rcl vs. ncl

bmb

I have cruised twice on NCL and thought about it again on the same ship(the Dawn), but going to Bermuda. Has anybody done this cruise out of NYC? Their experiences and what they thought about Bermuda( 3 days in King's Wharf). Then, I thought about RCL(Explorer of the Seas) out of NJ, to the Caribbean. But, not sure....That ship is a bit older than the Dawn....I just want some info on the stateroom of the RCL(does the balcony room have mini refridges? is the gratutity $10 a day p/p? are there restaurants with cover charges? etc..). Any extra info would be appreciated....just not sure what cruise I want to go with. Go with what I know(freestyle) or try something new? Thanks!!!:)

I have cruised twice on NCL and thought about it again on the same ship(the Dawn), but going to Bermuda. Has anybody done this cruise out of NYC? Their experiences and what they thought about Bermuda( 3 days in King's Wharf). Then, I thought about RCL(Explorer of the Seas) out of NJ, to the Caribbean. But, not sure....That ship is a bit older than the Dawn....I just want some info on the stateroom of the RCL(does the balcony room have mini refridges? is the gratutity $10 a day p/p? are there restaurants with cover charges? etc..). Any extra info would be appreciated....just not sure what cruise I want to go with. Go with what I know(freestyle) or try something new? Thanks!!!:)

The Explorer is a beautiful ship (see photos in the link below). Yes, there are mini/bar refrigerators in the cabins. Yes, the tipping guideline is about $10.00 per day per person (I believe it comes to $9.75). There are two special service restaurants onboard: Chops Grille and Portofino. The surcharge per person at Chops is $25. and it is $20. at Portofino -- both lovely (also photos in the link below).

If you do decide to cruise on Royal Caribbean you should join their Crown and Anchor Society (Loyalty Program) after your cruise. There is lots of information about the program on their website. Basically it is a tiered program whereby you earn more benefits the more often you cruise. It is quite good.

There is a huge thread on these boards entitled All Things Explorer of the Seas which will likely answer your questions better than I have done.

Enjoy your cruise.

Kathy:)

We were on the Dawn many years ago and would never again sail NCL. Many reasons, but I do not like to bash another cruise lines. However, the EX is our favorite ship. More activities, ice shows and cleaner staterooms.

We were on the Dawn many years ago and would never again sail NCL. Many reasons, but I do not like to bash another cruise lines. However, the EX is our favorite ship. More activities, ice shows and cleaner staterooms.

Who needs ice shows when you have Bermuda. jmo. On the Ex you are in Bermuda for what 1.5 days? Bermuda is my favorite island, bar none, but it is prohibitively expensive. By going on the Dawn, which has very positive reviews you will have 3 full days in Bermuda. From Kings Wharf you can easily get to the South Shore pink sand beaches, or take a ferry to St. Georges. The snorkeling is wonderful in Bermuda especially at the Sea Gardens. I have spoken to many people who have taken the Explorer to Bermuda, and they all say the same thing "Not enough time in Bermuda".

If you want more time in Bermuda than the Dawn is a good choice. For the Caribbean I would choose Explorer she is wonderful and a completely different experiance than the Dawn. I do not like freestyle nor NCL's service but that is my choice. Explorer has always been good to us.

Best of luck with your choice and enjoy your cruise.

Archived