to get motivated enough to workout.:confused:

I don't recall seeing a TV attached to each treadmill.When I wanted to watch TV ,I used the one attached to my bed in the cabin.

You need to bring your own headphones. IPod headphones will work, basically any headphones with a mini jack. The machines also have an iPod dock, you can plug your iPod into the machine. (though, I wonder why you wouldn't just listen to the iPod with your headphones on its own, without plugging it into the jack on the machine...)

There are treadmills, recumbent bicycles, cross-trainers and I believe one stairmaster. (it is the one behind the pillar in this pictures, you can just see the handles)

http://schplinky.smugmug.com/gallery/7329577_4ReXe/1/471659642_6YLzZ/Large

Mike

Nice pic, Mike - thank you!

Being a believer in re-naming a certain piece of gym equipment the 'trudge-mill,' I'm wondering if you happened to notice how many elliptical machines (think you called them cross-trainers) there were...?

Regards,

Dawn

You need to bring your own headphones. IPod headphones will work, basically any headphones with a mini jack. The machines also have an iPod dock, you can plug your iPod into the machine. (though, I wonder why you wouldn't just listen to the iPod with your headphones on its own, without plugging it into the jack on the machine...)

There are treadmills, recumbent bicycles, cross-trainers and I believe one stairmaster. (it is the one behind the pillar in this pictures, you can just see the handles)

Mike

Thanks for the information, now all I need to do is get motivated to use the machine:)

Nice pic, Mike - thank you!

Being a believer in re-naming a certain piece of gym equipment the 'trudge-mill,' I'm wondering if you happened to notice how many elliptical machines (think you called them cross-trainers) there were...?

Dawn

I believe nine, as in this pic: http://schplinky.smugmug.com/gallery/7329577_4ReXe/1/471660007_jCtCH/Medium

(There is one in the front row that you can see the back of at the left of the photo.)

Mike

Mike

Because if you plug your ipod into the treadmill or bike or ellipitical machine, it charges it for you....very convenient, especially for those of us who share a charger when we travel and never had to use it this trip.

I didn't like that i couldn't watch TV and have the ipod plugged into the treadmill....but you can't have everything I guess. And the weight machines were different than the ones at home, and the weights were in kilos, not pounds, not even labelled both ways, so I found it challenging to do my normal workout. There are very few light hand weights (only one set of 5 lb. weights for example), which I think they could correct easily and inexpensively. And no steps for those of us who do some "stepping". But maybe I'm just picky and spoiled with the city rec center at home.

That said, it's still a beautiful workout facility.

Virginia

I believe nine, as in this pic: http://schplinky.smugmug.com/gallery/7329577_4ReXe/1/471660007_jCtCH/Medium

(There is one in the front row that you can see the back of at the left of the photo.)

Mike

Yowza!! That's a LOT more than we're used to seeing... looks like a great gym.

Thanks, yet again, for all your help - and the great photo!!! I'm always referring new cruisers to your web site. I remember when I first found it... I dropped you and Lee an email, and you each answered separately, right away... amazing that you're so generous with your time and experience.

Dawn

Yowza!! That's a LOT more than we're used to seeing... looks like a great gym.

Thanks, yet again, for all your help - and the great photo!!! I'm always referring new cruisers to your web site. I remember when I first found it... I dropped you and Lee an email, and you each answered separately, right away... amazing that you're so generous with your time and experience.

Yes, I remember your email. It's hard to forget a nickname like that!

Even with that amount of equipment in the gym there were lineups for machines towards the end of the afternoon. The gym was very well used.

One think I thought was brilliant was that they held the spinning classes on a small deck just outside the gym at the front of the ship. You could do spinning with the wind blowing in your hair. That seemed very cool. (Though, I don't like spinning myself....)

Mike

Because if you plug your ipod into the treadmill or bike or ellipitical machine, it charges it for you....very convenient, especially for those of us who share a charger when we travel and never had to use it this trip.

I get it now! Lee brought his iHome clock radio onboard and it charges the iPod too. Not too bright myself, I was wondering why my iPod battery was not depleting as the week went on...I was plugging into the dock of the clock radio to listen to my music in the room. (d'uh........!)

Mike

Can you tell me if Solstice has steam & sauna rooms and how they are setup.....I like a steam before dinner most evenings & it seems fewer ships provide seperate facilities for men & women....also do you need to purchase a spa package to use these facilities???

Thank you!

Can you tell me if Solstice has steam & sauna rooms and how they are setup.....I like a steam before dinner most evenings & it seems fewer ships provide seperate facilities for men & women....also do you need to purchase a spa package to use these facilities???

Thank you!

They are part of the Persian Garden....and you have to buy a package. Something like $175 for two people for the week.

Virginia

woman's changing room had lockers, showers & a great sauna with a view to the sea--I assume they'd have one in the men's area as well....no steam but no charge!

Yes. Same when I walked in there in the AM.

The place was spotless.

Did not remember seeing a stairmaster.

The machines got busy about 7:30AM the week I was on.

In fact the next to last day they were all taken at 7:40AM when I finished doing my weight workout. Interesting thing is they used to have the threadmills and Elypticals facing forward and weights behind. Now it is the weights up front and threadmills and elypticals on the side facing the starboard side of the ship out to sea.

I liked the dumbbells went up to 75# and the range of weight machines was pretty good, and they had a pulley station! So as far as ship gyms goes, pretty good! Now if they could find some way to stop people who never workout from attempting to do so on a cruise because they feel guilty, lol...always gettin' in my way, lol.... As you can see, I'm serious about my gym time!!

328484882_jeffgym.jpg.3fea9882613476d90130aba4c655bf89.jpg

Archived