Has Anybody Used AirTran?

gooselover

I have flown with them and have never had a problem. They are the only airline that has actually pulled out a tape measure and checked my bag for size limitations, this is their right and my bag was under the max limit but just be aware this can happen if you have a large bag to check and the possible fee involved.

Airtran has really turned out to be a reliable airline. Friendly smiling faces and attentive service. I have always had on-time flights with them. I fly about 2x's a month and use them about 20% of the time. I use Delta more, but Airtran is just as good. I am based in Atlanta.

American Airlines: after mecahnical cancellation after mechanical cancellation, I do not recommend them. My last and final trip with AA was when I got to my vacation destination in December three days later because of mechanical problems on all the planes they kept tranferring us onto. I would have forfeited a lot of $$$ if I had needed to be somewhere to leave for a cruise. In my opinion, they are very unreliable.

I would fly Airtran without a doubt. You can get some great rates with them, as well.

We cruised in January 09 and had booked our airfare far in advance (May 08). Airtran changed our flight 3 times. We went from a direct flight to a flight with a 4 hour layover and then the last change they split my entire family of 6 up. They had my 6 year old on a flight by himself. It was one headache after another with them. Then after all of that, the return flight that we were finally bumped to was delayed because of "mechanical difficulties" which in turn nearly caused us to miss our connection in Atlanta. Fortunately, they held the second flight but we had to literally run to get there. We are cruising again in January 2010, but I will not book with Airtran again. Sometimes the bargain prices just aren't worth the hassle.

Doesn't matter what airline you are flying..this unfortunatly happens with them all....doesn't matter if you pay more..the airlines are constantly changing schedules due to the economy...

I've never had a problem with Air Tran myself.....

I absolutely love AirTran. Here are some of the positives:

-XM Radio in every seat on every plane

-Relatively young fleet of Boeing 737 and Boeing 717, both very reliable aircaft with short turnaround times.

-Boeing 717 feature rows of 2 seats in coach so you can't get stuck in a middle seat.

-Awesome customer service

-You can pay less to park and deal with much less passenger traffic flying out of many smaller airports.

-Upgrades to business class are VERY affordable at time of check-in.

-They lose less luggage than any other major U.S. airline.

-Tranferring at ATL is ten times better on AirTran than Delta.

-Boeing 717 feature rows of 2 seats in coach so you can't get stuck in a middle seat.

Note that this is a function of the aircraft and not just AirTran.

You can get "twosie" seating on all DC-9, MD-80/90, CRJ, ERJ, EMB and 767 aircraft. Plus some configurations of 747, 777, A330 and A340.

If that's important, research your equipment before purchase.

Note that this is a function of the aircraft and not just AirTran.

You can get "twosie" seating on all DC-9, MD-80/90, CRJ, ERJ, EMB and 767 aircraft. Plus some configurations of 747, 777, A330 and A340.

If that's important, research your equipment before purchase.

My point was you are more likely to get this type of equipment on AirTran. Just an added bonus is all.

I wonder why they never contact you. I give them my cell, home phone, and email address and they contacted me on all 3 when they changed my flights.

Bill

I am not sure either, BUT, I just checked my flight again yesterday and my departure time HAS CHANGED AGAIN along with my return time.

To date, I have not received a call, text, or e-mail or any communication from them. This is the third time in 1 month that it has changed:eek::eek:.

I am not even sure if I will get into ORD by 6:00pm by the time my cruise comes around. I started with a departure time of 8:30 am flying in the day prior so we could enjoy the day, then they change it to 10:20am, now it changed to 11:20am along with the return flight change to 2:50pm.

The only good thing. it is the day before and not the DAY OF:D.

I am not even sure if I will get into ORD by 6:00pm by the time my cruise comes around.
I have finally figured out a solution for ALL of your airline woes:

Head north out of Pittsburgh on I-279 and I-79. Take the Pennsylvania Turnpike westbound, then the Ohio Turnpike, then the Indiana Toll Road, then the Chicago Skyway. You'll now be in Chicago.

No schedule changes, no baggage fees, you can have liquids with you, and you are completely in charge of when you depart and when you arrive. You won't have to worry about anyone contacting you about anything. Should be better than always being unhappy with your airline experiences.

Head north out of Pittsburgh on I-279 and I-79. Take the Pennsylvania Turnpike westbound, then the Ohio Turnpike, then the Indiana Toll Road, then the Chicago Skyway. You'll now be in Chicago.

No schedule changes, no baggage fees, you can have liquids with you, and you are completely in charge of when you depart and when you arrive. You won't have to worry about anyone contacting you about anything. Should be better than always being unhappy with your airline experiences.

I have some directions for you too:rolleyes:

Slightly OT (but hate to start new threads) - when will AirTran open up their schedule for next December?

I'm looking at RDU to FLL 12/12 or 12/13 (sail 12/14) and return 12/22. Delta has flights at $218 + taxes roundtrip, which I think is really good, given that I'd be returning during Christmas week.

But since I have a cruise coming up in May that is costing me a bundle, I don't want to book my air this far in advance. My credit card is already hurting and final payment for the May cruise is 3/3.

I'd really like to wait until June or July, at the earliest. But, of course, I don't want to wait and then have fares be double what they are now.

If your flight time changes and it's more than a small amount, just call Airtran and tell them and they will rebook you on an earlier flight for no extra charge if there are seats available... Their customer service seems to be really good.

I am not sure either, BUT, I just checked my flight again yesterday and my departure time HAS CHANGED AGAIN along with my return time.

To date, I have not received a call, text, or e-mail or any communication from them. This is the third time in 1 month that it has changed:eek::eek:.

I am not even sure if I will get into ORD by 6:00pm by the time my cruise comes around. I started with a departure time of 8:30 am flying in the day prior so we could enjoy the day, then they change it to 10:20am, now it changed to 11:20am along with the return flight change to 2:50pm.

The only good thing. it is the day before and not the DAY OF:D.

Hey, PittsburghGirlee,Pittsburgh to Chicago Ohare? Really? AirTran doesn't even fly to Ohare, so the fact that they changed your schedule is pretty impossible. Could you possibly mean Orlando which is MCO - short for McCoy Airfield - or as any FA who has to memorize a page of airport codes will tell you,,,,Mickey Comes Out (to play).

Hey, PittsburghGirlee,Pittsburgh to Chicago Ohare? Really? AirTran doesn't even fly to Ohare, so the fact that they changed your schedule is pretty impossible. Could you possibly mean Orlando which is MCO - short for McCoy Airfield - or as any FA who has to memorize a page of airport codes will tell you,,,,Mickey Comes Out (to play).

Thanks quinceemom; I was having trouble figuring out exactly what cruiseline left from Chicago!

I used to use Air Tran frequently in the past before 2003 so I checked them out 1st last summer for our return from FLL to Philly after a trans atlantic cruise in Nov. My booking was direct to Philly and would get us in around 1 pm. A few months before departure we received notice of change of flight and we now had to go into Atlanta and there was at least a 2 hour layover. We arrived at Philly around 6 in the evening. We had to walk close to a mile from one terminal to another at Atlanta! At check-in at FLL the tape measure came out and we had to pay $78 for oversized luggage. One piece was over weight and we had to transfer clothes from one suitcase to the other in front of the check-in. We purchased our complete set of luggage 4-5 years ago when all the airlines down-sized luggage and we've never had a problem with our luggage while flying at least twice a year going to Hawaii, Los Angleles, Portland Oregon, Seattle, Las Vegas, Rome and England.

I will NEVER fly with them again. I have XM in my car so that is not so important. I prefer my IPOD.

John L.

You know FT, you can be so helpful on this board, yet you really do yourself a disservice with posts like this.

I used to use Air Tran frequently in the past before 2003 so I checked them out 1st last summer for our return from FLL to Philly after a trans atlantic cruise in Nov. My booking was direct to Philly and would get us in around 1 pm. A few months before departure we received notice of change of flight and we now had to go into Atlanta and there was at least a 2 hour layover. We arrived at Philly around 6 in the evening. We had to walk close to a mile from one terminal to another at Atlanta! At check-in at FLL the tape measure came out and we had to pay $78 for oversized luggage. One piece was over weight and we had to transfer clothes from one suitcase to the other in front of the check-in. We purchased our complete set of luggage 4-5 years ago when all the airlines down-sized luggage and we've never had a problem with our luggage while flying at least twice a year going to Hawaii, Los Angleles, Portland Oregon, Seattle, Las Vegas, Rome and England.

I will NEVER fly with them again. I have XM in my car so that is not so important. I prefer my IPOD.

Can I just say this,,,yes ATL is a big airport,,,but unlike PHL, it does have an underground transit system and moving sidewalks that run from concourse to concourse. The most you had to go was from one concourse to another,,,either C to D or vice versa. I've made that walk/ride many times myself and it usually takes all of 15-20 mins, even if going from gate 1 to gate 1. It may feel like a mile, and it may be if you actually don't take advantage of escalators, trains and moving sidewalks. There are only two "terminal" in ATL - the North and the South and there would be no reason for you to go either terminal if were just changing planes in ATL. As for checking your luggage size, I'm happy to hear AirTran is doing their job -those luggage size and weight restrictions are printed right on your ticket and on the website,,,,unless it said somewhere in the fine print that AirTran would make exception for you and only you just based on all of your previous trips to Hawaii,etc. I've had to move a pair of sneakers from one suitcase to another, but I just know it's part of the new flying regime. Now if you want to do something about those fuel prices which have just a little more impact than your travel history,,,maybe that would be just a little more productive. And as for your Ipod, hey, maybe it would just be easier for you to drive.

Sorry for the incorrect initials...yes, I will be flying to Orlando.

Sorry for the sharp answer. However, to your benefit, I did check your flight times and not sure if you're aware of this and maybe want to get to MCO earlier,,,but call AirTran and see if you can switch to an earlier, oh-dark-early flight to ATL and then connect to early flight to MCO. I did look at the schedules and it looked like if everything worked, you could take the 6A flight PIT-ATL and then one of three flights to MCO either getting there by 10A or noon. That's only if you can get on the 6 A flight out of PIT. Otherwise, you'll want to stay on your direct flight, since the next flight out of PIT to ATL would get you there at about the same time as your direct. Now go get on the phone to AirTran Rez,,,and let me know if it works out for you.

On our Oct. Glory cruise we were delayed for 10 hours for a medical emerg. for 1 of the crew members(appendix burst,she made it)Air Tran re-sche. our 1:15 flt to 6:00 that evening all for no charge ,great cust. service.I would and will pay more if need be to fly with them on our Nov.4 Miracle cruise,free pop and snacks also

We just flew AirTran for our vacation. No complaints with the customer service before or during the flight. I do know to check my flight itinerary and when the changes didn't work for me I just called and had them changed. I actually ended up with better flight imes than I originally started with.

Our flights were on time, smooth and we got there safely. That's what is is all about for me. The seats are slightly smaller, but for the $$ saved, we can deal with that.

Just 2 observations:

People were bringing huge carry ons on board. That meant because I only had a backpack I needed to get on board quickly or put it under my seat and have little foot space. No biggie-we learned after the first leg and got on as soon as our zone was called.

Our luggage was a mess when we returned home. 2 Luggage tags gone, two cases with tears, two missing wheels. We saw them literally throwing bags about 10 feet onto the belts to get them on the plane. (hmmm, maybe that's why people brought 1 large and 1 small in the cabin with them....) I don't know if baggage handlers are airport employees or AirTran employees, but this was the only downside.

Will I fly them again? Probably, if there is cost savings. (And I may be one of the people bringing larger rolling carry-ons into the cabin;)) But I will also fly Southwest and Jet Blue. I trust them all, and it will come down to itinerary offerings and cost.

Is Airtran one of the airlines that has serious financial concerns (more so than the rest of the industry)? They have some great fares through early November, so I thought about keeping an eye on them until they release fares through the end of November. I just would hate to book and then have them go under. I know some of you here follow the airlines closely and would know much better than I the chances of that happening.

Also, curious as to whether anyone thinks a 1:20 flight from MIA is doable after self-debarking a cruise from Miami. I've had mixed luck with catching/missing flights and I'm chicken at this point, LOL, but that's the only flight showing from MIA that afternoon to where we need to go.

Thanks.

Archived