Auckland's Acrobatic Tug Boat

Neilius

I promised I'd upload footage of the amazing tug boat captain in Auckland who was doing 360 degree spins in Auckland Harbour the other day.

To anyone leaving Auckland soon, make sure you get out on the back of your ship, make circular motions with your hat, and see if you can get him to do a spin for you too!

What a great way to start a cruise!

Awesome! So does everyone get a dance when they sail out?

I think it depends on the person who’s driving the tug & if they know how to dance….

Out of the 4 cruises I have done, I have seen about two / maybe 3 dances from the tugs.

Of those 9 different cruise ships that I have taken photos off that I have posted here on CC, Yours is the only one that they have dance for when the ship has left, (although recently most of the cruse ships I have taken photos off have left Auckland quite late in the evening).

I think it depends on the person who’s driving the tug & if they know how to dance….

Out of the 4 cruises I have done, I have seen about two / maybe 3 dances from the tugs.

Of those 9 different cruise ships that I have taken photos off that I have posted here on CC, Yours is the only one that they have dance for when the ship has left, (although recently most of the cruse ships I have taken photos off have left Auckland quite late in the evening).

Cool. So I got something that they didn't get on Queen Victoria? :)

We got a show last June when we went out on the Pacific Sun. We were a bit late leaving so maybe they got bored waiting around.

I think that’s maybe true, as I think the times I have seen them on a cruse ship dancing, was because we where late.

The Oriana was late leaving as well.

That is great Neil, looking forward to seeing your other pics or videos of your Oriana trip we were on her last year and just have to stay home this year until July. Who was the Captain this year? Are the Rebound Duo still in Lords Tavern. Did you notice any difference from last year to this and was it as good, worse or better? Disappointed Oriana is not coming out here next year, but am hoping might get a sector on Aurora, haven't been on her yet have heard lots of good things about her, did you find much difference between Oriana and Aurora and which did you like best.

That is great Neil, looking forward to seeing your other pics or videos of your Oriana trip we were on her last year and just have to stay home this year until July. Who was the Captain this year? Are the Rebound Duo still in Lords Tavern. Did you notice any difference from last year to this and was it as good, worse or better? Disappointed Oriana is not coming out here next year, but am hoping might get a sector on Aurora, haven't been on her yet have heard lots of good things about her, did you find much difference between Oriana and Aurora and which did you like best.

G'day Witchy

Our captain was David Pembridge

The musicians in Lords Tavern were "Natural High" - they were sort of like a light rock group and were quite good.

The differences I noticed were:

1. The coffee machines actually make REAL coffee (not instant)

2. The Crow's Next bar seemed smokier

3. The internet had been upgraded and was much faster

4. The NSW coast was rougher :)

5. The sailaways were more animated - it was more of a party atmosphere this year than last year.

All in all I'd say it was as good as last time.

Aurora is a newer ship than Oriana. I like Aurora better because:

1. She's longer so there's room for more stuff

2. The pool up top is covered.

3. There are more balconies so you have a better chance of nabbing one.

4. The Atrium is awesome with a large water sculpture over 3 stories high

5. The Restaurant is nicer - the entry is down a grand sweeping staircase.

6. There seem to be a lot more sculptures and model ships aboard Aurora.

7. Aurora has an electronic virtual golf driving range.

Oriana has at least one advantage over Aurora - she has the Oriana Rhodes Restaurant - it's a Michlelin Star Restaurant that you pay a bit extra to eat at.

Both ships have two things that I love - the Crow's Nest bar, and beautiful sweeping terraces aft which creates a fantastic open public space for passengers which is lots of fun for parties, sailaways, etc. It's really sad that they seem to be doing away with the aft terraces.

I love both ships. I gave Oriana an emotional pat on the side as I dismbarked and managed to keep the tears away but I fear we may not see her here again.

Thanks for the info Neil, not quite as good as being there, but rekindles the memories. I too gave Oriana a hug last year (quite hard to do) thinking we will be unlikely to see here in WA again. We are definitely going to try and get on Aurora for a short sector next year as we have booked a balcony for our Sun Princess cruise this year and think we might not be able to without one after that. So looking forward to your info on Aurora this year and pics of course. Have found your pics from last year and have been having a look at those. Was reading the threads on P&O Uk site which is a bit like this site, and under Oriana saw a thread which mentioned a mini refit for her in April and that she is going to be sent to Australia in a year or two, I doubt that but it doesn't hurt to hope I guess

Archived